1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

(Yet Another) Causticmuse Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by causticmuse, Apr 14, 2005.

1. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm posting my yammerings about food and fitness in so many different places sometimes--my blog, the MSN BFL Women forum, Muscletank.net...and now here because I am going to link this sucker to my Muscletank account to test the autolink feature.

:p

Welcome to my journal thread...feel free to ignore it if you already read my blog, because it will be the same material minus the non-fitness related stuff.

:tu:

2. causticmuse

Thoughts: Sometimes I wonder if there is some divine master plan pushing me toward the path of increased muscle gain even when I *say* want to cut and get lean.

SGX was supposed to lean me out, but through my own Kashi and fruit raids in the first few weeks and the special selection of exercises given to me by Swolecat, it turned into the most successful month of bulking I've ever had. My arms --deltoids and tris--just started to pop out visibly more and more each week. Not quite what I was expecting, but not a bad thing either.

Now that I've declared my intention of continuing my cut by going 50/30/20 and doing 90 days of P90X, a home fitness program that requires a pull-up bar and exercise bands/dumbbells, Fate is once again putting a big fat monkey wrench in the works. The pull-up bar I ordered arrived today, but when I checked it was the wrong item! The one I ordered has many more grips and features than the no-frills model I received, so clearly it will have to go back. No P90X Monday start now.

The one I was supposed to get:
    [​IMG]

The one I actually received:
    [​IMG]

(More about the pull-up bar fiasco here)

So my options are to continue with the SGX workouts while eating on the new plan, revert back to classic BFL for a few weeks for fun, or take this opportunity to put on even more muscle with a high volume, high frequency three on/one off weight training schedule with limited cardio.

What to do?

I think I've adapted to the SGX workouts already, and BFL gave me only minimal muscle gains. On the other hand, my body is definitely in anabolic muscle building mode at the moment thanks to SGX. And I have always wanted to try the 3/1 routine given to me by the resident trainer at eDiets...

So... Raphael Calzadilla's bulking split it will be!

Bring on the creatine and muscle failure. :) This is going to be fun!

========
    Nutrition: 1600 calorie low zig zag day

1: Mint chocolate peanut butter banana shake
    2: 3 slices Roman meal Carb Aware bread, 1 T. Smart Balance Lite spread, 2 T. sugar free preserves
    3: 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese, 1 large navel orange
    4: 2″x3″ turkey sandwich with 1/2 c. fresh fruit and 1 c. raw veggies from platter (dry)
    5: 2″x3″ roast beef sandwich with 1/2 c. fresh fruit and 1 c. raw veggies from platter (dry)
    6: 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese, 1 large navel orange

Daily Supplements: multivitamin with iron, calcium 500 + D
    Water for yesterday: 14 cups

========
    Workout:
    10:00 PM SGX Lower body workout or NYC Ballet workout video (skipped it yesterday)

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Didn’t do half-planned workout yesterday. Stayed in and worked on 401(K) update instead.

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Went grocery shopping during lunch.
    2. Removed the Kashi cereal from my cart before I got to the check out and prevented a guaranteed cereal binge tonight.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Finish laundry.
    2. Plan out alternative workouts since P90X might be out for now.

3. chaosjester

chaosjester Well-Known Member

Hi causticmuse, been browsing this site for few weeks now and although u may have heard it a thousand times :) , u have really done a superb job in your transformation. i am in a cutting phase as well and to get to where you are trully require tons of discipline and determination. congratulations mate and keep up the great job you are doing so far :tu: , although a lot of females i know would do anything to be where you currently are right now ;) .

4. causticmuse

Thoughts: I’ve been loafing for half this week, taking a few days of rest before I start training again next week. I’ve also been bumping up my carb intake, too, leading up to the 50/30/20 macro I will be using starting Monday.

What this has led to is an extraordinary amount of extra energy. It’s been very hard to just rest when I suddenly have more premium exercise fuel in me than I’ve had in nearly two months.

Last night, just for fun, I popped in the P90X Ab Ripper X workout while lying in bed downloading bank statements, and inadvertently did the full 20 minutes gut-burning exercises.

Whoops.

(Great ab workout, though! Just like Uncle Sam used to do!)

And this morning, well…

20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill at my old speeds. No noticeable degradation in performance.

Lord, I love carbs!

