1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Zig Zag calculator is wrong?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mzmtg, May 16, 2004.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Well-Known Member

I'm trying to use the Zig Zag calorie calculator, but I dont think it is correct.

Here's the link: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64

Okay, I put in my weight, 185 pounds, simple method.

For extreme fat loss, my calories would be 8 times body weight, 1480 per day. This is listed in the average box. But the amounts listed in the daily boxes do not average 1480. They are:

Sun: 1480
    Mon: 1665
    Tue: 1480
    Wed: 1665
    Thu: 1480
    Fri: 1665
    Sat: 1480

That's a total of 10915 calories for the week.

10915 calories per week, divided by 7 days = 1559 average calories per day.

So, am I reading this wrong, or is it calculating wrong?

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No idea about the zigzag calculator, but I'd be pretty hungry if I followed that meal plan, and I'm only 120 pounds.

3. IronPhoenix

IronPhoenix Well-Known Member

I mean, I see what it's doing, putting you at 8x body weight one day, then 9x the next. Problem in my opinion is that 9x body weight is still too low, certainly not the level at which a jump up from 8x body weight should be at.

If you're trying to sustain this diet for more than a week or two, In my opinion it should be something more like

You'll average out to 1850.

If you're just looking to do a diet for 6-7 days, by all means, follow the
    original, undereating for that amount of time won't kill you.

Actually, now that I think about it, and how Jeremy usually operates his own diets.... those calorie recommendations were probably for before exercise.

Like, if you didn't do any cardio or weights those days, eat that much, 1480 calories, but if you did 300 calories worth of cardio, compensate by eating 300 hundred more calories.

This makes more sense to me.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Well-Known Member

You're both missing my point.

I'm not asking for advice about how many calories to eat. I'm asking if the calc's math is wrong or I'm just crazy.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay,

Looks like the average number is the one that is off in the first column. Your average should be 1559.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

No, sorry. That doesn't make sense. Looks like he intends that extreme fat loss is in fact supposed to average 8 times your body weight, so you'd have to go even lower than 8 times your body weight in some days.

I think you'd need to ask Jeremy to clarify.

7. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I think we're splitting hairs. The calculator is designed to provide a sample zig-zag. It also explains this:

I wouldn't take it as the gospel - some days it may go too low.

Of course, I also always hear the argument that 1500 calories is starvation, a lot of women tell me they need higher calories, etc. That is fine, everyone is different, I can't cut for a photo shoot without going to 1500 calories, and I handle it just fine, despite weighing over 200 pounds ... it's a question of getting the right quality calories (i.e. high fiber foods - vegetables, fruits, etc) so that you are not starving yourself.

The calculator uses simply math on a 7-day cycle, and builds in rounding, so it is not going to be 100%. It is just a template, guideline, starting point if you will. Keep in mind that your food labels have a 20% allowable error by the FDA, so you never really get exact anyway - if you estimate you eat 2000 calories in a day, you are really eating anywhere between 1600 - 2400 calories. A big range, I know, but that's the error built into the system. So your best bet is to find a guideline, stick with it, record your results, then modify it. If you find you are starving or weak, eat more. If your fat loss is stalling, eat less or move more. Adjust it and create what is right for you.

Jeremy