1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Z's Journal - The Road to 150

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Zoetastic, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

I'm back, suckas.
    while looking for a new job and after the half marathon, i stopped working out and ate what i wanted. i gained weight and lost whatever "fitness" gains i have made. so.. it's time to stop that and get back on track.

if she can do it, i can do it.
    one of my best friends has been doing weight watchers at her work and she has lost 20 pounds. it's been very inspirational. she looks great! i cant believe how well she has done and it has really reminded me that this is possible without being totally restrictive. she has even commented on it being easier than she expected. she said "it isnt that difficult so it makes me wonder what the hell i was eating before."

that mcgriddle had how many calories?!
    she and i were talking about how it is so easy to not realize how many calories we're consuming in a day. when we dont track it... it gets crazy and we just dont notice it until the belt gets a bit tighter on our pants. lol. some people just have to write this stuff down to be aware of it cause otherwise it isnt going to happen. i am one of these people. ignorance is bliss when you have a weight problem. how many calories were in that fast food i just consumed? i dont know. then no worries, pass the ice cream. riiiiiight.

WW
    WW is based on a "points" system. based on your weight you get X amount of points to eat a week, plus 35 bonus points a week. so the focus is on budgeting your points. yea you can eat a piece of cake but you have to be aware of what that is going to cost you later. i think it's a good focus.
    working out gives me "Activity points" which i can choose to eat or ignore. depending on how i get them will determine if i eat them. example: if i go to a spinning class, i'll need more calories that day so i'll probably end up eating those points. if i just go for a walk or slow jog, i might ignore the extras. im still getting used to my new job and the commute and the schedule but i plan to start hitting the gym in a couple of weeks.

this journal.
    i dont know if this journal needs an actual goal like my half marathon one did. right now my goal is to use weight watchers and their points system to get down to 150lbs. once i get there, i may re-evaluate and either continue on this system or choose something that focuses more on protein/fat/carb ratios. i cant event hink that far ahead right now. im too uncomfortable to get on the scale right now to be honest so i dont know my starting weight. im guessing it's up in the 170s. ughs. i'll hop on at some point but it's gonna take some courage.

ready...set.....go.

2. Zoetastic

i woke up this morning very motivated to stay on track today. i have to plan today because tonight im going out to a movie. i dont have much to eat at the house so my menu is going ot look a bit odd today. it won't always be this ridiculous, i swear :)

here's today's plan:
    10am: breakfast: cereal and milk = 1 pt
    10am: coffee with cream = 2 pts
    12pm: snack: 2 apples = 2 pts
    1:30pm: lunch: soup = 3 pts
    3pm snack: 2 apples = 2pts
    5pm: dinner: soup = 3 pts
    6pm: snack (right before im leavin for the movie): cereal with milk = 1 pt
    10pm: drinks after the movie = 3 of either light beers (2pts each) or rum and cokes (2ps each)

i am in serious need of groceries (obviously), eesh. theres no freakin protein in the house, lol. all i have is apples and cereal and soup, lol. im going to go grocery shopping this weekend.

i need to stock up on bottled water too. i always forget how chronically dehydrated many of us are. it's so easy to confuse thirst for hunger.

i'm actually really excited about this new track i'm on. it sounds counterintuitive since i will be restricting how i eat, but really... it's exciting to know that im taking steps towards being healthier and more fit. :nod:

one of the biggest challenges i face while trying to eat healthier is getting more greens/veggies into my diet, especially at work. salads are meh and canned green beans get old. suggestions?

3. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Do fruit not count? I always find it easier to eat fruit than vegetables! :lol:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck Zoe! After my daughter was born my wife had a lot of success on WW.

If you don't want a full blown salad at work, what about bringing some munchie veggies such as baby carrots, brocolli florets, celery, cut up peppers, etc. They're healthy, very portable, and have a satisfying crunch.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

6. Zoetastic

I also find fruit to be more convenient which is the problem. veggies prove to be a bigger pain to take to work , store, and prepare.

yes, it's a good idea seltzer. it's just tough to eat them plain. but im gonna have to give it a go:nod:

:tu: back acha! glad you're back :nod:

7. Zoetastic

i found out that im supposed to be eating 23 points. yay!

i had a slushy at the movies andc ompletely forgot about the WW stuff. eeeeps. i honestly didnt even put it together until this morning :( . pure sugary sweetness, no idea how many points it was. going to check right now. HOLY CRAP! it was like 8 points!!! im never having another slushy again! luckily, i didnt eat all of my food earlier in the day. so yesterday ended up at: 27pts. that means i used 4 bonus points (23 bonus points remaining).

not sure on today yet. im working my part time job. im gonna run to the grocery store before hand and pick up some snacks so that im not s.o.l. when it comes to having some low-points foods while at work or on my lunch. also gonna pick up some water.

today will be 23 points on the dot.