========
    Nutrition: 1600-1700 calorie low zig zag day
    1: 3x1 omelette, 1 c. spinach, 2 T. salsa, 1 large navel orange, 1/3 banana
    2: 4 oz. stewed chicken breast, 2 c. sauteed spinach and green peppers, 1/4 c. unsalted peanuts
    4: 3 slices Roman meal Carb Aware bread, 1 T. Smart Balance Lite spread, 3 T. sugar free preserves
    5: 4 oz. sauteed tilapia filet, 1 c. brown rice, 1 c. sauteed broccoli

Water for yesterday: 15 cups

========
    Workout:
    8:40 am HIIT treadmill run
    Warm-up - 4.0 mph / 2 minutes
    Intervals - 5, 6, 7, and 8 mph / 4 sets (each set = 1 minute at each speed)
    Max - 9 mph / 1 minute
    Cooldown - 4.5 mph / 1 minute

Optional: NYC Ballet Workout or Yoga X

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Worked through meal 4 last night. :( Packed in meals 4-6 in a space of 4 hours to make up for it.
    2. Ate two small slices of swiss cheese with deli sandwiches at dinner. Got struck down with lactose intolerance. Stupid cheese. It didn't even taste good. I'm going back to my old habit of picking off all nasty curdled milk products off my good food.

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Stayed on target for calories yesterday.
    2. Got rid of 5 piles of magazines and an icky jug of EAS Myopro banana whey through Freecycle.org
    3. Donated Foreman Grill to co-worker who will actually use it.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Finish laundry.
    2. Plan out alternative workouts since P90X might be out for now.
    3. Go to sport store and check out Powerblock weight set, pull-up bars, and resistance bands.
    4. Go to Costco and get photo put on membership card and schedule eye exam for new glasses.

5. causticmuse

OMG...I was just browsing the nutrition forum at the support forums for the makers of the P90X system, and look what this woman wrote:

and then....

WTF?

She wants to weigh 105 lbs at 5'6"? That is 5 pounds less than the less lean mass than I currently have at 133 lbs (LBM 110 lbs). The typical woman can be so incredibly clueless when it comes to true fitness.

AND she spelled "lose" wrong, too. Why is it so very hard for people to remember the difference between "lose" and "loose?" Message boards are a minefield of aggravations to former county spelling bee champions like yours truly.

6. causticmuse

Thoughts: This is pretty funny, but I discovered this morning that I've been recycled.

A few months ago, eDiets featured my BFL experience as one of their success stories with the Bill Phillip's Eating for Life plan on their site. I was in their email newsletter with a subject line that looked like "How I lost 26 pounds!" or something like that.

So much for my 5 seconds of fame, eh?

:)

Imagine my surprise this morning when I opened up another eDiets email, "Secrets of a Lean, Toned Body," and saw my pictures once again! This time they were attached to an interview with Body-for-Life and Eating for Life author Bill Phillips.

It looks like my pictures are getting more mileage than expected. Maybe there is a shortage of eDiets EFL success stories.

========
    Nutrition: 2000 calorie high zig zag day/free day

1: 3x1 omelette, 1 c. spinach, 2 T. salsa, 1 large navel orange
    2: Free meal
    4: 3 slices Roman meal Carb Aware bread, 1 T. Smart Balance Lite spread, 3 T. sugar free preserves
    5: 4 oz. sauteed tilapia filet, 1 c. brown rice, 1 c. sauteed broccoli

Water for yesterday: 13 cups

========
    Workout:
    NYC Ballet Workout tape

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Had 3 pieces of assorted bite size chocolates.
    2. 1/2 fudge brownie
    3. 4 Chik Fil A nuggets with BBQ sauce

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Got 8 hours of sleep.
    2. Picked up a resistance band at the store.
    3. Finished updating all financial records.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Finish laundry.
    2. Plan new menus and workouts for next week.
    3. Go to Target for medium Spri band.
    4. Call up Beachbody again to get an update on my pull-up bar issue.

7. causticmuse

Thoughts: I came across the NOVA/PBS special "Dying To Be Thin" from the year 2000 today while researching the pressure on men and women to conform to a particular physical standard, and whether women perceived the pressure to be greater on their gender.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend viewing the program at the site. The entire program is available in streamed Quicktime or Realplayer format for free.

