1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

You have to work for it

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Rise, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Rise

Rise Active Member

Well hello there JSF, long time no see. My last post: 4.5 years ago :blank: :whistle:

Starting over after 5 years growing up, having kids, climbing the ladder, etc. I've done a variety of exercising on and off over that time frame but not consistently with a heavy travel schedule (80%+). Done traveling for the most part now, starting a new job with new challenges and new stability in 2 weeks (4/20). And now it's time to get back to where I like to be, mentally & physically.

Starting weight: 153# bf%: 100; muscle mass: zero
    Short term goal: drop to 140# doing cardio/bw/light weight exercise
    Long term goal: back to 155-160# like I was 5 years ago.

Day 1:

Calories: 1500
    Food: cereal & 1%, bagel & tuna salad, tilapia, broccoli & rice, wasabi & soy sauce almonds (1 serving)

Exercise:
    10 mins "jump rope" (10 mins was ambitious)

3 sets of:
    5 pullups (rings)
    10 pushups
    10 abmat crunches (10, 10, 3—cramped)

feel like I'm dying. see you tomorrow. :tu:

#1 Rise, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Welcome back.

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Nice to see you Rise.

4. Rise

Rise Active Member

Thank you, good to see you guys are still going strong! :tu:

Day 2:

Feeling pretty good so far, slightly sore but it will probably be tomorrow that I'm really sore.

Food:
    breakfast: bagel & tuna salad: 492 cal
    lunch: tilapia, brown rice, broccoli: 415 cal
    snack: fresh mozz & tomato: 287
    dinner: burger, whole wheat bun, asparagus: 440 cal
    total cal: 1634

Exercise:
    1 mile run, 10 mins. "Ran" without stopping

planning on running, low weight deadlifts, low weight shoulder press. Just mixing things together for now to get back into the groove. probably going to stick to mostly cardio until I hit the 140# goal and then decide on a program. I don't think it really matters what I do as long as I'm burning.

also, using myfitnesspal to capture calorie intake. don't have a food scale yet so some of it is slightly estimated.

#4 Rise, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  5. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 3:

Happy Easter!

Today is indeed sore day, the first of many I'm sure. Went to the zoo today with the kids & walked for about 2&1/2 hours with a lot of hills/carrying my 3yr old daughter on my shoulders. I estimated about 100 minutes worth of actual walking in between stops.

weight: forgot to weigh myself this morning

Food:
    breakfast: Plain oatmeal :rolleyes: & Raisins, 1 orange: 279 calories
    lunch: asian chopped salad (3 cups) with noodles and sauce packet, 1 cup sliced chicken: 531 cal
    snack: 1/2 cup roasted almonds & sea salt: 340 cal
    dinner: cocktail shrimp & white rice w/ sriracha sauce: 462 cal
    snack 2: wasabi & soy sauce almonds: 170 cal
    total cal: 1782

Exercise:
    100 mins walking

deadlifts: 45x12, 65x12, 95x12, 95x12
    incline rows with rings: 3x10
    shoulder press: 40# 3x10
    10 pull ups
    3x10 abmat crunches, made it through the last set this time (progress!)

I didn't do the weight lifting yesterday, did it today instead. Also, Sriracha sauce makes everything better, seriously. On the food topic, I'm felt really full today, for most of the day. Not sure if I'm not estimating how much I eat well (things that use cups were all physically measured) but I feel like I'm over eating. I got a food scale on the way which should help going forward but I can't imagine I'm that far off on estimates.

#5 Rise, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 4:

I'm very sore today, especially my legs.

weight: 153#

Food:
    breakfast: Rice krispies & 1%; OJ: 396 cal
    lunch: turkey cold cuts on whole wheat bread; almonds: 537 cal
    snack: cocktail shrimp: 270 cal
    dinner: Italian sausage, 1/2 cup spaghetti, tiny piece of garlic bread: 481 cal
    snack 2: none
    total cal: 1684 (-88 from goal)

Exercise:
    walked 20 mins around the block (rest day)

Debating on what to do yet. I'm quite sore and not sure my legs can take too much more today. I might just make it a light day with a couple laps walking around the block (1 mile each lap) or some low intensity jump rope. I'm eyeing a rower from Rogue fitness as well, not sure on that one yet.

