1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Xm Satellite, Sirius... I am confused...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Justitia, May 4, 2006.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I need to get a new mini-system for my bedroom. I looked last year and found a system I reported on this thread...http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=21114

But I did not buy it.

I am looking again because my system continues to deteriorate ...

Searched again... nothing seems to be an improvement on what I found last June...

But now I am seeing Sony advertising a system for XM radio...

I understand that Sony has been issuing stuff that is security protected from being copied that is messing up computers...

What is this XM satellite radio... and is it different than Sirius? They both advertise something like 150 channels... there must be some overlap.

And should I consider Sony's system... I think I really like the Yamaha in the thread linked above... though I still have not learned how to use MP3 despite having gotten an iRiver last summer... just no time...

Anyone to advise?

2. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

XM and Sirius each have their own channels and are roughly the same cost (if not exactly). The channels are somewhat different in style/theme/etc - I'd go to each of the websites and see which one suits you better. I have XM, but I'm not picky and would have been fine on Sirius - XM had the radio I wanted at the time for a good price so that's what I have. If you must have Howard Stern (I could care less), you go to Sirius. Oprah and Bob Dylan have shows on XM.

3. jeremya

jeremya Well-Known Member

I am with featherz on this one. They are pretty much the same. I went with XM because, at the time atleast, they had better radios and they were offering a 2 for 1 deal on radios so I go two and split the cost with a co-worker.

The main programming differences are which sports they have rights to and what personalities they have signed.

I really enjoy satellite radio. Regular radio frustrates me now. Too many comercials. I guess between Tivo and XM I have lost my patience for being pandered to. :D

-- Jeremy

4. Breadman

Breadman Well-Known Member

I have Sirius and I love it!!! It's so much better than regular radio.
    And yes I do listen to Howard Stern. I had it be for he came on Sirius.
    All the music channels are great. I've never listened to XM, but
    I think I'd get Siruis just because the stock seems to be falling on XM.

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, I have to admit I would prefer Bob Dylan to Howard Stern. But the comment that XM's stock is falling is a persuasive factor as well.I find the marketplace generally though not always a good predictor.

Sports I don't care about.

Jazz is my first love, Blues my second. With one exception, I only listen to Public Radio... and the exception ( a rock station -- WRNR- keeps commercials to a minimum and not the obnoxious ones. But the reception is piss-poor and their internet streaming band width is too small to keep up with the demand,,, ( They are a good rock station.)

So whichever I decide to go with... should it effect what mini-system I buy... I guess I am still liking the Yamaha E600SL the best... though now I wish I bought it a year ago so I could have been enjoying it all this time.. But as it does not have a CD changer, I am going to have to rip my music to MP3 format and burn that on a CD (I think...) That's why I did not get it before. Didn't have the time or energy to learn the new technology...

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

XM and Sirius are the same idea. Similar channel lineups. But XM has an exclusive on Major League Baseball and "Opie and Anthony" and Sirius has an exclusive on National Football League and "Howard Stern". So if any of those is a dealmaker/dealbreaker, there's your choice.

The XM portables are miles ahead of the Sirius portables. The Sirius ones only work when they are not portable - and you record content that you can later listen to portably. The XM portables can do that, but they also can receive on the go.

The home systems and car systems are about the same between XM and Sirius though, so if you are looking for car or home, make your choice based on programming.

I have XM for the baseball and portability.

7. gborn

gborn Well-Known Member

Get Sirius. I have had it for two months now and love it. Admittingly, I am a Stern fan and you have to check out Bubba the Lovesponge. I have not listened to regular radio since!

8. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I work with both and trust me... they both are facing SIGNIFICANT money troubles and both face an issue that their satellites will need to be replaced much sooner than anticipated.

Don't be suprised if you see one buy the other then get bought by a third party inside of a few years. Buy what you like now and live for the moment because it will probably change sooner than you might think.

9. jeremya

jeremya Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this because I don't think the market can support two companies spending hand over fist to secure rights to content.

-- Jeremy

10. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

Don't do it on stock alone, my hubby owns SIRI stock and it's been in the toilet forever. XMSR was doing OK until recently when they started dumping also. I think one will buy the other eventually or something similar. Go with the one that has the content you want and the equipment you want - my XM radio was a great deal ($40 for the portable 'go anywhere' which included the car kit, home kit, etc) and I am sure there are deals out there on Sirius as well.

11. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I don't know if you care about this, but one of the major content differences is the sports games that each satellite provider carries. Each of them has deals with different pro leagues. e.g. I think Sirius carries NFL, but you can't get MLB, that's on XM.

Also, if you like Howard Stern...you might want Sirius for that..so just be sure to check out what they carry before you decide.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing the music options are similar. I don't know about the hardware either, some of it seems pretty cool though.