The most frightening thing I saw on the program was a comparison of bone density in three different women, one normal, one who had not had a period in 5 years, and one who had not menstruated in 15 years. Primary causes for the loss of bone mass are calcium deficiency and amenorrhea. Amenorrhea, or the loss of the normal menstrual cycle, is common in females with either low body fat or unusually high activity levels such as dancers and athletes. The combination can result in the following:

Bone density scan of a normal 25-year-old woman:
    [​IMG]

25-year-old woman who has not had a period in five years:
    [​IMG]

Woman in her 30s who has not had a period in fifteen years:
    [​IMG]

The woman in her 30s essentially has the bone density of a 70-year-old woman.

If this isn't a wake up call to every woman out there who thinks that not having a regular cycle is a good thing, I don't know what else can be said. As for me, I'm going to keep on lifting weights, taking my calcium supplement, keeping yogurt and cottage cheese in my diet, and making sure I get the right amount of healthy fat every day to keep my bone density high and my cycle normal. I've lost my cycle for 6 consecutive months in the past (during my first 6 months in the Army) and for one month last fall when I was probably eating too little and doing too much cardio for a 4-6 week stretch. At this point I don't know if it's related to low body fat or the sudden spike in exercise duration and frequency, but I'm going to keep a much closer eye on things during this summer cut.

There's no way I EVER want my bonescans to look like that Invisible Woman in picture #3.

========
    1: 3x1 omelette, 1/2 large navel orange, 1/2 banana
    2: 1 French Cruller, 4 Munchkins :oops: (Free meal, obviously)
    3: Healthy lunch option at work or 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese and 1 banana
    4: 4 oz stewed chicken breast, 2 c. sauteed spinach, 15 peanuts
    5: 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese, 1 large navel orange
    6: 4 oz. sauteed tilapia filet, 1 c. brown rice, 1 c. sauteed broccoli

Water for yesterday: 15 cups

========
    Workout:
    NYC Ballet Workout, Core Synergistics or Yoga X

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Had a Frosty with my free meal but didn't take a Lactaid. Was sure that abdomen would pop within 2 hours. Luckily, grossly-distended belly was back to normal upon waking this morning. Whew.

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Didn't go nuts at the sushi bar.
    2. Totally rocked Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and Madonna's "Get Into The Groove" last night at Kimonos.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Erm...START laundry. Out of sports bras and socks. Cannot go on this way.
    2. Run the dishwasher as I am out of normal dishwashing detergent.
    3. Buy more regular dishwashing detergent ASAP as running dishwasher is kind of wasteful as a singleton.
    4. Cut itchy, useless tags out of all shirts.
    5. Prepare meals for the week.
    6. Buy some more oranges and bananas.
    7. Get a medium resistance band.

8. causticmuse

Muscletank.net Email Post Test

Erm...ignore this post. I'm just testing the email posting function at Muscletank. If things are working properly, this message will post to my journal thread at JSF and to my Caustic Musings blog simultaneously.

9. causticmuse

Here's another test post to check the email posting function!

10. causticmuse

Thoughts: This summer challenge isn't really going to be a challenge. I'm not setting any specific goals in regards to weight loss or body fat percentages. I'm not going to be a macronutrient Nazi demanding a perfect 50/30/20 every day. Some days I might wind up a bit off, but as long as I'm in the right ball park, it's all good.

I'm still going to track overall calories and aim for my 50/30/20 of course. And I'll be working out as hard as usual, too.

I'm just not going for any kind of miraculous transformation, because, let's face it, I'm not fluffy enough nowadays to see those kinds of dramatic changes. I almost WISH I had 20 lbs of flabbage to lose; it's a lot more fun to cut when you can shoot for 5 lb increments of loss.

On the other hand, there is nothing at all wrong with being in shape already. I can confidently jump on a treadmill and know I can haul ass for 20-30 minutes of HIIT at decent speeds. When I lift weights at the gym, most of my upper body exercises are done with 20-35 lb dumbbells instead of the 5-15 lbs that I see most of the other women tote. I'm usually the only woman in the squat rack. Between sets I can drop and knock out 20 push-ups without any signs of strain. I carry 50 lbs of groceries up to my third floor apartment and don't feel winded. My butt fits into size 4/6 pants, and my arms never jiggle. Obviously, these are all good things.

Given my current work schedule and the upcoming art show, I'll be happy just to maintain. If I lose a pound or two, great. I'm certainly not going to gain eating 1600-2000 calories a day and working out six days a week, so I'm willing to relax my vigilance a bit and just let things take their natural course. I know I wrote about this before, but I think after a while, all of the things that seemed so difficult when you first start a workout and healthy nutrition plan eventually just become normal and everyday. There's no real need for the artificial deadline of a challenge when you hit this point.

