1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

You have to work for it

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Rise, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Rise

Rise Active Member

Last week was basically a black hole when it came to making good decisions, between work, work dinners, and family visits I only got in about a 1/2 workout all of last week. I tried to eat mostly healthy but when you don't choose your menu that can be difficult. Still, all is well! My dad came to visit and brought me a new (to me) bench that he doesn't use. This bench has incline/decline & the leg extension attachment (although no hamstring curls). So on the plus side, I got to use that a few times since being back at it.

Week 4, workout 1: Chest & Tri's
    Sets: 3, Reps: 10, Rest: 60-90s

Incline DB Bench: 40, 45, 50's
    Incline DB Flies: 10, 15, 20's
    Paralette Dips (heels on bench): +25x10, +35x10, +45x10
    Skull Crushers: 45, 55, 60#
    DB kickbacks: pass (time)
    Abmat situps: 20, 20
    Time: 45 minutes

This workout was great! First time using the new incline bench and expanding the muscle groups I can hit. They were surprisingly hard so I'm glad I went a little lighter on the weight than I was first considering. Really psyched to have the new gym capability.

Week 4, workout 2: Leg Daaaaaaaay
    Sets: 3, Reps: 10, Rest: 60-90s

Squats: 135, 155, 185x10
    Leg extensions: 35, 35, 35x10
    Lunges: +30x10, +30x10, +40x10
    Calf raises: 80x10, 80x10, 90x10
    KB swings: 35, 35, 35x10
    Leg raises: 20, 20, 20

Time: 50 minutes

This was the first fully complete workout I've had in a few weeks without passing on anything and again, this is my first time doing leg extensions with the new bench. They felt great, it's amazing how quickly you can notice "oh, I haven't worked this particular muscle out much, have I?" Pretty happy with the weight I managed as well, and my back didn't hurt at all which is good news since it had been bothering me slightly over the past few weeks.

I'm switching my schedule up a bit as well, I'm going to go for M, Tu, W, Th & Saturday workouts with M-Th being the normal split and Saturday being a crossfit-esque workout. Time to kick it into high gear!

2. jcarson702

jcarson702 Active Member

"Twinges" not a good thing, watch your form brother, form above all.

Lets not get hurt!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congrats on the new piece of equipment!

4. Rise

Rise Active Member

Yep, I focus on it all the time. I think its more from my posture sitting in a chair all day at work that causes me issue.

Thanks Seltzer! It is nothing pretty but it gets the job done :bb: While driving home the other day from work, I saw a kid out in his driveway laying on a flat bench with a small barbell and some weights (prob ~90-110#) just laying on his chest because the bench didn't have a bar rack. I admired his dedication and I definitely can't complain about what I have if he's knocking it out with an even more minimal setup. It just adds to the challenge I guess!

---

Week 4, workout 3: Shoulders
    Sets: 3, reps: 10, rest: 60-90s

Handstand pushups: 10, 10, 8 **
    Shrugs: 115, 135, 135x10
    DB raises (front & sides): 10s x10, 15s x10, 20s x6
    Pullovers: 45, 55, 55x10
    time: 40 minutes

** so hand stand pushups was a last second change and I did the first set of 10 surprisingly easily off the floor. Then I decided to try and get fancy with them and use my 10" high paralettes to start much lower (about 10" :)). Didn't happen, couldn't even get out of the hole. In fact, it seems like it will be a while before I can go full depth with them so I'm going to try and stack some pads up to work my way down. Nevertheless it was a fun attempt!

Everything else was pretty good, though I need to think of some more exercises to add to this day, it's feeling too light.

Skipped my workout this morning in favor for tomorrow, I've got some DOMS everywhere from this week's step up. I guess that's a good thing, but walking up the 3 flights of stairs to get to my office every morning has been painful :lol:

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You appear to have a well equipped home gym. Do you have any cardio equipment?

6. Rise

Rise Active Member

That's next on the list for winter... looking to get a rowing machine. For now all I have is a 15 yr old mountain bike, a speed jump rope and a weighted jump rope. Although with the rings and box, those can be used as "cardio" equipment too :) Also, I guess I could always run, but I'm not a huge fan of running, these days.

7. Rise

Rise Active Member

Week 4, workout 4: back & bi's
    sets: 3, reps: 10, rest: 60-90s

SLDLs: 135x10, 205x10, 215x10, 220x10
    Ring Muscle ups: 1 :lol:
    Ring Pullups: 10
    --------14 hour break--------
    bicep curls: 20s, 25s, 30s x10
    abmat situps: 25
    narrow grip hanging BB rows: bwx10, 10, 10

Today's workout got split between 9am and about... 11pm. Today was my daughter's 4th birthday so I didn't want to take away from what she wanted to do today with a longer workout. Also, I was pretty hungover and wasn't feeling so hot after finishing deadlifts and pullups.

The workout itself was good, definitely getting towards the place I like to be in terms of weight/reps for deadlifts, and I may not go up much for the next few weeks as I make sure I get very comfortable with this weight level. 225# for sets is great at this weight. I also was planning on trying muscle ups for "sets" but it was really difficult and it didn't look like I was going to get any further with that endeavor. So I switched to pullups, did 10 and got ready to head to the zoo with my daughter! Finished the rest just a bit ago while watching Tv.

Happy Friday!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

IMO, you absolutely made the right choice in subordinating your workout to spending time with your daughter on her special day. Well played sir!

9. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thanks Seltzer, she definitely has me wrapped around her finger :D

---------

Sunday workout
    Week 5, workout 1: Chest & Tri’s
    Sets: 3, reps: 8, rest: 60s
    Decline DB bench press: 40s, 45s, 55s, 60s
    Decline DB Flies: 15s, 20s, 25s
    Ring dips (unassisted): 8, 8, 8
    Skull crushers: 45#, 55#, 60#
    DB Kickbacks: 10#, 5#, 5#
    Abmat situps: 30

This workout was pretty decent. This was my first time trying the decline bench feature of my new bench, and it was Ok. I started light because I was struggling to sit on the bench properly and it took me 2 sets to figure out all of the proper adjustments, add weight to the leg extension for stability, etc. Once I figured it out, I was able to do some normal weight, and even threw in a bonus set.

When it was time to do ring dips in the garage, I had my workout partner (4yr old daughter) come help and she got to try holding herself up on the rings for as long as she could for her workout. I had to keep the rings steady for her though  The dips were really hard, as expected, and so the skull crushers showed no progress, and I had to go really light on the kickbacks because my triceps were actually cramping up. It was fine though, I still made sure I had a good squeeze at the end of each rep. Finally, my daughter helped hold my feet down while I did 30 situps and we called it there.

Happy Monday!

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sounds as if you have a fine workout partner! :)

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Ditto

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

She can be a bit distracting at times, but yes, definitely :tucool:

---
    Wednesday Workout: Leg Day
    Sets: 3, reps: 8

Front Squats: 95x8, 115x8, 135x8, 145x8
    Plate Ext's: 45x8, 50x8, 55x8, 60x8
    Lunges: 35x8, 40x8, 40x8
    Calf Raises: 100x8, 110x8, 110x8
    KB Swings: 24
    Leg raises: 30

Time: 60mins

Friday Workout: Shoulders

Push press: 20x8, 30x8, 40x8, 50x8
    Shrugs: 115x8, 145x8, 155x8, 165x8
    Front raises: 15s x8x2
    Side raises: 15s x8x2
    Medball twists: 60

Time: 40 mins

Good couple of workouts, the leg day totally shredded everything I had. I literally couldn't get out of my seat later that day and was using a lot of arm strength to walk up steps, get up, etc.

In other news, my spud inc. standalone pulley arrived yesterday, so I'll be hooking that up this weekend to add it to the arsenal. This will allow me to do different tricep extension/pulltime type of work which is exciting!

Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

13. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

What sort of attachments did you get?

14. Rise

Rise Active Member

At the moment, I only have the double strap that came with it. Not sure I'll get anything else unless I come across a good deal at a garage sale or craigslist.

---

Wow, it's been a month and a half since my last post! :eek: I haven't stopped, although I did have a 4 week break due to extended sickness, work travel, and personal travel. I've been back at it for a couple of weeks and don't appear to have lost much progress, thankfully. I also decided to switch the routine back to something closer to what I first tried, instead of the 4 day split. I've been struggling doing so many work outs, so instead of a 3-day a week TBBT routine, or a 4 day a week split, I'm going to do an every other day TBBT routine (technically 3.5 days a week), and see how that works out. My "weeks" will be broken up into 4 day groupings instead of a traditional week routine. I find the 7 day loop can feel so restrictive.

I have to get back into the habit of posting my updates though, it's amazing how hard it can be to get back in the swing of things after a break like that.

W1D1:

W1D2:

W1D3:

W1D4:

Will edit in the workouts later... time to put the kiddos to bed.

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Tough having a routine with a lot of travel. Good to know you are still at it though.

16. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thanks macdiver!

---

12/3 Workout:
    Rower (new!) - 1036; 4:58

12/4 Workout:

3 sets, 8 reps, 90s rest

Pull ups - 8, 8, 10, 10
    Standing MIl Press - 30, 40, 45
    RDLs - 135, 175, 205, 225
    Dips - 16, 16, 16
    Rows - 40, 55, 55
    DB Raises - 10, 10, 15
    Leg raises - 20, 20, 20
    Rower - 1141m; 5:04

12/5 Workout:
    Rower - 1536; 6:36

Back in the swing of things, had a great workout yesterday. I also picked up a new rower so that I'd have a cardio option in the winter. I think I've mentioned here before that I have decided that I just dislike running so I had been biking in the summer and for the winter I'll be using the new rower. It's a concept 2 and it's pretty schweet! That said, it is a miserable workout which should be obvious from my times so far :lol:

I'm hoping to get up to around 20-25 min row sessions as a general goal. But as of now, I'm pretty sure you have to be a machine to row that much... Short term goal is 10 minutes by the holidays.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congrats on your new rower.

That was one nice workout on 12/4. :tucool:

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice piece of equipment.

19. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thanks! I'm feeling it today...

Yes for sure, a bit pricey but it is definitely a quality machine that I'm already enjoying. :tu:

20. Rise

Rise Active Member

12/6 - got another one in

Sets: 2, Reps: 15, Rest: 120s; Alternating pairs of exercises each set

squats - 45, 135, 160
    L-sit pullups - 10, 10
    flat bench - 50, 55
    One arm rows - 40, 45
    tricep extensions - 40, 40
    Curls - 20, 20
    Abmat crunches - 20, 20, 20

Great end to the weekend with the workout today, my body is toast after that one. Squats felt great, the L-sits were a last minute change due to laziness in not wanting to change the bar from squats to top rack position for pullups (I use my barbell as a pullup bar). They went better than I expected. Planning to row tomorrow.

Bring it on, Monday!