1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Workout ideas - CRITIQUE PLEASE! :)

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Jackw72, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jackw72

Jackw72 Active Member

Hi all,

Just going through some thoughts in my mind about a new program to start for the New Year.

As for diet that is sorted I have been dieting for the most of last year and had great success so am confident in myself.

Aims for me are to improve sprint speed, general CV system and hypertrophy (context?).

Story goes...

I want to be able to;

-cycle 100 miles on the weekend
    -40m sprints in 4.5 seconds (currently hitting 4.89 @ 90kg & BF about 28%)
    -Run a mile and a half in 8 minutes
    -DL 225-250kg by 2013
    -BP 100kg by 2013
    -SQ 200kg by 2013.

I feel like I am asking for a lot but hey if I am going to aim for something may as well aim high!

I want to incorporate Power cleans as I feel the explosive power is useful for sports. I have been struggling to progress my Military Press with a barbell so was thinking of trying some dumbbells instead!

Mon -

Barbell Bench 5 x 5
    Dumbbell Mil press 10 x 5
    Bodyweight Dips till fail x 2/3
    Barbell Bent Over Rows 10 x 5

Tues -

Cardio 30 minutes + Boxercise/Circuit class

Weds -

Plyometric routine
    Explosive Leg Press 1 x 5 / 2 x 5 (suggestions?)
    Clean and press 1 x 8 - 10
    Squat 5 x 5

Thurs -

Rest/light cardio

Fri -

Heavy weighted Sit ups 2 x 5
    Chins till fail x 2/3
    Deadlift 2/3 x 5

So critique me please?

Any suggestions at all feel free to fill me with your knowledge :D

Thanks!

Jack

2. Jackw72

Jackw72 Active Member

BUMPETY BUMP :tucool:

3. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

You have a lot of goals that are occuring simultaneously. Pulling all of these off at the same time will be hard. You've got goals to increase strength, increase muscle mass, increase power, increase short-distance sprint speed, increase medium-distance speed, and increase endurance for longer distances. The good thing is you've cited the deadline for some of these. I recommend dividing your training in blocks throughout the year and focusing on each one of those goals separately. Since you've posted you're lifting routine, I assume we'll start out with your strength and hypertrophy goals.

If your goal is to increase strength on squats, deads, or bench press, the obvious choice would be starting strength or any 5x5 program. But if you want to use the program that youve devised, here's how I would modify it:

Mon -

Barbell Bench 5 x 5
    Bodyweight Dips till fail x 2/3
    Barbell Bent Over Rows 5 x 5

Tues -

Cardio 30 minutes + Boxercise/Circuit class

Weds -

Squat 5 x 5
    Clean and press 1 x 8 - 10
    Plyometric routine
    Explosive Leg Press 1 x 5 / 2 x 5 (suggestions?)

Thurs -

Rest/light cardio

Fri -

Deadlift 2/3 x 5
    Chins till fail x 2/3
    Heavy weighted Sit ups 2 x 5

Notice I mainly changed the order of your exercises and the number of sets you are doing. Make sure to increase weight on the bar every week and eat 20% over your maintenance calories, consuming mostly unprocessed natural foods, and 1gr of protein per lb of bodyweight. I'm not going to mention anything else on diet, as you already said you have a plan that works. Do what works- thats the best advice.

Hope this helps!

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I don't know how intense your Plyo routine is, but I'd treat Wednesday like a Leg day and leave Plyo out of it. If you burn your legs out doing Plyo, you may not run out of gas for the rest of your routine, but it certainly won't be as heavy as you may want it to be and or run the risk of using bad form if it's exhausting.

I'd use Tuesday for Plyo instead. There would be enough of a recovery for your Leg day, and change around your routine on Thursday. Depending on how much energy you have, you could do Boxercise or some type of circuit class which many consider cardio anyway.

If you insist on taking the full weekend off, there isn't much wiggle room, but if you want to do something on one day of the weekend, you could do some type of cardio on either Sat or Sun.

I agree with Stallion regarding your goals. All of them are good, but it would help to block them out better so that you're not in constant battle with yourself. By doing it that way, you'll be able to accomplish your goals, but it will also prevent boredom.

5. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

I agree with Stallion.

6. user786

user786 Active Member

7. Jackw72

Jackw72 Active Member

#7 Jackw72, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

I've done a couple century rides and longer triathlons, and all I can say as if your goal of cycling 100 miles on a weekend is going to happen...you need some quality time in the saddle. I'd be riding at minimium 3-4 times a week, with one longer ride. Something like 20,20,40. Gradually increase the longer ride each week or so. Its great to aim high with goals, keep it up!