1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ZMA vs. Counting Sheep

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by specialk, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I can't sleep.:(

2. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification regarding cycling ZMA or not. I just started to supplement with it and your argument not to cycle makes perfect sense. :tu:

3. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

My ZMA order arrived today. I've never wanted to go to bed (alone) so much.

4. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I gotta question for you ZMA lovers, are you taking it just to sleep better, or did any of you find it cured your insomnia? I have the hardest time falling asleep and I wake up a lot. Melatonin never did much good for me, either. I'm tempted to try this ZMA.

5. NE253

NE253 Active Member

The original reason I started taking it was this:

"The muscle strength increases may have been mediated by the anabolic hormone increases in the ZMA group. The ZMA group had 30% increases in free and total testosterone levels compared to 10 percent decreases in the placebo group... The ZMA group also had a slight increase in insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) levels compared to a 20 percent decrease in the placebo group. This study shows that anabolic hormone and muscle strength increases can be induced in already strength-trained athletes by using a novel zinc-magnesium preparation."

(taken from bodybuilding.com)

That, plus people's description of the improved sleep sold me. I got it for myself & my wife as she doesn't sleep well at all. She finds cycling it for 3-4 days on, a few days off works best for her, but she also doesn't really work out hard or supplement, so it could be part of a behavioral thing for her...I do know that when she's in need of a good night's sleep, she always goes for it.

As for the insomnia, if it's real insomnia I don't know how much if any difference supplementing with ZMA will make.

I don't have insomnia. I am a fairly sound sleeper - always have been. I do notice a remarkable difference in the quality of my sleep though, since taking ZMA.

Also, it's not a very expensive supplement, compared to some of the stuff out there. I use NOW's, which I pay $9.89 for a month's supply.

6. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

After taking ZMA last night I think I had the worst nights sleep in a long time. :blank:

7. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

I usually drink a shake with heavy cream as my last meal. How long do I have to wait before taking ZMA, does anybody know?

8. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

Try it for sure. I find just taking magnesium and zinc as seperate supps before bed helped - past tense because my sleeping patterned changed in the last year so much that it takes me about 30-90 seconds to fall asleep.

Unfortunately I wake up refreshed and 'ready to go' after 4 (sometimes 5) hours! I guess while I'm certainly tired by the time I go to bed, I'm not in that 'overtired' state where you can't get to sleep.

I do sometimes need power naps (20-40 minutes)during the day though.

9. NE253

NE253 Active Member

It took me 3 or 4 nights of usage before I noticed anything. Stick with it.

I usually take my ZMA an hour before bed, then 30 minutes later have my last shake/meal.

10. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

methinks I'll give ZMA a go