My weight is still at 153# but I think a large portion of that is water weight from the higher sodium content food I've been eating paired with the high amounts of water I'm drinking again. If that's true, the weight should get back to dropping in the next day or so, or I'm full of it. :confused:

#6 Rise, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 5:

Feeling better, feeling thinner (probably mental), and feeling stronger

weight: 152#
    waist:
    biceps:
    quad:
    chest:

Food:
    breakfast: instant oatmeal & 2% milk, 4oz OJ: 446 cal
    lunch: Ruby Tuesday's grilled chicken Parmesan salad (~1 tbsp dressing): 535 cal (1.3k sodium ugh)
    snack: none
    dinner: breaded chicken cutlet (~8oz), mashed potatoes (1/4 cup), yellow corn (1/4 cup): 460 cal
    total cal: 1441 (-233 from goal after exercise)

Exercise:
    1 mile run, 9:50 (-10s!)
    cool down walk

I changed when I weigh myself slightly, so the drop is uhhhh, water weight, most likely. it seems like this would be more consistent going forward so that's the new plan. Also going to start taking some waist & arm measurements starting tonight. Will post later. Food scale should be here tomorrow so my calorie intake should be a bit more accurate going forward. I'm trying to stay a bit under just incase I'm really underestimating. So long as I feel fine, I'm not concerned.

Also thinking about doing something like p90x starting next week. The faster I drop the faster I can bulk :eat:

8. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 6:

Rest day! Need to be careful and not over do it at the start. Also, today is a long day on little sleep.

weight: 151# !
    waist: 36" as measured last night
    biceps: not measured
    quad: not measured
    chest: not measured

Food:
    breakfast: special K cereal, 2% milk, OJ (4AM), instant oatmeal & 2% milk, 4oz (9AM): 816cal
    lunch: Chipotle - sofritas soft tacos, brown rice, corn salsa, lettuce: 685 cal
    snack: beef jerky: 160 cal
    dinner: breaded chicken cutlet (4.75oz) & 2 flax seed ball things (no idea cals): 335
    total cal: 1869 +~100 - 450cal above goal

Exercise:
    Rest day, but was generally active today outside.

So that waist measurement was a wtf moment for me today, never seen a number that high before :eek: I suppose that's the opportunity right there though, and I'm looking forward to seeing it drop. Also, calories look pretty high today, but honestly I didn't over eat at any point in the day, kept dinner really light to balance the lunch out (heavy sodium again, ugh). Waking up early really just really extended my day and not too surprisingly, the amount of calories I needed to function throughout the day. Got my food scale in today, so that was awesome.

The next couple of days will be rough, my last 2 days at my current job and everyone wants to go out to eat. Friday will be the hardest though, I'm going to buffalo wild wings for a goodbye party and will likely have a couple of beers and some amount of unhealthy food. Oh well, Saturday will just have to be my first real work out :evil:

peanut ball thing recipe: http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/peanut-butter-protein-balls/ (pretty tasty)

9. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 7:

2nd to last day at my old job~ :cool:

weight: 151.0# (-.2 from yesterday)

Food:
    breakfast: special K cereal, 2% milk, OJ (4AM): 426cal
    lunch: diner tuna melt & fried chips: 771 cal (est from myfitnesspal)
    dinner: 2 fried eggs, 2 pcs whole wheat toast, 1/2 tbsp butter: 456 cal
    snack 2: peanut butter balls things: 127 cal
    total cal: 1780 (-4 above goal after exercise)

Exercise:
    3 minutes jump rope
    50 burpees
    1 mile run (10:15 pace)
    5 min cool down walk

it was announced at our morning meeting that we were going out for lunch today as a group which was a surprise to me, figured I'd go out with a couple of friends but it was nice of people to take me out for unhealthy food ;) Kept it as healthy-ish as I could without eating another salad. Went with the tuna melt and convinced myself it was good protein, but after I put the calories in myfitnesspal I had insta regret and decided I'd have to have a tougher workout as a result. I was going to do some weight lifting but changed it to 50 hellish burpees instead, before going on a run.

