1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ZMA for sleep

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by gareth, Mar 5, 2009.

1. gareth

gareth Active Member

Which component of ZMA induces sleep - the zinc, magnesium, or the vitamin B6.

The reason I am asking is many shops here in Jakarta Indonesia(such as GNC) no longer have ZMA so I have decided to `make` my own by buying the 3 components.

I can get the magnesium and zinc but not the B6 - that comes part of a vitamin combo - and I think if I take B complex before bed I would end up not getting any sleep at all.

Please advise thx.

2. StrykDog54

StrykDog54 Active Member

Sleep

If you are just taking ZMA to help you sleep - you may opt for Melatonin which I think it still available at GNC and may be cheaper than building your own ZMA stack...

Also, try looking on the internet way larger selection and better prices than GNC - just a thought...:tu:

3. gray

gray Active Member

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Probably the b6 and magnesium.

Yeah, I make my own too. I take zinc and magnesium supplements ... I don't really buy ZMA per se.

A b-complex shouldn't keep you awake. I've taken them before bed and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

5. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

For some people, melatonin works great. For me though, it doesn't work so well. It gets me to sleep right away, but then I usually wake up halfway through the night and can't get back to sleep. I'm not sure why this is, but my theory is this: Melatonin has a relatively short halflife, and so the huge dose in the pill causes the body to shut down melatonin production...Therefore, when the melatonin in the pill gets metabolized, I can't sleep any more because melatonin levels in my body are ultra low.

6. SWO LIFE

SWO LIFE Active Member

I use melatonin every night and it knocks me out within an hour. I used to suffer the same midnight wake up and I assumed it was because my body was so rested, because I always felt wide awake at 3 in the morning. I take 3mg now and sleep the whole night. If I don't take it I won't feel tired until midnight or so and then won't get a good rest. Try a small bottle from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and see if it works for you.