1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Workout Routine Critique

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Blinkbear, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I would really appreciate some advice on my lifting workout. I do 45 mins of cardio in the morning 6 days, and lift at night on a 3 day split. I'm cutting down from 30% BF. Lifting to gain/maintain muscle. I will post up a sample diet later but for now this is what I do for lifting.

Upper/Lower/Upper - MWF
    Lower/Upper/Lower - Next MWF

I made myself a couple of quick .Doc in Word so I can keep track of my lifts in the gym. Check out the attachments. Thanks.

#1 Blinkbear, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. Blinkbear

No suggestions? Additions? Subtractions? maybe if I take out the middle man. Now with no extra attachment clicking! :tu:

I don't feel like formatting it for this so here are some screen shots of the docs. Pardon the accidental highlighting on the upper workout and misspelling of exercise. Woops

#2 Blinkbear, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. Edster

Edster Well-Known Member

By and large I think it is fine. Whilst cutting your aim is going to be to preserve muscle mass, and I would say that your plan contains enough work, with enough frequency, to help with that. Two things I would definitely change: Do your Squats before the Leg Extensions; do the Deadlifts before the Leg Curls.

Thats said, I would argue that it is not the most time-efficient plan. You do have a lot of isolation exercises (12) compared to compounds (6) -- a more efficient use of your time would be if those figures were reversed. For example, why do Flies (which work only your chest) when you could do Dips (which work your chest AND your triceps...). Also one set of Biceps / Triceps should probably suffice (remember they are also worked in the pressing and pulling motions). I'd also consider splitting the Squats and Deads and doing them on seperate days.

Edit: I just looked at your loading parameters. Is there a reason behind the increasing weight? Rather than going for a plain old 5x5 or suchlike? I also cant help that think that 6 reps @ 90% on the last set is a bit bold, especially if you are using short rest periods. Give it a try, but be willing to revise it down if necessary.

#3 Edster, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  4. Blinkbear

Thank you! ya, I've done this workout for one week thus far (last week). So I've done the upper one twice and the lower one once. I do agree that my upper isn't very time efficient. I was able to complete it in a shade under an hour. I want to shoot for as close to 45 minutes as possible obviously, and I'm hoping it comes down some once I get used to the routine. I'm gonna do my best on wednesday and see what I can get it to. Leg day I was able to complete the workout in time due to lesser amount of lifts.

I also agree that I should incorporate more compounds, but at 275lbs currently...dips are a little tough hehe. So those are out right now. I'll do some searchin around and see if I can't find some others.

This week I have two leg workouts (monday and friday). I'm gonna give doing dead and squats on the same day a shot. I try to make them my first two lifts of the session as long as the squat rack isn't taken (I don't fudge with the Smith Machine). If doing them both on the same day gets to be too much, then i definitely will consider splitting them up.

As far as the increasing weight goes, it's jsut a basic pyramid workout with lower reps but more weight as opposed to higher reps at a lower weight. I keep track of all my reps in the notes section and write down how the weight feels. I figure I shouldn't be able to do all 6 on my last set, it's pretty much jsut to failure. A couple of them I was able to get the last 6 reps, on those lifts I think I will go up a little bit in weight next time. Others it was pretty diffcult and I hit the wall around 3/4 reps. Once I do, I take a quick 30 second rest and try to get another one or two reps. Once I can get all 6 without stopping, I will go go up in weight. On the lifts that I can, like preacher curls for example, once I can't do anymore reps the regualr way, I immediately switch to negatives to get a few more reps. I have someone help me get the wieght up and then I jsut fight gravity the best I can to keep the weight up...it's very difficult and really taxes the muscles.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate ya taken the time to give some suggestions. :)

5. Edster

Edster Well-Known Member

You're welcome :)

If you do want to knock 5 minutes off your upper body workout, you could drop the 3 sets of Shoulder Presses and 3 sets of Shrugs, and instead do Hang Clean and Presses. I say this because:

1. It saves time... 3 sets instead of 6.
    2. IMHO hang cleans / power cleans are a better trap builder than shrugs.
    3. The range of motion is greater. This, combined with the 'explosiveness' of the lift means you will probably burn more calories than doing the two isolations.
    4. It is a nice introduction to the movement pattern for Power Cleans, Clean and Jerks, Split Jerks etc -- all lifts that (along with the Snatch) I would highly recommend you consider for the future.

I couldn't find a decent video anywhere (the ones i found i thought the form was terrible - not that mine is perfect), so I quickly stuck one up here on youtube. You'll notice that on the first rep I bend my knees and the straighten them before the press, giving the bar some upward momentum (this is known as a push press). It typically allows you to move more weight than a normal shoulder press (as per the second rep). Either way is fine to do.

Hope that's sold it to you ;)

edit: looking back at the video, the bar should be closer to my chest; at the moment its almost like i'm doing a reverse curl. This is the first time i've taped my clean form... it does needs some work.

#5 Edster, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. Blinkbear

Dude! Perfect! I actually have done all of those lifts before as I used to do them for football. I will most definitely be yankin out those two and adding that one..I just can't believe I didn't think of it lol. But I'm glad you did. THANK YOU!

That's really cool too that you added the video. Thanks alot for that too. Really good for everyone to know and watch.

7. Blinkbear