1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Your preferred multi--please share!

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by redsted1, Apr 5, 2005.

1. redsted1

redsted1 Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I searched on here for a good thread about multi's and didn't see much, maybe I need to look harder? Either way, I would like to know which multi-vitamins you have used, why they didn't work, what you use now, and why it does work. I'll start...

I used to use:
    Costco brand Kirkland Signature Multi's
    -made for just everyday use, not for people who put much stress on their body, very little results.
    Natural Man by Release from GNC
    -Ran out, tried something new. They seemed ok, a tad expensive, but worth a shot.

I now use:
    Animal Pak
    -Been using it for a week now, and I feel the hype is very justified. It was recommended to me by friends who had great results. Definitely a good one, I'll continue using it as long as I don't hear of any bad repercussions.

Hope to get some good feedback!

2. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

I've been using GNC's megaman.... seems to work real well. Been using it now for 9 months or so

3. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

animal pak im sure is damn good. its also damn expensive

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Beverly Internationals Super Pak

5. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Beverly Internationals Super Pak (^^^^^^^^this was an easy copy/paste from the above post :lol: )

6. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

\

I use this too. Seems like it would give me everything I need. But maybe I'll buy something different when the bottle runs out. Are animal pak and beverly's superpak really superior in some way? Has anybody been able to notice any results and attribute them to their multi? I changed from a crappy multi, One a Day, to Mega Man years ago when I started lifting, so I can't really tell what my vitamin does or doesn't do.

7. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Beverly's Super Paks are pharmaceutical grade, and provide a host of other needed nutrients. You can grab these for $18 for a 30 day supply from DPS .

8. jsbrook

hmmm. thanks. Is the GNC Mega Man not pharmaeceutical grade? I thought it also was.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Ok guys this might sound strange but how do you know its a good multi? How do you know it works? Could it just be a coincidence that you are working out and eating healthy so you feel good. I have tried several Multis and have never felt any effect what so ever

10. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I use a pharmaceutical grade multi from the company that I partner with - I see a lot of people compare on the price of the bottle, which is like comparing a basket of oranges to a basket of apples, bananas, pears, peaches, and pineapples. When you get inside the bottle and look at the breakdown ... i.e. if it carries CoQ10, Vanadyl Sulfate, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and other antioxidants that might not be part of the USRDA but have certainly been shown to positively impact health, and when you look at the type and potencies of the various ingredients, you'll find some of the more expensive items are actually less expensive. Before I found this company, I was a loyal Beverly user. The main difference between what we have and Beverly is that Beverly is optimized for the intense workouts and recovery of bodybuilders (Assuming a higher protein diet) whereas ours is for optimal health, so it won't have as much of the post recovery but more of the anti-aging, optimal health ingredients.

Here's an article about multivitamins with more info:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=209

Jeremy

11. Methodx

Methodx Well-Known Member

I have been wondering how people can tell a difference with whether a vitamin is good or bad too. I just use One-a-Day for men. Actually, I use the Target version, which has the exact same ingredients for like $7 per bottle. Is this bad? I read Jeremy's article about multi's, but I'm not really sure that I buy the idea that you need to have a pharmaceutical grade vitamin. I don’t think vitamin manufacturers would be allowed to list the ingredients of their vitamin if the actual ingredients differed greatly from the label. It also seems to me like a big company making a big product such as One-a-day would have a decent team of nutritionists and other scientists to ensure that the product had the correct blend of important vitamins and minerals.

Is my thinking off base here?

12. JeremyLikness

It really is easier to believe that the cheaper is adequate, I understand completely. However, whether or not you buy into the idea, the fact is very plain and simple that the DHSEA act does not require adherence to any type of third-party quality controls. There have been numerous studies that have shown the manufacturers are woefully short of delivering what is promised.

Just jump to ConsumerLab's main page:

http://www.consumerlab.com/

And read the endless stream of articles "inaccuracies, major differences" and "85% of ingredient missing in one brand" and "key ingredient missing in some arthritis supplements."

The assumption you made (hey, they are a nutrition company, so they have nutritionists) is an assumption that many people make to justify spending the least amount possible on their most important resource - their health. The truth is that many companies are simply in it for profit, period and point blank. Their budget doesn't go into buying the right ingredients or testing the quality, but into driving the cost down and advertising and promoting. This is why many of the higher quality multivitamins are mainly discovered through word of mouth or distributed in specialty shops or by independent distributors, because the a quality product costs more to manufacture, so it won't compete with the uneducated consumer snatching the cheapest product on the shelf.

For example, athletes are screened for banned substances. Many shelf products are supposed to be devoid of stimulants, etc. However, manufacturers introduce contaminants either through a lack of quality control, or purposefully adding stimulants like caffeine to give the consumer a "buzz" to feel like they have a quality product.

Again, the fact that I partner with USANA aside, here is a third party company that has tested products to find ones that adhere to the label claims and are free of banned substances:

http://www.consumerlab.com/bannedsub.asp

Note there are a grand total of three companies that passed this stringent testing.

