1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ZMA Supplementation...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by chang, Feb 15, 2006.

1. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Has anybody here tried supplementing with ZMA while on a bulking diet? I've read a lot about this supplements and some of the very nice benefits you can receive from taking it. One that catches my eye is the improved sleep at night, since I am a light sleeping. Although the other benefits such as natural increased free testosterone and anabolic strength gains, have me a bit worried. Is this product really worth taking? Are there potential side effects? I have looked all over the internet but most people say there are no side effects. I find it amazing, shouldn't every body be taking this if the results are so amazing? Is there a catch?

2. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

My friend takes it and has made great gains. (probably due to his diet tho)
    I'm going to try it on my next bulk.

The only side effect I know of is the freaky-ass dreams.

3. chang

chang Well-Known Member

How old is your friend? Just curious.

Do you think there is a certain age at which you should take this, or is it relatively safe for all ages?

4. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

He's 28.
    I have no idea if there's certain ages you shouldnt take it or not.. (i dont know much about it)
    Check over at forum.bodybuilding.com - there's a bunch of threads about it.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I took ZMA before. Now I take ETS (AtLarge's recovery supplement) which has zinc and magnesium in it but they're in a different form (as oxides).

ZMA will give you much deeper sleep, much more vivid dreaming, and, most likely, better dream recall. It's just a larger dose of zinc and magnesium than you would normally get in your diet. It's safe as far as I know for just about anyone.

It's not a miracle supplement but I believe it helps you spend more time in REM sleep when your GH release is highest and can also help to raise test levels as you said. Almost every supplement on the market promotes itself as raising test. If you want deeper sleep, take it. Otherwise, you can skip it.

Note that deeper sleep doesn't mean you'll necessarily be able to fall asleep any better; it's just that once you're sleep, you're going to sleep like a rock.

#5 chicanerous, Feb 15, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  6. A-Pac

A-Pac Well-Known Member

I've been taking ZMA for about 2 weeks now. Although, I am on a cutting diet, not bulking.

I have noticed improved sleep. Although I slept really well before. It just feels like you get a better nights sleep, even if you are sleeping the same amount of hours.

A couple things I noticed though were...
    It took me about 4 days to really get a good sleep. Up until about the 4th day I was really tossing and turning. I dont know if its just me, because like I said I have always selpt well before taking it...I though maybe it had an opposite effect or something.
    If you read up on it, you will hear a lot of people mention vivid dreams. I get them big time! For a while they were really bad nightmares. But now they are not as bad but still really vivid and a bit messed up. I like nightmares though, so I had no problem with 'em. All my dreams are extremely vivd and seem so real now. Its pretty cool.

Besides that I havent really noticed any major difference. Although I am taking several different new supps and started them just a couple weeks ago. And I dont know if it would be any different if I was bulking.

7. chang

chang Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to order some. Any specific brand reccomendations?

8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I took ON's ZMA. I haven't tried any other brands.

I had some really good psychedelic/trip-like dreams while using it -- no nightmares. Like with drugs, what you dream and whether you become more prone to nightmares is going to depend on the user, not the supplement. ;)

9. A-Pac

A-Pac Well-Known Member

I got mine from T-Nation...where I originally heard about it. I did check a few different places, but they seemed twice as expensive.

One other thing to note, if you havent read about it. They highly reccomend not taking it with or around anytime you consume calcium. I know a lot of people eat cottage cheese before bed. So they reccomend taking your ZMA and then waiting about 60-90 minutes before you consume calcium. You dont have to take your ZMA right before you go to bed.

10. A-Pac

A-Pac Well-Known Member

Here's a little Q&A about age...

"Correct me if Im wrong, but I remember Victor Conte, the guy who invented it, said it was ok for High School athletes to take ZMA. He recommended the lower dose that females take for people under 18, and thats 2 caps at night."

"I think it would probably be ok in this case. Although, I think it's more important that a person under the age of 18 understand that ZMA isn't going to "make them huge" and so forth. It's simply a mineral formulation."

11. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I'm mostly interested in the improved sleep and recovery. I've also ordered some melatonin. I hear the two stack nicely. Melatonin, can't go wrong for 10$ for 100-day supply. I'll post results once they come in the mail and I've tested them out for a couple weeks.

That's interesting to hear about the calcium intake though. I'll keep that in mind for sure. I usually have cottage cheese before bed, so I'll make sure to take it seperate from the ZMA.

12. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

If I take the precribed dose it keeps me up.. take two seems ok.. Taking with Glutamine also keeps me up...
    I'm not inmpressed with it...

13. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I used to use it with sleep stack outlined near the bottom of this page: http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/sleep

I'd substitute a good fish oil for the flax, however.