8. Zoetastic

today was 23 pts. lots of apples, cereal with skim milk, and soup.

im hoping to have something different tomorrow :)

9. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Good luck! I know you'll do very well on this. WW definitely works for a lot of people. My mom lost over 100lbs on it a few years back.

10. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

Ohhh, new journal! :spaz:
    Well, I know your certainly capable of doing whatever you set your mind to (you did complete the half marathon, didn't you?;)), so I'm sure that, with your dedication and positive attitude, you'll have awesome success with Weight Weighters!

:gl:

11. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

Another one to wish you good luck!!! with the attitude of your avatar in mind it won't be a problem to reach 150lbs :tu:

btw, I eat a lot of raw peppers, mushrooms (bought already washed and cut into pieces), cherry tomatoes and cucumbers at the office....

12. Zoetastic

Good Morning Friends!

Thanks for all of the well wishes! I am still feelin good about this.

Here's today's food plan:
    • 2 liters of water. oh yes, it's gonna happen! i already had half a liter on my way to work! woot! started the day off right. i dont need no stinkin coffee... i have water.... which explains why I'M FALLING ASLEEP! :D
    • oatmeal - 2pts (im eatin it right now)
    • apple - 1 pt
    • 100 calorie pack of crackers - 2 pts
    • soup -I'm thinking vegetable beef- 4 pts
    • oatmeal - 2pts
    • 100 calorie pack of cookies - 2 pts
    • can of mixed veggies - 2 pts
    • no idea what dinner will be but probably a frozen dinner about 6 points
    • skinny cow - 2pts
    I'm going grocery shopping tonight after work. I need to decide on a few recipes to make for dinner that i can bring the leftovers to work. something medium points value but with some freaking protein in it. hmmm.

I stepped on the scale this morning. I was so nervous. "Please be less than 180. Please be less than 180!" was my mantra. over and over in my head.

I stepped on and.....171.6. Could have been much worse! Phew! I'm sure I've lost some muscle and I get winded on the stairs faster than I used to. I'm so glad I got off my butt and hopped onto the fitness wagon again cause I was headed down a bad bad path.

I have to decide what day will be my weigh-in day (it's also the same day that my weekly bonus points reset to 35). I'm thinking Wednesday. It seems like a good day for 2 reasons: 1 - it gives me a few days to deal with any weekend splurge issues and 2 - it isn't on a friday. which means there is a less of a "free for all" mentality associated with the weekend.

13. Zoetastic

so far im doin well today. drinking lots of water (and boy, i can tell that my body isn't used to it. im getting up to go to the rest room like every 15 minutes. eeesh).

i work for a company that specializes in bakeware. hence....we have a test kitchen on our floor.... hence...it smells like cupcakes, cookies, and other sweet treats all day long.

the good news is that i never need to go to the test kitchen so i just stay out of there as my way of resisting temptation. it's just tough with all of the sugary goodness smells all day.

14. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Well, it is boring as Hell but this is what I do:

Cook 4-6 boneless chicken breasts on Sunday night. I grill 'em but you could also bake, broil, poach, etc. I vary the type of seasoning from one week to the next. Just sprinkling with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, prior to cooking, works pretty well. Then I store the cooked pieces in a big ziplock storage bag in the fridge.

At night when I get home from work, I cut the florets off of a medium sized broccoli crown and steam them untiil they are just crisp tender, then let them cool. I take one of the cooked chicken breasts and cut it into 1/2" cubes. I put the chicken in one zipper sandwich bag and the broccoli in another. I'm big on zipper bags -- nothing to wash once you're done. :tu: Sometimes I cook a couple or three days supply of broccoli at a time.

I eat 1/3 of this combo at 3 different times during the work day, usually 9 AM, noon and 3 PM. The chicken is lean, has a decent amount of protein and makes it a little easier to choke down the plain broccoli. :D Kidding (sort of).