Last day tomorrow! :eek:

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You're off to a fine start.

11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That says a lot about you, that your group was taking you out for a good-bye lunch.

Thanks for posting that recipe. I could even handle that. I would say though, that it is misnamed. I wouldn't really call it high protein, but I am sure it tastes very good. You seem very disciplined, I don't know if I could stop at two.

12. Rise

Rise Active Member

until last night anyway :lol:

Yeah true, just healthier than most snacks, especially those that come from the pantry.

Day 8:

Day 8, day of defeat

weight: 150.2# (-.8 from yesterday)

Food:
    breakfast: special K cereal, 2% milk, OJ: 426cal
    lunch: taco salad (730 cal)
    dinner: 5 beers, chicken wings, assorted junk: 1464 cal :eek:
    snack 2: wasabi soy sauce almonds (170 cal)
    total cal: 2790 (-1270 above goal :doh:)

Exercise:
    none today, no time. Today was my last day at work and we went out to celebrate at BW3. I was prepared for this and so we'll call today my first cheat day. I'm not planning on having weekly cheat days so this should be the last one for quite a while, at least for the rest of the month of April.

Day 9:

Day 9, back in line

weight: unknown, probably 180 after last night

Food:
    lunch: bagel & tuna salad: 608cal
    snack: roasted almonds & sea salt: 170
    dinner: tilapia/rice/chipotle onions & green pepper's from wife's dinner: 270 cal
    total cal: 1418 (102 below goal)

Exercise:
    as soon as my head stops pounding, I'll probably go for a run. My shoulders are really sore from the burpees a couple of days ago, so I don't want to lift today. I'm planning on deadlifts tomorrow though, and hoping the scale is forgiving when I check in tomorrow.

#12 Rise, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  13. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 10:

weight: 152.2# (+2 from last weigh in)

Food:
    lunch: Tuna salad on whole wheat toast: 603cal
    snack: wasabi & soy sauce almonds: 170cal
    dinner: baked walleye 6oz fillet, brown rice, sriracha, sauted zucchini & onions: 451cal
    snack 2: Peanut butter chocolate chip balls: 127cal
    total cal: 1741 (-88 above goal)

Exercise:
    3x10 ring pull ups with slight toe touches at the bottom
    deadlifts: 45x15, 95x10, 115x10, 115x10
    dumbbell rows: 3x20x10

1 mile run: 9:25 (-15s!)

Ended up doing nothing for exercise yesterday, didn't ever feel up to it with the atrocious hangover. I went to bed early and hit it hard today though. Got some plans for either insanity or p90x next week... not sure yet which.

14. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 11:

weight: 151.4# (-.8 from last weigh in)

Food:
    breakfast: special K cereal, whole milk, OJ: 446cal
    lunch: Peanut butter on whole grain english muffins: 450cal
    snack: wasabi & soy sauce almonds: 170cal
    dinner: pizza hut garden salad, low sugar oatmeal & whole milk: 470cal
    snack 2: Peanut butter chocolate chip balls: 127cal
    total cal: 1663 (-68 above goal)

Exercise:
    Dug dirt for an hour in the back yard.

I'm putting together a raised garden and had to dig out about a yard or so of dirt. I have to pick up the wood tomorrow, hopefully the weather holds out! Still some leveling to do yet, but I was done after an hour and a half of digging in the random 80 degree weather we're having here.

15. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 12:

weight: 151.2# (-.2 from last weigh in)

Food:
    breakfast: special K cereal, whole milk, OJ: 446cal
    lunch: Swai filet, rice & sauted onions/zucchini: 455cal
    snack: PB balls: 127cal
    dinner: burger & sweet potato fries: 750cal
    snack 2: mango sorbet & light popcorn: 410cal
    total cal: 2188 (-485 above goal)

Exercise:
    built this: http://imgur.com/lafnRFM

the garden continued today with getting, moving, and cutting lumber. It also featured some more digging of mud. All in all, I was exhausted at dinner to the point where I decided to go a bit overboard on calories to catch up a bit. I was feeling almost ill so I conciously went over probably 400 calories from what I was planning originally. I have a few more days of this to go before it's all said and done with moving 1.5 yards of soil to fill the raised garden and then another 4 or 5 yards of mulch (whatever my wife ends up ordering...). So I'm ok with maintenance level calories (at a 500cal deficit anyway).

16. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 13:

weigh in: 151.4#
    Calories: 1990 (-450 above goal before 4 hours of manual labor)

Day 14:

weigh in: 151.4# again
    Calories: 1461 (-5

I'll probably stop listing my food since it's all on myfitnesspal and I don't think anyone here cares what I eat :lol:

Finished building the raised garden yesterday, went to the chiropractor today after tweaking my neck from all of the dirt transport. Tomorrow should hopefully be the last day of the landscaping project here, topped off by a massage that is long past due for my 7yr anniversary. It's a good way to unwind after a long week of yard work :)

I was pretty strict on my diet today since I didn't do much in terms of physical activity. It was definitely a much needed off day, and I'll be back at it tomorrow.

17. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I noticed you're going way low on the calories. I understand that is a reaction to wanting to be fitter. But evey time I go that low I get a lot of feedback to ramp up the calories. I see that as trying to make me bigger. Aren't you fairly big already? I know your lifts are very heavy. Just say I am curious and want to learn.

18. Rise

Rise Active Member

Hi leftyx, actually my lifts were heavy, now I'm pretty weak and I'm working my way back up. I'm trying to lose about 10-15 pounds before I work towards more of a bulk and just doing general cardio & strength training for the short term. When I'm ready to pack some muscle back on, I'll be much higher in calories (like +1000).. the trick is to keep them as clean as possible. mastover had a really good bulking routine: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=38521 worth a look if you want to try something different. I gained close to 10# on it.

Day 15:

weigh in: 151.8# (+0.4)
    calories: 2235 :twitch:

Exercise:
    Finished mulching, for the most part (see below for final product!)

I did another 2 yards of mulch today and worked up a pretty good sweat as I was running back and forth with the wheel barrel after lunch. I'm starting to feel much stronger and ready to push it a bit more than I have in the past couple of weeks. Calories were high because i had 3.5 beers tonight that I wasn't planning on having. A friend had a surprise BBQ and I managed to eat mostly healthy but overdid it slightly on the booze. Yuengling summer wheat really hit the spot though after not having touched alcohol in 2 weeks. Ah well, not too terrible in the grand scheme of things, overall my alcohol consumption is way down so I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

[​IMG]

19. Rise

Rise Active Member

Day 18:

weigh in: 151.2# (-.2 from last)
    calories: 1991

Stayed pretty good with everything up until today (tho today was good too) but had nothing to really write since I didn't do any real exercise again until today. I did continue a good pace of yard work and it showed in today's workout that yard work can build strength too :) Took yesterday off as a rest day.

Exercise:
    5 rounds of:
    5 pull ups (rings)
    10 push ups
    15 sit ups
    20 body weight squats

time: 16:20

Solid workout, managed to do significantly more than my first attempt at a lesser version not even 3 weeks ago. Abs aren't cramping up anymore, pull ups & push ups are getting "easier" as well. Feeling good!

Looking to start ordering some gym essentials and putting a real gym in the basement. Considering a bench, squat rack, oly bar, and some dumb bells up to maybe 60# for now. Also going to make a plyo box by hand. Any other suggestions?

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Progress!