The challenge format actually irritates me now. It makes the whole meal planning and workout scheduling thing seem like a time-limited, temporary chore instead of the everyday pleasure it should be:

"This is so tedious, but at least I only have to do this for 12 weeks."
    "Only 6 weeks left of this drudgery."

If these changes are for LIFE and no external motivators like a wedding, reunion, contest, or show are at stake, why are we setting 3 month deadlines for everything?

Personally, I'm over it. Unless I'm testing out a particular system like BFFM, BFL, SGX, etc. again and NEED to monitor progress in relation to time, I'm not going to bother tracking "challenge" weeks and days anymore. I'm just going to do what's become second nature to me now: eat 6 healthy meals a day within a range of 40-50 c/ 30-40 p / 20 f and 1400-2000 calories, put in six maximum effort workouts a week, and then get on with the business of living.

========
    1: Caramel apple Luna bar, 1 slice Roman Meal WW bread
    2: 3x1 omelette, 3/4 oz mixed nuts, 1/3 c. baked beans
    4: 3 slices Roman Meal WW bread, 2 T. low sugar strawberry preserves
    5: 3 oz tuna, 1 c. spinach, 1 banana
    6: 4 oz. sauteed haddock filet, 1 c. brown rice, 1 c. sauteed broccoli

Water for yesterday: 13 cups

========
    Workout:
    10:30 pm Chest / Back /Abs at the gym or P90X Chest/Back and Ab Ripper X at home…decisions, decisions

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Still haven't decided if I'm going to do P90X without the pull-up bar for now, or my own weightlifting/cardio routine until the bar thing has been resolved.

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Got to CVS during lunch and picked up laundry and dish detergent (buy one get one free!), cleaning supplies, and plastic wrap.
    2. Used the $25 gift card I got for free when I transferred my prescription from Walgreens to pay for it.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Write up new workout schedule.
    2. Run the dishwasher as I am out of normal dishwashing detergent.
    3. Prepare meals for the week.
    4. Buy some more oranges and bananas.
    5. Fold laundry.
    6. Don't open Jade Empire and pop it into the Xbox until the above is completed.

#10 causticmuse, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  11. causticmuse

Thoughts: I slacked off last night instead of doing my chest/back workout after work. I tackled the massive heap of clean laundry that had taken over half of my bed instead, and helped Joe Pekar migrate his blog, gallery, and email over to [url="http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?miling]Dreamhost[/url] when his art was noticed by a Hungarian fan site and his bandwidth requirements suddenly spiked above his 15 GB quota. After that, I got my workout schedule done in Excel and fell asleep around 1 am.

As a consequence, I woke up feeling extremely dull and low in energy, which made sleeping in seem like a very good idea indeed. This in turn pushed my workout to lunch at noon, at which point I finally made it to a location with heavy things to push and pull for 45 minutes.

I feel much better now, especially after slamming down my PWO dextrose, whey, and Creastack shake. It might be all in my head, but I can feel the nutrients soaking into my muscle fibers.

I expect to put on two or three pounds this week at a minimum from the reintroduction of creatine, but I don't care. I'm in the mood to pack on more muscle, and as long as I don't look like a stuffed sausage in my clothes or a jiggly mound of human jello in my swimsuits, the scale can say whatever it likes for the next few weeks. Looking at my planned workouts, there is going to be a LOT of PWO dextrose and creatine in my life in the near future.

New workout schedule: 3 days on, 1 day off, relatively high volume. Cardio is going to be limited to one day a week and will NOT be HIIT. I'll be doing a 45 minute moderate steady-state session in SGX style or one of the P90X cardio workouts. If I have the time and inclination, I will toss in some yoga or the NYC ballet tape in the evenings, but that will not be my focus. I'll be using this routine for just 4 weeks. After that I will hopefully have my Jungle Jam bar and the rest of my resistance bands and can start up P90X. If not, I'm going to do a few weeks of BFL classic or a mix of P90X Kenpo, Cardio, and Plyo with my own lifting split just for fun. That should be a nice break. ;)

This week's split:
    M: Chest/Back/Abs
    T: Quads/Hams/Calves
    W: Shoulders/Triceps/Biceps
    Th: Off/Cardio
    F: Chest/Back/Abs
    Sa: Quads/Hams/Calves
    Su: Shoulders/Triceps/Biceps

I'm sticking with my original plan to zigzag between 1600 and 2000 during the week, but may raise them closer to 1800-2100 if I feel that I need more fuel for my workouts.

========
    1: Whey shake with 1 oz. mixed nuts
    2: 1/4 c. dextrose, 1 scoop whey, 1 t. GNC Creastack
    3: 3x1 omelette, 1/2 c. oatmeal, 1 c. spinach
    4: 1.5 c. plain FF yogurt, 1/4 scoop strawberry whey, 1/2 banana
    5: 3 oz tuna, 1 c. spinach, 1 navel orange
    6: Chocolate banana shake w/1 T. flaxseed oil

Water for yesterday: 10 cups

========
    Workout:
    12:00 PM Chest / Back/ Abs Workout at Fitness Center

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Caved in and had KFC with the rest of the company last night. Bleah. Yuck. No more company dinners, methinks.
    2. Stayed in and made workout plan instead of working out, LOL. :roll:

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Came up with my interim workout plan.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Put away sorted/folded laundry.
    2. Print out new 50/30/20 recipes.
    3. Go to the bank.
    4. Pick up more fruit at the grocery store.
    5. Saute' broccoli.
    6. Wash and chop up salad greens.
    7. Grill some chicken and fish.
    8. Work on paper doll project.

12. causticmuse

Chest/Back/Abs (Start: 12:05 pm / End: 12:43 pm)
    (Cable and Lever Machines at the fitness center at my apartment complex)

Warm-up - Treadmill walk at 4.5 mph / 0% incline / 5 minutes

3 sets x 6 reps w/6 plates - Seated Chest Press
    3 sets x 6 reps w/6 plates - Flyes
    3 sets x 6 reps w/6 plates - Incline Chest Press

3 sets x 8 reps w/7 plates - Seated Row
    3 sets x 10 reps w/6 plates - Cable Front Pulldown
    3 sets x 10 reps w/9 plates - Straight Arm Cable Pulldown

3 sets x 20 reps - Vertical Leg Hip Raise
    3 sets x 20 reps - Twisting Crunch
    3 sets x 20 reps - Stability Ball Crunch

6 sets x 25 reps - Jumping Jacks

13. causticmuse

I've been using free weights for so many months that I'd forgotten what it was like to do exercises like the chest press on a lever machine. It certainly works different muscle groups, because this morning I am already feeling the soreness set in from yesterday's back, chest, and ab workout. I'm glad I started hooking up the Creastack yesterday, because I have a feeling I'll be needing the glutamine these next few weeks.

I previewed a bit of the P90X leg and back workout DVD last night after work and decided that it was doable without a pull-up bar if I hooked up my heavy resistance band to the door and faked the pull-ups with some pull downs with my butt planted on the carpet. So this morning I did my first official P90X leg and back workout. I wasn't looking to really work my back too hard this morning after yesterday's heavy sets and high volume, so the wimpy resistance band action was fine. I actually bailed on the last two back sets so I could start up my omelette and do the dishes.

The tabby twins weren't too happy about the closed door between the bedroom and living room and kept yowling at each other through the wood and tearing up cheap beige carpet, so I had to take down the band and crack open the door after each back set.

The leg workout was actually pretty decent considering that most of it was body weight driven. There were a lot of creative lunges and squats, isometric holds, plenty of slow, controlled movements, and a few plyometric style exercises. I had a mirror up in the living room so I could check my positioning, and I could clearly see my leg muscles engaging in almost all of the lower body exercises. I'm going to revise my schedule to alternate between the dvd and a regular leg day at the gym just for the sake of variety.

One-legged wall squats absolutely suck, by the way.

Reading over my posts over the past few weeks of work crunch, I've come to realize that while my workouts and meals are scheduled and planned down to the last minute, the other things I need to do are just haphazardly done when I feel like it without any sort of order or organization. This is not good, because when I don't have things planned, I tend to revert to my natural lazy state and just sit around playing with the cats, zoning out with video games, or following random threads on the Internet instead of cleaning the bathroom, organizing my sewing/drafting table, and working on new illustrations.

Recognizing your own weakness is the first step in fixing the problem. So I admitted I needed to schedule my other weekly tasks and goals just like my meals and workouts, fired up Palm Desktop, and came up with a schedule that should take me through the Oasis show in May with minimal wasted time. Wake up, meals, workouts, grocery shopping, bill paying, drawing time, cooking time, laundry time, social time, etc–it ALL has a slot on my schedule now, oh yes.

