1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

zma vs. ETS

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Bigpapi, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

So I have been taking ETS for a little while now and personally, I think the only real benefit that I have felt is better sleep. I still get DOMS from hard lifting sessions and I can't say that taking this product has really helped to recude it. I know it doesn't eliminate DOMS, but I just don't see a huge difference with ETS. Perhaps it has helped others, but I don't think it is doing much for me.

I do like the benefit of better sleep and as I said ETS has worked well for that. I feel though since this is really the only thing that is helping me from this product that I should just take zma when my ETS runs out. I know that zma will not help with DOMS and that's fine I guess since ETS hasn't been doing that either. I do want to continue taking something to give me that deep sleep though.

Anyone taken both zma and ETS? If better sleep is the end goal should I make the switch?

2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Are you taking the full dose? 8 capsules per day? Just checking.

3. Bigpapi

I am. 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening. Maybe I just don't respond well to it. :confused:

4. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

I did find that I got reduced soreness with ETS, and when I stopped taking it my lifts suffered initially. Whether that was reduced recovery from a decrease in sleep quality or something to do with soreness I don't know.

As an experiment I'm currently taking just ZMA to see how much of a difference the Microlactin really makes for me (we all react differently, after all). It's been a couple of months so far and I feel like things have been pretty damn similar to how they were when I was on ETS, so I have no immediate plans to returning to its use. This is certainly not a definitive way of determining what the benefits of ETS are over ZMA, but it's enough to convince me that my body responds to the two pretty darn equally.

I would not suggest taking both, as it is my understanding that an excess of ZMA can cause issues.

As for other sleep-enhancing supplements, a good cheap one is GABA, available as a bulk powder from Bulk Nutrition. It's virtually tasteless, dissolves well, and 1/4 teaspoon a little before bed makes a noticeable difference in how well I sleep, especially if you're having issues with waking up periodically throughout the night.

5. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

Melatonin is another good sleep aid.

6. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I notice improved performance from ETS as well as healthier joints. You might notice a difference if you go off it. I do find ZMA more effective for a great night's rest.

7. Bigpapi

I will be switching to ZMA as a test when I run out of ETS. I suppose the only way to know if ETS was helping in other areas besides sleep is to go off it for a little while.

I'm sure ZMA will be quite effective for a good nights sleep, which I value very much. Melatonin never did anything for me. Tried it for a while and felt I pretty much threw away money. Sometimes you don't know until you try something.

8. JeremyWildcat

JeremyWildcat Well-Known Member

I hadn't ever heard of GABA, might have to give that a try. I was actually going to try ZMA, but it seems to be fairly expensive. That would be nice to sleep right through my standard early morning pee. ;)