1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ZMA vs. Counting Sheep

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by specialk, Oct 25, 2007.

1. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

I have recently started to supplement with ZMA and I'm very pleased with the results so far. I'm a light sleeper and would wake up at least 3 times a night to void. I would always fall back to sleep so I never thought to much about it and figured it was just another benefit of getting older. ;)

Last night was the first time in many moons that I actually slept through the night. So this 45+ year old is giving ZMA a thumbs up. :tu:

2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I was just reading about ZMA last night and thinking about trying it. I also get up one or two times a night to void and it bugs my wife because it wakes up the dog. Maybe I'll give it a try.:sleep:

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I prefer melatonin, myself.

Taken in 2.5-3 mg doses, it is the natural compound your body produces to help maintain sleep. I chew a 2.5 mg tablet about 45 minutes before I need to sleep, and it tends to help me achieve sleep faster and maintain uninterrupted sleep. I have suffered varying degrees of light sleep to moderate insomnia since childhood, and melatonin has proved very useful to me.

Melatonin has about a half dozen positives to it, it's a natural antioxidant, an anti-depressant, and a few other goodies that don't jump readily to mind. I've used it to good results for a few years now.

Do not dose higher than 5-mg, as it's theorized that doses higher than that can have opposite the intended effect.

Have you got any sources citing what ZMA does to enhance sleep, and how it performs that function? Just curious. If there are other options, I'm always looking for the best one.

-R

4. specialk

My understanding is the vitamin-B6 which assists in a deeper sleep. I have been in a sleep pattern cycle for about 7 months where I wake up around midnight, 3 am, & 5 am. I usually void because of the urge to go but I think it has more to do with a poor sleeping pattern I have developed. The ZMA is something I was willing to try to break that pattern. I've taken over-the-counter sleeping aids and have felt sluggish all day afterwards. So far I don't have that fatigued feeling.

#4 specialk, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  5. SanFran_E

SanFran_E Active Member

All for ZMA...

I take ZMA on a regular basis, at least three times a week (usually the days I lift heavy). In my anecdotal experience, I sleep deeper, tend to have more vivid dreams, and my overall DOMS recovery time is reduced. I do not have links to studies to support this, just my experience.

I will say this, though: The dosage seems to matter for me. I have tried deviating above and below the recommended dosage (3 capsules per PrimaForce ZMA) and below has no effect while above seems to disrupt the nice, deep sleep I get.

FWIW, the PrimaForce ZMA reports the following:

Per 3 capsule serving:
    30mg zinc (as monomethionine and aspartate)
    450mg magnesium (as aspartate)
    10.5mg Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride)

E.

6. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

I never noticed the effects of ZMA until I took it during my cutting cycle. It makes my sleep much more deeper and I feel more refreshed when I wake up. It's a staple when I cut now. It doesn't really have much effect on me when I'm maintaining or bulking.

7. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about trying this. Are there any particular brands to try or is one bottle of ZMA the same as the next?

8. SanFran_E

SanFran_E Active Member

Chris: Interesting to note about the cutting phase. I am cutting, so I'll have to see if it changes for me when I'm bulking.

Woodan: I use PrimaForce ZMA because it's relatively affordable on Bodybuilding.com and works for me. I've not experimented with brands.

Best,
    E.

9. chang

chang Well-Known Member

ZMA is one of the few supplements I would actually recommend.

I've used it on bulks and cuts...

During bulking phases I've never felt sore while on ZMA, also the sleep has been very good and I never feel groggy throughout the day.

During cutting phases sleep has also been good, however soreness doesn't completely go away but recovery times from DOMS seem to be quicker than without ZMA.

It's fairly cheap, give it a shot I'm sure you won't regret it.

10. Cramp11

Cramp11 Active Member

Cool. I'm glad it's working out for you specialk. Like my journal says, I just bought some, but I'm going to start it on Monday.

My only problem is figuring out when to take it. I usually have a protein shake with milk before bed. Calcium is a no no. I guess I have a shake an hour earlier and then take the ZMA right before I go to sleep. I'll put the pills in the bedroom.

Hope I get the same results as you.

11. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I've used ZMA for the past year and a half and I love it. I'm not sure about all the stuff it promises to do but I do notice the quality of sleep drastically improves. I used to have some crazy dreams while taking it but now that isn't an issue.

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I just ordered a load of this. I was taking something else at night that had B6 in it. These dreams are crazy. I'm looking forward to some more.

13. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

The mention of deeper sleep made me go out and buy ZMA...since I started drinking lots of water I have to get up 1-2 times a night and my sleep isn't as deep as it used to be which bothers me a bit. do you guys only take this on the days when you train or every day for a few weeks at a time?

14. specialk

I have only just started to take ZMA for about a week and I take it daily or rather nightly. The other thing I discovered is the dosage that's recommended is to strong for me. I had to cut down to 2 pills rather than the recommended 3. I think it's wise to cycle on and off most supplements and intend to run a 20 day cycle for now. Basically 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

15. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

thanks.... the bottle I bought recommends 3 for men and 2 for women, I think after reading your post I'll start with 1 a night and increase to 2 if needed. how did you know that the dosage was too much for you?

16. specialk

I started with 2 a day on non lifting days and 3 on lifting days and my sleep felt the same so I guess I was getting the same benefit with a lower dose so it made sense to go that route.

17. Archistrategos

Archistrategos Active Member

RE: ZMA or melatonin, have you guys stopped taking the supplement for a period of time after starting a regimen, and if so, what if any effects did you notice after stopping?

Is anyone else besides specialk cycling on-off? What pattern are you using?

Did you all have normal sleep patterns before starting (and started supplementing to get better quality of sleep)?

18. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I personally cycle ZMA. I stop the cycle when I finish the bottle. I will usually start another cycle when I'm going through very intense training periods and where the minimal amount of sleep I get I want it to be the best possible quality so that I fully recover. That's what makes ZMA such a popular product, your recovery is much faster when on ZMA due to the increased sleep quality.

I should mention that I do notice increases in acne on my back when taking ZMA, but I think this is just due to increases in free testosterone due to that amazing sleep I get. I also notice some slight mood swings from time to time (anger/irritability)... but it's not that bad. My sleeping patterns are usually pretty normal...

As far as the melatonin goes... I wouldn't use melatonin for very long. You should only use melatonin to regulate your sleeping patterns back to normal and then be consistent and try to stick to those patterns for as long as possible(without melatonin). Otherwise you'll keep messing your patterns up and become reliant on melatonin to help you sleep.

If your sleeping patterns are normal, then you don't need melatonin(unless you absolutely have a really hard time falling asleep at night). If you want increased recovery and really deep sleep, then try out ZMA, you won't regret it.

19. NE253

NE253 Active Member

I use ZMA nightly, usually at least 5 times per week, and cannot say enough about it. I always thought I slept well, but it's remarkable how night & day it is, with the ZMA. Even on the days I don't take it, I still sleep well (like before), but the days I do take it the quality of sleep is just amazing.

Also, I don't cycle it. It's Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6. It's not some crazy compound or supplement, things you wouldn't normally be getting in even the smallest of amounts, through proper nutrition. These are elements that are probably already in your system through diet & your multi.

To me it's comparable to creatine, which is something else I don't cycle.

20. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I supplemented my diet with ZMA a good while back and also noticed that I had much more vivid dreams, which coincided with sleeping deeper.

Be aware that you shouldn't take it with anything that contains calcium.

Exactly.

#20 chicanerous, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007