I know a lot of people hate living on a regimented schedule like this, but I've found that I'm just more efficient at doing things when they have their own little pockets of time.

Just call me Clockwork Maggie.

========
    Nutrition: 1800-2000 calorie high zig zag day

1: 1/4 c. dextrose, 1 scoop whey, 1 t. GNC Creastack
    2: 3x1 omelette, 1/2 c. oatmeal, 1 c. spinach
    3: 3 oz chicken breast/2 c. veggie stir fry with 6 oz. sweet potato
    4: Peanut butter banana shake w/ 1 T. flaxseed oil
    5: Thai chicken salad with orange
    6: 3/4 c. fat free cottage cheese and 1 banana

Water for yesterday: 17 cups

========
    Workout:
    7:00 AM P90X Legs and Back workout

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Ate clean yesterday.
    2. Made a very detailed schedule / timesheet for workouts, meals, drawing time, and other important weekly tasks so I can get my $#!+ done without falling behind.

========
    Brownie Points:
    2. Did the dishes.
    3. Switched off Jade Empire before midnight.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Defrost chicken.
    3. Go to the bank.
    4. Pick up more fruit and eggs at the grocery store.
    5. Saute' broccoli.
    9. Take picture of self in pink shirt from Joe's shop for him to use in promo.

14. causticmuse

15. causticmuse

Another test post :)

===========
    Nutrition: 1800-2000 calorie high zig zag day

1: 1/4 c. dextrose, 1 scoop whey, 1 t. GNC Creastack
    2: 3x1 omelette, 1/2 c. oatmeal, 1 c. spinach
    3: 3 oz chicken breast/2 c. veggie stir fry with 6 oz. sweet potato
    4: Peanut butter banana shake w/ 1 T. flaxseed oil
    5: Thai chicken salad with orange
    6: 3/4 c. fat free cottage cheese and 1 banana

Water for yesterday: 17 cups

===========
    Workout:
    7:00 AM P90X Legs and Back workout
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Ate clean yesterday.
    2. Made a very detailed schedule / timesheet for workouts, meals, drawing time, and other important weekly tasks so I can get my $#!+ done without falling behind.

===========
    Brownie Points:
    2. Did the dishes.
    3. Switched off Jade Empire before midnight.
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Defrost chicken.
    3. Go to the bank.
    4. Pick up more fruit and eggs at the grocery store.
    5. Saute' broccoli.
    9. Take picture of self in pink shirt from Joe's shop for him to use in promo.

16. causticmuse

This morning I woke up sore just about everywhere except my quads and abs. The soreness from the Ab Ripper X video faded about two days ago, and it takes some major weight and reps to make my mega-quads break down, so that wasn't too surprising. It is, however, day two after my chest and back workout, so yesterday's DOMS is still going strong, and now I've discovered that while the P90X Legs and Back workout is not so hot on quads, but it absolutely blows out your bum, hams, and calves. Standing up and sitting down is going to be a chore for a few days. :P

This is a good thing really. I think my quads have outstripped my other leg muscles in development due to my love of squats, my focus on running as my primary form of cardio, and the fact that I sit on a stability ball at work for 10-12 hours a day. I don't think there is a single day during the week that my quads aren't getting some form of passive workout because of my choice of chair.

With the pull-up bar problem resolved and three additional resistances tubes arriving tomorrow from Amazon, I might just start full-blown P90X next Monday. I tried to do a pull-up today at Gold's and couldn't even manage ONE lousy one. Not even ONE!

Okay, so I didn't try until I'd already blown out my arms and shoulders with 9 sets of shoulder exercises, 9 sets of biceps, and 5 sets of triceps at maximum effort, but still...How humbling.

Clearly I need to get to work on pull-ups ASAP.

I'm going to hook up the Door Gym tonight since I get to keep it now, and try again when I'm rested. I refuse to be defeated by a stupid bodyweight exercise.

I'll post another round of progress pics, measurements, and the P90X fit test results on Saturday or Sunday.

========

1: Proatmeal PWO combo--1/2 c. (dry) oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 t. honey and 3/4 scoop Myopro whey with 1 t. GNC Creastack
    2: 3 oz. chicken breast, 1 c. steamed zucchini/squash, 6 oz. sweet potato
    3: Peanut butter banana shake
    4: 3x1 omelette, 2 c. spinach, 1 banana
    5: Thai chicken salad with apple
    6: 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese and large navel orange

Water for yesterday: 16 cups

========
    Workout:
    8:00 AM Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps at the gym
    3:00 PM 1 mile walk (4 mph / 15 minutes)

Optional: Ab Ripper X DVD

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. Stayed at target calories, but didn't eat very clean for meal 6--Chinese take out at work (mmm...rice) and about 4 snack size candy bars.

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Got to the store and bought 7 dozen eggs, 16 lbs of naval oranges, 6 bananas, and a container of cottage cheese. The cashier was pretty astounded.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Reorganize living room as workout area.
    3. Go to the bank.
    4. Prep more meals 3 and 4.
    5. Work on paper doll project.
    6. Do thumbnails for 5-6 new prints.

17. causticmuse

Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps (Start: 8:00 am / End: 8:54 am)
    (Free weights and cables at Gold's Gym)

Warm-up - Treadmill walk/run at 4-6 mph / 0% incline / 5 minutes

2 drop sets x 10 reps each weight x 12.5 lb/10 lb - Dumbbell Side Laterals
    3 sets x 10 reps x 17.5 lb - Arnold Press
    2 sets x 10 reps x 10 lb - Front Raise (Raise weight next time)
    1 set x 10 reps x 17.5 lb

2 sets x 8 reps x 20 lb - Dumbbell Curl
    3 sets x 10 reps x 15 lb - Dumbbell Concentration Curl
    2 sets x 10 reps x 17.5 lb / 15 lb (~5 reps at 17.5, rest at 15) - Incline Dumbbell Curl

2 sets x 10 reps x 45 lb - Barbell Lying Tricep Extension
    3 sets x 10 reps x 60 lb assistance - Assisted Tricep Dip
    2 sets x 10 reps x 42.5 lb - Tricep Pushdown

18. causticmuse

The Muscletank.net/**************.net animated logo is of a portly male figure with a big belly shrinking down into a muscular looking little figure.

[​IMG]

So what would the female version look like?

Well, from personal experience, I can tell you that it won't be the stomach that deflates the most on a female figure, LOL.

Fitness and healthy eating--the natural path to breast reduction.

;)

19. causticmuse

I put together the Door Gym, slung it over my doorway this morning, and hopped up to see how many pull-ups I could do when fresh and well-rested.

Two and a half.

Well, better than nothing I guess. The P90X program should raise that number up significantly over the next three months.

I then popped in the Yoga X DVD and attempted to keep up with the insane, painful contortions of the bendy people on the TV screen for 35 minutes. This aspect of my personal fitness requires even more work than my pull-up ability if this morning's performance was indicative of my current level of flexibility. :oops:

Dietwise, I've also pretty much set a basic meal pattern for myself. You probably wouldn't think so from the huge list of recipes I've posted on my site, but I'm actually one of those boring people who can eat the same thing every single day and not go out of my mind from the monotony. Back in my non-fitness oriented days, I had 2 eggs and a bowl of raisin bran every day for breakfast, white rice and stir fry for lunch, and white rice and stir fry for dinner, and I was perfectly content.

The key is that I have to LIKE what I'm having every day. If I do, I never get tired of it.

So here's my basic meal plan at 50/30/20.

• Meal 1 (8:00 AM) : Proatmeal PWO combo (1/2 c. (dry) oatmeal, 1/2 serving fruit, 1/2 t. honey and 3/4 scoop Myopro whey) OR PWO shake (1/4 c. dextrose with 1 scoop Myopro whey and 1 t. GNC Creastack)
    • Meal 2 (10:30 AM): 3 egg white x 1 whole egg omelette, 1 c. spinach, 4 oz. sweet potato (baked into chips), 1/2 serving fruit
    • Meal 3 (12:30 PM): 3 oz. lean chicken or beef (or 4 oz. fish), 1 c. steamed or sauteed veggies, 1/2 c. rice, and 1/2 serving fruit
    • Meal 4 (3:00 PM): Peanut butter banana yogurt shake
    • Meal 5 (5:30 PM): Thai chicken salad w/1.75 oz. (dry) WW spaghetti or 1 serving fruit
    • Meal 6 (8:00 PM): 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese and 1 serving fruit

My menus will look a LOT like the above with only a few variations as determined by whatever fruits and veggies are cheapest that week.

