1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Workings ABS on an empty stomach

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by BigL, May 11, 2005.

1. BigL

BigL Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if its a good idea to work abs on an empty stomach? I run 3 mornings a week on a empty stomach and after the workdout I'd like to do my abs but people tell me not to workout on an empty stomach because you dont get the full potential of your workout since there is nothing for your body to feed off.

So I was wondering, would I be wasting my time if i work my abs on an empty stomach or is it a myth?

Thanks

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Weight-lifting on an empty stomach is a big no-no in my opinion. People do it, and I think they would see far better results if they didn't.

That being said, abs I consider different. Doing them on an empty stomach is fine, just eat within the hour after.

3. Kem

Kem Well-Known Member

Sorry to raise a contradicting question, karatetricker, but I can't see what makes you say that the abs are different. They are made of the same matter that you're trying to augment in regular weight lifting routines, aren't they? They are just ordinary muscles? Are you referring to them not requiring as much energy to train?

4. PaulWade

PaulWade Well-Known Member

I ditto what Kem said...that seems to be a contradiction of sorts, especially if you do weighted or high intensity ab excercises (inclined, etc.) Since ab workouts are intended to build strength, not reduce fat, it seems you'd want to follow the same regimen as weights.

My own very, very, limited experience has been that if I try to do abs on an empty stomach, I get nauseated, especially if I do it after cardio. Once I stopped trying to do that, the nausea stopped and hasn't been back since. Now I only do abs on weight days, before which I have a clean breakfast.

EDIT: Corrected grammar and spelling.

5. karatetricker

Yes, I am. Most people go into the gym and do 9-12 sets of weighted exercises for all other muscle groups. Abs however, you can simply do weightless exercises and achieve very nice results. You can train them everyday and they don't, from my experience need any specific kind of pre-post nutrition.

If I stop working out for an extended period of time, my arms will shrink nearly 3/4". I have hardly done ab workouts in 2 years and my 6-pack is just as prominent, if not more so, than when I did.

I've gone through periods of doing just body-weight exercises and while I stayed toned, my muscles didn't grow much. Once I started hitting the gym, my muscles grew all over. I had been working my abs weightlessly for about 6-7 years before I tried using weighted exercises. The weighted exercises offered me no extra benefit over the weightless. Therefore, I am convinced that abs are "special" as they don't require the same kinds of workouts and nutrition rules as the other muscle groups.

6. pinoyfitness

pinoyfitness Well-Known Member

I think working your abs with resistance makes it grow just like any muscle group. Ive never had abs in my life and ever since i started working out, I can kinda feel them in my stomach. As far as working your abs with an empty stomach, i dont think it matters either, I never go to the gym with an empty stomach but i always work my abs out whenever i get a chance wheter im at the gym or when im about to go to sleep.

7. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

This seems like a good thread to ask this question since we're talking abs.I LOVE DOING ABS! It is by far my favorite bodypart to work.I've read so much conflicting sh -t about frequency that it's making my head spin.I do mine at least 4 times per week.If I didn't feel like I was committing a major sin i'd probably do them daily.I don't use weight,just body weight.I'd like some thoughts on this.To be honest,it won't change a damn thing.Maybe make me feel better about my over indulgence.

8. pinoyfitness

i actually do mine about 6 to 7 times a week...i can feel the definition, just need to loose body fat so it will actually show.

9. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I'm down to about 8-9 %. They're there clear as day.I guess all that dieting paid off.

10. pinoyfitness

congats man... what bf% did you start at?

cant wait to get to 1 digit

11. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

to tell you the truth,i'm not sure. I started this diet/cardio on 2/2/05 and weighed a chubby 200 lbs.I just weighed myself yesterday and weighed in at 163.as i've explained in past threads,it appears that i've lost almost all bodyfat and close to "0" lean muscle.My lifts have not decreased at all and in some exercises have even increased.Beats me. all I can say is "I'm real happy with the results"

12. Demon Knight

Demon Knight Well-Known Member

Your abs work pretty much all day and in almost every exercise. You bench press, you use abs to stabilize. You do pull ups, you use abs to stabilize. For all you chubby people like me, just tense your abs and feel them with your fingers. They're there! Doing a million sets of sit ups will do very little for appearance but will make them harder (very important for sports like boxing). Abs will show no matter what when you drop to single digits. I do my abs without any weights. Doing it right will make a hell of a difference in how easily you can do it. For example, for crunches, you don't lift yourself up. What you do is try and touch your hips with your ribcage. You curl, you don't lift. Crunch, then hold for a sec, then release and again. I do about 10 reps, 3 sets.

