1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Worst you've ever benched/curled etc.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by :: kna ::, Mar 2, 2004.

1. :: kna ::

:: kna :: Well-Known Member

I just wondered how 'low' people have started before they moved up in their weight training programme. Bearing in mind I've never really done free weights before in my life, I had no idea how strong I wasn't.

The thing which is quite ironic is that I'm not a particularly slight person (and am overweight, as opposed to obese) but yet I'm finding that I can only bench around 35lbs on one set and curl less than 20. :flex: :o

I feel a little embarassed about it, but also admit that you have to start somewhere.. anyone else also suprised at how weak they were when they started out and how quickly have you come along?

(Of course if everyone goes 'no, you big weed' then I'll slink off :))

#1 :: kna ::, Mar 2, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Don't feel inferior by that. I was in a similar boat.

When I was young, like HS age, I played competitive soccer and golf, along with misc basketball, football, etc. I only formally competed in soccer and golf though.

Because of those sports, I never developed my upper body. I had great, strong legs, but not much else. The golf later helped to develop my back, delts and tris, but my chest and bis were SOOOOOOOO weak. I remember trying weight lifting in HS with friends and being so embarrassed by the fact that I had trouble curling 20# dumbells when my friends were curling 40+. I just gave up and never really gave lifting an honest effort until much later in life.

Here I am ten to twelve years later in life, married with two kids, and I started actually, truly working out last July. I had actually gained a little strength from lugging those kids around, but even when I started, the 20# curls were tough. Three sets and I was spent.

I've gained steadily since then, and am now bulking for the first time. The weights are going up and I expect them to continue at an quicker pace than before.

Long story short, you are doing fine. Just keep maxing yourself out and you'll be up to YOUR standards of acceptability in no time. Understanding your own humility and taking action in spite of it, is what will drive you to continued success. :tucool:

3. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I took a 6 year vacation from lifting and am starting over from scratch.

I do a flat dumbbell bench like this:
    12 reps @ 15lbs
    10 reps @ 20lbs
    8 reps @ 25lbs
    6 reps @ 30 lbs
    <until failure> @ 30lbs

It's the classic pyramid scheme (right?) and I feel awesome afterwards :flex: even though my arms are still puny :whistle:

I don't have biceps until Friday, but I'll probably try the same weight & rep setup. I'll probably fail too :)

4. NotNoV8

NotNoV8 Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad...when I first started about 7 months ago I could barley bench the bar, which weights 45#. And I quickly found out which was my weakest arm. And I could only dumbbell curl about 15#.

Right now my max bench now is 3 x 3 x @ 155#, my max dumbbell curl is 45#. Both arms are some what equal in strength now. I feel I made some decent progress, at first I was pretty frustraded because the gains came really slow, but after a month or two I could really see the weight increase, about 5# a week added to my bench.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

I'm similar to Matt. Growing up, my mode of transportation was my bike. There were many steep grade hills near my house, and some of my friends lived 10 miles away. I had very strong legs. I would do bench presses in spurts, because it was the 'manly' lift. I never focused on my arms, and they are weak.
    During the cutting phase, I very slowly have been able to add to my curl weight. I've been able to add to the tricep extensions at a quicker rate for some reason (possibly other exercises of a compound nature are helping).
    Matt, how recently did you start bulking? How much has entering the bulking stage affected your ability to increase the weight?

6. Malikai

Malikai Well-Known Member

seems most people that were cyclist in their teens have big legs and triceps (from pulling back on the handlebars) and no delts or biceps. At least that's what happen to me and all my buddies I used to ride with.

Though there seems to be one good thing; I bought a car, stopped riding my bike, became overweight and lost some of my muscle. however those same muscles I used to have seem to be building up really fast compared to my delts and bicep.

Anywho I'm sure the muscles will eventually even out or else I'm going to start looking mighty strange!

7. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

First time I ever lifted, my cousin took my to the Student Activities Center. Now, I am 6 inches taller than my cousin, so I couldn't let him show me up. He had been lifting for 5-6 years at least. He gets under the bar with 135, and knocks it out with no sweat. I tell him to leave the weight. I get under it, lift it off, start going down with it. I realized I was in trouble. I grunted out a "Help Andy!" So, I spent the next 2 months working up to complete an entire set with 98 lbs of 10 reps. On the last day of the quarter, we put 135 back on and I hit it no problem.
    Now, 14 years later, I hit 275 no problem for a couple reps. I no longer try to throw up any more weight than that. I never maxed out my bench in my younger years. My partner and I did 315+ for reps. My shoulders can no longer take the weight though. Oh well, my chest is big enough.

8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think I started DB pressing with 20# - my one rep max is 75# now. For the most part the only exercise I had gone through was freshman year swim-season, I was so bad I started out in the fifteen yard long diving well, not in the pool. :o

9. Sole

Sole Well-Known Member

Just remember...it's not how much you lift, but how well you lift and what you get from it.

