1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another MAX-OT question... # of sets?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Somanatin, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Somanatin

Somanatin Well-Known Member

Ok... I've printed out and read the MAX-OT guide that John linked to on his site, and I've searched around the net to answer my question, but I am still lost. According to the guidlines, a typical workout should not exceed 30-45 minutes. However, I also see that many people do mulitple warm-up sessions (with 10-12 reps instead of 4-6 per set).

Does the 30-45 minute MAX-OT workout include those warmups or not? It seems like I can only get one muscle group exercised in 30 minutes if I do 3-4 warmup sets on top of the 2-3 heavy sets (with 2-minute breaks in between each).

Am I missing something?

For example, let's say I am doing a leg workout, consisting of squats, lunges, deadlifts, and calf raises: Do I do warmup sets for each exercise, then a group of MAX-OT sets, then warmups for the next exercise, then MAX-OT sets, then warmups for the next, etc.? Or, do I do all my warmups for each exercise, and start over with all my MAX-OT sets together?

As you can tell, I am quite confused, and want to go about this the right way. I am just starting out, and would hate to injure myself with heavy weights because I didn't warmup properly, or something. Plus, I just want to get the maximum gains out of each workout... that's what MAX-OT is all about anyway!

Thanks for any advice I can get...

2. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i do not count the warm up.. you are hardly working the muscle..

time starts when i hit the first heavy set

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

It's only necessary to do the warm up and acclimation sets once for each muscle group. So my chest workout might look something like this:

BARBELL BENCH PRESS
    -------------------
    12 x warm up weight
    10 x same weight
    6 x warm up, increased weight
    3 x acclimation set, increased weight
    1 x acclimation set, increased weight
    1 x max (this is not part of MAX-OT, but I like to see what my max bench is here)
    4-6 x heavy
    4-6 x heavy
    4-6 x heavy

INCLINE BARBELL BENCH PRESS
    ---------------------------
    4-6 x heavy
    4-6 x heavy
    4-6 x heavy

DIPS
    ----
    4-6 x heavy weighted dips

Then when I do my delts I do a complete warmup for those, and so on...

Your workouts should be short and intense. If you are working just one muscle group per workout, 30 minutes max, including warm-ups. I do up to 3 muscle groups in one workout, and those workouts take no more than one hour, including all my warm-up sets.

Brief and intense is the key, then get right to your post-workout nutrition.

4. Somanatin

Somanatin Well-Known Member

Thank you very much John... that's exactly what I was looking for :tucool: .

Actually, that's pretty much how I have been training, so I'm glad that I am on the right track.