========

1: Proatmeal PWO combo–1/2 c. (dry) oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 t. honey and 3/4 scoop Myopro whey
    3: 1.5 c. plain FF yogurt, 1/4 scoop strawberry whey, 1/2 banana
    4: 3x1 omelette, 2 c. spinach, 1 large navel orange
    5: Thai chicken pasta salad

========
    Workout:
    7:45 AM Yoga X DVD (35 minutes)
    8:00 PM Other half of Yoga X DVD (45 minutes)

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. 1 Hershey miniature bar
    2. 1 T. unsalted peanuts

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Reorganized living room as workout area.
    2. Did a lot of cooking and salad making. :)
    3. Followed schedule almost perfectly yesterday.
    4. Did not have ANY of the take out chicken wings ordered for dinner at work last night.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Print out new 50/30/20 recipes.
    2. Go to the bank.
    3. Work on paper doll project.
    4. Do thumbnails for 5-6 new prints.
    5. Clean the bathroom and kitchen.
    6. Vacuum.
    7. Clean ceiling fan blades. How does cat hair get UP there? :roll:
    8. Submit paperwork for dental reimbursement from FSA.

20. causticmuse

I put together the Door Gym, slung it over my doorway this morning, and hopped up to see how many pull-ups I could do when fresh and well-rested.

Two and a half.

Well, better than nothing I guess. The P90X program should raise that number up significantly over the next three months.

I then popped in the Yoga X DVD and attempted to keep up with the insane, painful contortions of the bendy people on the TV screen for 35 minutes. This aspect of my personal fitness requires even more work than my pull-up ability if this morning's performance was indicative of my current level of flexibility. :oops:

Dietwise, I've also pretty much set a basic meal pattern for myself. You probably wouldn't think so from the huge list of recipes I've posted on my site, but I'm actually one of those boring people who can eat the same thing every single day and not go out of my mind from the monotony. Back in my non-fitness oriented days, I had 2 eggs and a bowl of raisin bran every day for breakfast, white rice and stir fry for lunch, and white rice and stir fry for dinner, and I was perfectly content.

The key is that I have to LIKE what I'm having every day. If I do, I never get tired of it.

So here's my basic meal plan at 50/30/20.

• Meal 1 (8:00 AM) : Proatmeal PWO combo (1/2 c. (dry) oatmeal, 1/2 serving fruit, 1/2 t. honey and 3/4 scoop Myopro whey) OR PWO shake (1/4 c. dextrose with 1 scoop Myopro whey and 1 t. GNC Creastack)
    • Meal 2 (10:30 AM): 3 egg white x 1 whole egg omelette, 1 c. spinach, 4 oz. sweet potato (baked into chips), 1/2 serving fruit
    • Meal 3 (12:30 PM): 3 oz. lean chicken or beef (or 4 oz. fish), 1 c. steamed or sauteed veggies, 1/2 c. rice, and 1/2 serving fruit
    • Meal 4 (3:00 PM): Peanut butter banana yogurt shake
    • Meal 5 (5:30 PM): Thai chicken salad w/1.75 oz. (dry) WW spaghetti or 1 serving fruit
    • Meal 6 (8:00 PM): 3/4 c. FF cottage cheese and 1 serving fruit

My menus will look a LOT like the above with only a few variations as determined by whatever fruits and veggies are cheapest that week.

========

1: Proatmeal PWO combo–1/2 c. (dry) oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 t. honey and 3/4 scoop Myopro whey
    3: 1.5 c. plain FF yogurt, 1/4 scoop strawberry whey, 1/2 banana
    4: 3x1 omelette, 2 c. spinach, 1 large navel orange
    5: Thai chicken pasta salad

========
    Workout:
    7:45 AM Yoga X DVD (35 minutes)
    8:00 PM Other half of Yoga X DVD (45 minutes)

========
    The Awful Truth:
    1. 1 Hershey miniature bar
    2. 1 T. unsalted peanuts

========
    Brownie Points:
    1. Reorganized living room as workout area.
    2. Did a lot of cooking and salad making. :)
    3. Followed schedule almost perfectly yesterday.
    4. Did not have ANY of the take out chicken wings ordered for dinner at work last night.

========
    Short-term Goals:
    1. Print out new 50/30/20 recipes.
    2. Go to the bank.
    3. Work on paper doll project.
    4. Do thumbnails for 5-6 new prints.
    5. Clean the bathroom and kitchen.
    6. Vacuum.
    7. Clean ceiling fan blades. How does cat hair get UP there? :roll:
    8. Submit paperwork for dental reimbursement from FSA.