I could curl 150lb. barbell if I did it with bad form...

10. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I'm a girl but..

when I started weight lifting it was hard for me to even curl the bar w/out weights! One guy interrupted my work out to let me know that the pin wasn't in..Yeah thanks buddy but I knew that. Now I can curl 60 pounds :)

11. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

My freshman year of HS I started football- I was barely able to max a bench of just 110 lbs. 3 years later I was bench pressing 300+ lbs, and no steroids involved. Football just kicked my butt.

12. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I am actually finishing up my first week right now. I was on the CKD for several weeks as a last ditch effor to get down to my final BF goal, but it didn't happen. I had been stalled out for approx. three months, so I needed to try something else. I'm on the first week of an eight week bulk, followed by a week off, then an eight week cut.

The CKD is a strange diet, because you want to completely deplete your muscles of glycogen. As a result, my final workouts of the week would be sad. I would drop at least five pounds off each dumbell from my normal lifts, if not more.

I phased out of Keto for a week (last week) and took a full week off of lifting and cardio. This week has been nice, because my lifts are back up to normal, or even a little higher than before. I'm feeling good.

The bad thing is that I need to hit the sports store to get some bigger hexex though. :db:

On a side note, the eating is the toughest part of bulking, I feel stuffed at all times.

13. Teg4e

Teg4e Well-Known Member

I didn't start lifting until college, and I was pretty embarrassed with my initial weights. My bench max was 95 lbs., which meant I was doing 8 rep sets with a 10 and a 5 lb. plate on each side. A lot of girls there were using more than that! For curls, 20 lb. dumbbell's were a good workout. The only way I could stand doing that low weight was having good friends to work out with who wouldn't bust my balls about it. Fortunately, now I can rep with 175 lbs. on bench (200+ lb. max) and 75 lbs. on curls, which isn't a lot, but atleast it's not embarrassing. My triceps have outpaced my other body parts and I can lift as much or more than most guys in the gym. For example, on skull crushers I used to struggle with only 45 lbs., but now I workout with 85 lbs. On the tricep pressdown machine I've also made great gains, starting with 6 plates, but now I rep with 10 plates. (not sure what weight that is)

Overall, it's a great feeling to be proud of my strength, which is something new to me.

14. Sheepish

Sheepish Well-Known Member

I started off benching about 10kg, and eventually worked my way up to an olympic bar (20kg) with no plates on.. that was only a year or so ago. Keep up the training, eat good, and max out every now and again to keep an eye on your progress.. if you're only just starting to lift (or starting again), then you'll make swift gains!

Don't forget how important visualisation is in this kinda thing, running through a lift in your mind, every stage of it, can really help develop a groove for it.

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank-you kna for starting this thread. I'm feeling sorta wimpy today, and it's just what I needed. :flex:

I'm sure when I was fifteen I once bench pressed a hundred pounds. And yep, I'm a girl. So that's my goal now, but I'll have to get over my fear of the gym first. :bb:

I've pretty much outgrown my 3.5 kg dumbbells (after about a month), but I'm not sure I'm ready for 5 kg yet. :o

On the other hand, all the rest of the ladies in my fitness class are still using their 2 kg dumbbells. Mine are strictly decoration. :D

16. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome Well-Known Member

I started benching about a year ago around 80 pounds because my machismo wouldn't let me lift a plain olympic bar in a gym full of testosterone. I eventually got a home gym and after about six months of diligence, got up to 170, with a single rep peak of 201. Unfortunately, I've just injured my wrist and so can't bench for several weeks. :(

But I really think a lot of it is mental. If I lift what is comfortable I'd be down around 120. If I lift assuming I'm going to use every ounce I have, I can do much better. My wife, who is 39, started lifting a while ago and is up to benching 99 pounds. Again, I think so much of it is being confident to get out of that comfort zone.

17. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

i do my bench reps now with a weight that's half my 1 rep max from when i was 16 lol, that can be depresing at times, especially as i'm only doing max of 6 reps.

18. Collegefour

Collegefour Well-Known Member

Just like NotNoV8, I also started with just an olympic bar, about 2 months ago. I am already up to 105, and plan to do 115 tomorrow. I also use 20 # dumbbells for curls, although I have tried up to 70 pounds on the olympic bar (did it, but bad form - also demonstrated left side weakness). Its not what you start at that counts, its the fact that you started at all!

19. dimbulb

dimbulb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thread!!

I just started 2 weeks ago, and I had to start with the basic olympic bar for the flat bench. Now that I'm starting to get used to lifting, I've added around 25lbs to my bench. I'm obviously not hoping to keep up this rate of increase!!

Working out at home definitely helps. Rather ego deflating to be lifting half of what the girls are lifting......

20. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

When i started training 7 months ago i benched pressed 48 pounds ( only the olympic bar without any weights) right now i bench 100 pounds, and my trainer tells me to lift 150 it will take me about 5 months more..... :claphigh: