1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

workout/diet for making weight?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by vanderlinden, Nov 18, 2012.

1. vanderlinden

vanderlinden Member

What is the best approach to cutting if I would like to actually lose weight for sports where it is an advantage to be lighter? (in my case, snowboarding)

Tons of cardio? Cut out heavy lifts? Men's Health style workouts instead of LP weightlifting workout? Starving?

I tend to put on mass in my chest, mid back and arms faster than I do my legs. Should I cut out heavy bench press and barbell rows in favor of push ups and chin ups?

I would like to remain cut looking on top, but am not concerned about building more mass. I almost would like to drop some of the size in my upper body while retaining relative levels of strength.

Maybe the answer is cycling? It seems to be working for John Stone. Any other thoughts?

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Making weight is usually about manipulating your weight so you hit the high end of the weight class without really losing any weight. You do all the things that cause you to drop water prior to the weigh in then you gain the water back before the event. But I don't get the impression you need to make a weight class?

I've no idea what muscles snowboarding needs. At the extreme end you could look at the stuff climbers do. I doubt any sport is more weight/strength sensitive.