I typically eat this stuff right out of the bags with my fingers. :o No utensils required.

Sometimes I also microwave a serving of brown rice the night before and eat it with the noon meal. In that case, I use a fork. :lol:

Same stuff, every day. You'd think it would get old but I have actually come to like the routine. YMMV.

15. Zoetastic

was a good day. changed the food up just a tad (ended up eating more fruits and salad and less oatmeal. nothing major).

made a great dinner but im unsure of the points :( it had 1/2 chicken breast - diced, 1/2 cup of whole wheat pasta, salsa, black beans, fat free sour cream, green chiles, and some cheese, all mixed up in a bowl. im guessing... 5 pts. so im right on track :) i actually am currently UNDER points for the day. im at (counts) like 19.... so im gonna have a small bowl of cereal to put me at 22 pts. good enough for me :)

and i drank my 2 liters of water :D

16. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

OMFG Zozo's back.:dreamy:

17. Zoetastic

I'm sure I'm in for another good day of foods :)

I'm feelin good still. I am expecting this to be another day of eating within my points limit. I've found that it can be very easy to focus on the points and forget that you should try to reach other goals such as x number of fruits a day or x number of veggies so I bought some small, low sodium v8 to keep around, stocked up on apples, peaches, and bananas. Also got some cucumbers and tomatoes to make a tomatoe salad later this week. I got a recipe for kale. adding some leafy greens into my diet is a good idea.

i bought some popcorn last night because I guess I can have 3 cups of popcorn for 2 points or something like that. My concern, however, is that popcorn may be a trigger for junk foods. I love popcorn and i'm a little nervous about it. That is the reason I didnt bring it to work today. I'll have to try it later in the week, after my weigh in, to see how i react to it.

today's plan:
    oatmeal - 2pts
    apple - 1 pt
    100 calorie pack - 2 pts
    small, low-sodium v8 - 0 pts
    soup from Chili's - 5 pts
    100 calorie pack - 2 pts
    miso soup bowl- 2 pts
    southwest chicken pasta bake over salad- 5 pts
    skinny cow - 2 pts

I also expect to get my 2 liters of water in. No problem. I'm 1/4 of the way there already :claphigh:

When i read this entry, I feel sort of stupid. I'm eating things like "100 calorie packs" which aren't exactly clean eating. I wonder..do you guys think I'm being a lame ass on this. "Zoe.. you're on a diet but you're eating a skinny cow ice cream sandwich for dessert.......that doesn't seem too healthy." Now.. also, i realize none of you are actually saying that...so...... :) I should stop worrying about it.

But I guess the way that I look at it... is that I'm looking for something I can maintain. So often, we see here at JSF, that when people eat clean, they lose weight. but as soon as they stop focusing on clean eating, they have a hard time maintaining. So really.. my goal is to find a way to lose weight and to be able to maintain it in real-life terms. I think that this program/the way I'm attacking this should help meet that goal. As long as I'm trying to get some fruits and veggies in (and believe me, I am going to start adding more and more into the daily diet plan) then I think it's going to be ok.

#17 Zoetastic, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  18. Zoetastic

(hugs)!

p.s. I kept the same avitar because I know how much you love it :evil:

19. Zoetastic

it was a long day.

am gonna be under points today at 19.

20. Zoetastic

i've been staying on track for the most part. didn't quite make the 2 liter mark yesterday on water but was pretty close.

yesterday's points were 25, I think. So that takes up a few bonus points. No biggie.

Today is going to be rough. I have to work late again.

Today's food plan:
    oatmeal - 2 pts
    banana - 2 pts
    100 calorie pack - 2 pts
    southwestern vegetable soup - 5 pts
    miso soup - 2 pts
    peach - 1 pt
    apple - 1 pt
    mexi chicken bake - 5 pts
    skinny cow - 2 pts

i had a horrible night of sleep. i woke up at 1am because it smelled like SKUNK! I think that one must have sprayed near our a/c unit or something. I really can't explain it but it was horrible. I shut the a/c vent in my room and light a fragrant candle. Then I couldn't sleep because I was uncomfortable sleeping with a flame burning. LOL. it was an interesting night.

It's going to be a 12 hour workday for me, I think. I have a big project, so I should get to it.