Quite honestly, however, I am a firm believer "if it's not broke, don't fix it." I wouldn't just trust me or my experience (we have been living healthy for over 5 years now, but it was only when we began investing in a quality multi that we noticed my wife no longer had her "chronic" bronchitis, I no longer suffered from my seasonal sinus infections, and my daughter even came down with a viral infection that is usually characterized by a high fever, and in fact only had one day where she got up to 99) ... but when I started working with doctors who were focused on helping their patients using natural means to manage conditions, rather than prescribing medications for everything - I was at a nutrition seminar with people who had fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and other conditions, who had been spending hundreds on medications that had horrible side effects, and they were literally in tears sharing how after going to a quality pharmaceutical grade multivitamin, they were able to stop taking medication and even saw improvement (reduction of symptoms) greater than what the medicine could provide (one woman could barely get out of bed from the pain and now walked with a smile). No, I can't say these are directly related to a multivitamin or that it was a "cure" for anything - all I can say is that it is a large group of people with the impression it made a difference (many had been taking the cheap grocery store brands before that).

If you haven't tried one, you owe it to yourself to invest in one for just one month to see if it makes a difference. It may not. My experience and the experience of literally dozens and dozens who have tried that is otherwise ... most find there is a difference when you get what you pay for, and instead of going for the 100% minimum requirement for survival, get the optimal amount for good health.

Jeremy

13. jsbrook

Thanks Jeremy. I took a look at the ingredients on the GNC Mega Man. It has 25 mg. of alpha lipoic acid, green tea extract, 105 mg antoxidant fruit and vegeatble blend (citrus bioflavoniods, carrot powder, apple fruit powder, MUCH more), Vanadium as Sodium Metavandate, 100 mg of an amino acid blend, and many other things vitamins like One a Day don't seem to have. No CoQ10 that I could see, though. How do you think it stacks up? IF there's really a benefit I'd switch to the one you mentioned or the Beverly product, but I'd rather not if there's no real need. Price is not so much my concern. I just have 1/2 a bottle left and another unopened one.

14. JeremyLikness

I do believe the GNC and Beverly are both pharmaceutical grade, so I wouldn't have any doubts about the quality of either as they must adhere to third-party testing standards. I know Beverly and all of their products are first rate.

As for the other nutrients, it is all really a question of what you feel your body deserves. As I am not a scientist, I really cannot say - what I've chosen to do is align myself with doctors and expert nutritionists who not only have dedicated decades to research into how the body responds to nutrition, but also have hundreds (even thousands) of clients who have also received a benefit from their guidance.

Having said that ... I don't have a basis for comparison, nor would I feel I am knowledgeable enough to say good, bad, or the other. If you like what you receive from what you take, I'm not one to encourage you to try something different. I haven't had personal experience with the GNC. In the past, I used Beverly MultiPak, which was fine for me but gave my wife migraines. We both noticed a difference when we switched from that to our current.

There is a book called the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements that compares about 500 products against a blended standard. I've mentioned it before. Some consider it biased because it rates the company that I partner with #1. However, what is interesting to note is that many of the doctors on the panel who helped determine the standard have their own lines of multivtamins, so I find it hard to believe they'd skew their recommendations to boost the ranking of a competitor. In fact, there is a new guide that looks at children's multis and our product did not get the top score in that book, as I understand (I haven't bought that one yet).

The way it scores is by assigning values to various nutrients. Supplements are penalized if they have too little of something considered to be essential for optimal health, and they are also penalized if they have too much of a nutrient like Vitamin E or D that is known to be toxic in higher doses.

With 100 being a perfect score, the top 10 products have scores ranging from 96.1 down to 75.1.

The GNC Ultra scored 46.9, which while not in the top percentiles is definitely far superior to products like Centrum which scored a 5.2. According to the comparative guide, GNC scored low on several different nutrients, had caution flags for including Vitamin A which is potentially toxic in higher doses rather than beta carotene which the body converts as needed, has iron, and lacks Vitamin K, CoQ10, Phenolic compounds (antioxidants found in the olive), Procyanidolic Oligomers (antioxidants found in grapeseed, wines, etc that seem to act as natural COX II inhibitors), l-Carnitine, Lecithin, and Vanadium.

Jeremy

15. jsbrook

Thanks. I'm happy that the GNC is a pharmaceutical grade, and I should be getting much of what I need. But some of the caution flags you mentioned concern me, although the Mega Man does have 10 mcg of Vanadium and 80 mcg of Vitamin K, and 50% of the Vitamin A comes from beta-carotene. Maybe these aren't sufficient or maybe it's been improved since the study/book. I'll be doing my homework. And I'll consider the merits of switching to the Beverly product or the one you mentioned and possibly do so. thanks again,

Justin

16. redsted1

Wow, that's a ton of great info, hopefully we can hear what others say too. Thanks Jeremy, I think I'll keep testing things out, I wouldn't mind testing out a pharmeceutical grade multi even if it does cost more. Animal Pak may be a little too pricy though, so maybe GNC? I've also been looking at Vitamin World's Greensource, unsure of what it's about, anyone heard anything?

17. redsted1

Yeah it is, about $30 for 44 packets, and you take one packet a day. I don't know if I can afford if for very long, but we'll see. Might have to try a different alternative.

18. redsted1

Jeremy-I looked at the USANA website, and I am kind of confused on which stuff you're talking about. Are you recommending "The Essentials" to us? Or something else? Thanks!

19. JeremyLikness

I really can't say I'm "recommending" anything. I'm only suggesting that you review different materials and decide what may offer value to you.

The product you mentioned is the complete multivitamin (antioxidant and chelated mineral). It retails higher than what I have it available for - when people are interested, I ask them to contact me offline (e-mail, etc) so I can provide it at wholesale cost rather than retail.

Jeremy