13. karatetricker

I keep seeing you mention your progress, which sounds phenomenal. Care to share how you went about it and maybe some progress pics if you have?

14. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Karatetricker,I'll try to make this short.To begin with,I just turned 51 and have been an on again off again gym rat since I was a kid.I suppose there is truth to the belief that muscle retains memory.I've always been fairly lean with the ability to get descent size when I applied smart training
    About 4 months ago I began to panic when I realized I was no longer a kid while taking a good look in the mirror.I had a serious case of middle aged spread.I decided to make 1 more run at the "beach body."I immediately cut my caloric intake to about 1000 calories at a 50p/35c/15f%.I did this for 10 days.I incorporated cardio into my regime along with a 4 day split weight training routine,upper/lower body.After 10 days of 1000 cal. I upped it to 1250 which was still way below my requirements. I added calories weekly or bi-weekly and am currently up to approx.2100 max.I have recently changed to a 40/40/20 diet.
    Look, I don't recommend this technique to anybody.Hell,I did this in a state of panic but somehow it's worked well for me.All I can say is every body is different.
    As for pictures,unfortunately I have no before pictures however I will try to get a hold of a digital camera and post some of the new and improved me.
    If you want to talk more about this feel free to E-mail me at Doordude42 @aol.com

15. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I've recently gone back to early morning fasted state lifting. Historically, my best gains have been made in such a fashion. I generally eat low glycemic carbs late in the day the night before I lift (my last meal is about an hour from bedtime and has a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein). Then the next morning, I immediately get up and go straight to the gym to workout.

This is not optimal to some people. It has worked best for me. I've tried working out later in the day with food in my system and the results have never been as good as an early morning schedule. As much as I dislike being a morning person, it works so off I will go at that unfriendly hour.

I can't say I'd recommend working out in a fasted state later in the day. As I've never tried that, I don't know what effect it might have, but I don't think it would be beneficial.

-R

16. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you how different everyone is. Last week I overslept or my alarm didn't go off. In any case, I missed the time I had planned to do a leg workout. I had a final not too long after so I didn't have time to eat a normal meal. But I didn't do it fasted. I guzzled a whey and dex shake and went immediately to the gym. I still felt horrible-I thought I would pass out by the end of the workout. I could never gain mass or have decent workouts lifting in a fasted state.

17. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Hey Bluestreek, That's what i"m saying man.Whatever works, right?

18. karatetricker

Ahh yes, but perhaps later in the day you are worn out from your daily life activities (doesn't necessarily have to be actual active-ity, sitting at work for several hours can sure knock the energy out of you.) I'm all for people doing what works for them, but lifting in a non-fasted state is one of the few things I find to be pretty concrete. Have you ever considered digesting something prior to your workout, but still doing it earlier in the day?

I'd think it hard to grow muscles when they don't have the fuel in your body they need to grow.

19. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Yes. It's just not my thing. Just about anything I put in my stomach, except water, tends to upset it a little first thing in the morning. So I'd have to get up earlier... wait 20 or 30 minutes, eat, digest a little before going to the gym... I get up early enough as it is.

Certain things just... work... for some people. It may not be the most optimal plan, but it is for me. Why? Because I do it, do it consistently (when I'm on my game with a goal), and get at least some satisfying results from it. I've learned not to screw with what's comfortable - don't question it beyond a useful need, just do it.

And I can't do the same thing forever. Something will change in time, and I'll change things up. For now, I'm not screwin' with what works.

-R

20. pinoy_dude

pinoy_dude Well-Known Member

I do my AB-works early in the morning before doing anything (i.e. shower, prepare breakfast, get ready for worK) on an empty stomach. I do it 3-4 times a week, unweighted and usually just hip-ups, reverse crunches, slow crunches and oblique crunches. I've gotten satisfactory results with it in just a little more than a year...from a prominent gut to a visible four-pack (unflexed). I've never used any weighted routines and almost never did it together with my regular work-outs at night.

The point is...as with other routines, each of us is different especially with the way our body responds...am just one of those fortunate ones whose abs show up even without using weighted exercises. As for those stubborn (& frustrating) 5th and 6th section that completes the "PACK", maybe me doing some weighted leg lifts will hasten their "popping-out" :db: