1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Working the back in a home gym

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by gravityhomer, Feb 9, 2013.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So I have one of these sets in the basement.

sprtAllExercise_EquipmentWeider_450_Olympic_Bench_WEBE_64411.jpg

Along with a straight bar and one of those hex bars (where you stand in the middle).

I have squat, and bench press exercises pretty well covered. But I need some more variety in working the back. I can do different dead lifts, straight bar, hex bar and stiff legged dead lifts, but all of these work the legs too much.

Here's the other issues, basement ceiling is only 79-80 inches, so I can't fit a lat pulldown. I've searched many times trying to find something small enough with no luck, most are minimum 84 inches.

I also have a real problem with standing bent over rows. A few years ago I tweaked my neck while doing them with bad form and it took a while to heal. So I just avoid that. But I can do one arm bent over rows by supporting myself on the bench like this. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

I've looked through various exercises here, but thought I would ask people what they like to do. I'm very wary of having enough neck support.

2. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

So I think I solved this. It occurred to me while looking at all the back exercises. I didn't realize there was so many lever versions. So I put the leg curl on the bench which I almost never use. Then I took a bike lock, which is just a steel cable and tied one end around the end of the leg and the other end I looped through one of those push-up handles, which pretty much looks like a V-grip. Then I sit on the bench and I have my cable row.

3. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, I might be able to do something with the incline bench and dumbbells.