1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup, Germany 2006

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by RamRom, Jun 8, 2006.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm a homer through and through, but that ain't happening. Viva Italia!

2. The Abdominal Snowman

The Abdominal Snowman Well-Known Member

Some Dutch commentators are speculating it would be a major stunt if Australia would win over Brazil by sheer tactics (their coach is a Dutchman who helped South Korea get further in the tournament than they ever did before). I normally don't see that happening but which so many bloated ego's on the field, it just might. Everyone wanted to see Brazil play, but once they did, everyone wants to see them fail and taught a lesson.
    Concerning the tournament as a whole: I think there are some teams with an okay offense, but the defense of most teams sucks. This means we'll probably see a lot of goals this tournament, but not great football.

#42 The Abdominal Snowman, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  3. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Bah, traitor.

4. Thrillhouse17

Thrillhouse17 Well-Known Member

I just watched the whole USA/Italy match, and let me say wow, the USA team amazed me. Italy is one of the best teams in the world, and the fact that USA managed to tie with a man down, and control the whole first half is huge. USA has never really been respected as a soccer team, but I think that people will start taking them a little more seriously now.

I hate soccer, and yet find myself really enjoying the match. Way to go USA!

5. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

It isn't a win, but I'll take it! I missed the match but I'll be watching it on ESPN Classic tonight.

I hate this game, but can't stop watching it as well Thrill.

6. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

After watching it, the only thing I can say is where in the hell did they get that ref???

Wow, I could have called a better game. :mad:

Other than that, great game.

7. RyanK

RyanK Active Member

One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. And easily the worst officiated this WC. He was inconsistent and was too quick to hand out cards.

Other than that, it was an amazing game by the USA. We controlled the entire game. Gooch completely took Toni, one of the best strikers in the world, completely out of the game. I can't wait till Thursday. :D

8. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Thursday 9:55 AM EST/6:55 PCT AM. Watch it, or move to Canada.

9. Thrillhouse17

Thrillhouse17 Well-Known Member

It is so funny to see both sides of the argument (about the bad refs in the USA/Italy game). Over here (Italy) they said that the ref was just and fair, except that he called offsides a little too much against Italy. Either way I'm fairly happy about the game, and the USA won in my mind. They dominated the first half, and managed to keep up momentum in the second with 1 man less. Here's hoping that they play well against Ghana.

10. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

Ahh, it was an excellent game by the Yanks - the effort was much improved and the passing was a joy at times. The US still looked dangerous even when down to 9 men.

I'll never understand why so many of my countrymen hate this game, and love expressing that too ( be it through stupid comments, articles, etc) - yet no other "minor" sport in the country gets the same level of ignorant drivel spouted at it. Is it fear of not understanding something that is just so massive on so many levels worldwide? A chip on the collective shoulder of the haters because no one else gives a damn about baseball, gridiron football? (basketball has a decent amount of adherents worldwide, yet pales in comparison to soccer)

Enjoy the world cup, learn a bit about the game, see what the rest of us are so crazy about :tucool: - once the World Cup is over, Major League Soccer is still going on through the fall, European leagues start back up in August through May, its a whole wide world of football to enjoy...

11. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

ok offtopic-ish question:

Which is more popular in the states? futball (the American kind :) ) or Baseball... i'm leaning towards baseball...

12. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Well people that know their sports, like myself, pick Baseball.

But I think Football takes the cake. I attend it to people thinking baseball is slow. When actually it is the sense of anticipation, that is what makes baseball great.

Sadly, some people don't pick that up. And turn to the grid iron.

That said, I watch both, but love baseball. I could watch it all day.

I think basketball is third. Which if I am not mistaken isn’t all that unpopular in Europe.

And we all hate tennis. Not a single person here plays it. A common misconception. Having 8 forms of the same game (Volley Ball, Tennis, Bad mitten etc.) confuses the hell out of the general populace. ;)

#52 Omaha, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  13. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

lol ok.

Yeah basketball isn't that popular (to watch) over here. I do enjoy it and rate it as one of my favs to play (i much rather play than watch sports) but having the hoops to play it is pretty non-existent where i live. With footy, you can just set up posts using a jacket on a field and your sorted if you have a football.

Surprised at Tennis. What with Roddick, i would have thought it be more popular. I don't like to play volleyball but i do love to watch it :D. Badminton is one of those "looks crap, but is surprisingly fun to play".

14. Reeze

Reeze Well-Known Member

Exactly. Football is cheap and you can play anywhere (if you don't mind breaking windows). All you need is a ball. You can practice your skills on your own, with just one person, or with a whole team. There is also plenty to do without even having a goal. But all you need for a goal anyway is a couple of markers.

My favourite game is tennis, but I can't play it like I'd like to because it costs too much to hire a court on a regular basis. Football is free to play all day.

I don't know of any other sport so cheap and versatile.

That's why it is so popular.

Plus the basic rules and scoring are so simple, it's really easy to get into.

Shame I can't play for toffee really.

15. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

I would probably like tennis, if it wasn't so damn frustrating. I can't hit the ball with any degree of force without it sailing into orbit.

So it boils down to bloopers so as to not achieve the ever popular double fault (not even sure if that is the right ‘fault’).

16. jeremya

jeremya Well-Known Member

I, personally, hate baseball. Of course I didn't realize until recently that they can actually control where you hit the ball to some degree (I am still not sure I believe that.) Hell I am lucky if I just hit the ball let alone make it go where I want.

Basketball was cool when I was younger. I watch the pros and they get away with so much with out a foul being called. Kinda kills the sport for me.

Football (american style) is one of my favorite sports to watch.

Soccer (Football to the rest of the world) my second favorite sport to watch.

GO TEAM USA!!!! Go ITALY!!!! (We need them to win :D )

-- Jeremy

17. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Assuming you’re a right handed hitter, reverse if you are a lefty.

Swing late, goes into right field.

Swing early, goes into left.

Swing on time, send it into the pocket behind second base.

Guaranteed RBI.

Very difficult, but it's done every day. I can swing it left or right, but other than that, not a thing.

18. lajban

lajban Well-Known Member

What a feeling it was in Berlin during Sweden-Paraguay, you can't describe it, party all the way.
    I don't regret for one second I went there :)

Sad to see the intressts over seas is not that big for soccer, but US played well against Italy and it was an great game.

Even partied with some Americans there :)

Thought I could attach an image also pre-game at a square - 9-10000 swedes there.

[​IMG]

/A

19. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

They played a good game with England. Edge of the seat type of game.

:tucool:

20. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Mexico game

Well Mexico is in. They play Saturday against Argentina. They had a lot of opportuinites and did not play that bad against Portugal. Maniche, from Portugal, is a punk. He should have gotten a red card. I think the officiating was weak at the end. I don't usually complain about the refs, (my teams always lose, the Bulls, the Dodgers, and the Raiders) but you got to call it fair. I believe a team should play well enought to win, even if you got the refs against you. The calls weren't terrible, but there were some that were questionable.