1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Working out, but gaining weight

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by 2bfit, Apr 17, 2004.

1. 2bfit

2bfit Well-Known Member

I have a question. I workout at least 3-5 days a week. My workout consists of weight-conditioning of the arms and legs (just enough to tone them, not build up the muscle), 15-45 minutes of cardio, and abs. Why am I gaining weight? :d_confuse

2. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

Your either gaining muscle or eating too many calories. How's your diet? Are you tracking what you eat?

3. 2bfit

2bfit Well-Known Member

I am eating one cereal bar in the morning, a salad for lunch, and dinner usually consists of either chicken or tuna.

4. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

So lets see here.... A cereal bar contains approximately 200 calories, a salad will contain around 100 calories, dressing contains roughly about 100 calories in two TBS (assuming you use the regular kind not low fat or fat free), a can of Tuna contains about 175 calories and a chicken breast contains about 200 calories.

So you are eating roughly about 600 calories a day? If this is accurate the you are starving yourself. Your body is fighting back by holdng on to everything it takes in. The MINIMUM anyone should eat is 1200 calories a day.

I would suggest that you start eating more food. Try eating six times a day to keep your metabolism revved up throughout the day. Also I would switch to a healthier breakfast because cereal bars are loaded with sugar.

5. 2bfit

2bfit Well-Known Member

[SIZE=]undefined[/SIZE]
    Oh! Wow. Didn't realize that. I feel so stupid now. Thanks for your help.

6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Don't feel stupid! This site can help you get a handle on your caloric needs.

:gl:

7. dimbulb

dimbulb Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as toning!! the 'toned' arms that you see on people come about from lifting heavy weights. It's REALLY hard to get bulky even when you're trying your best to get bulky. Most of the time, you just end up looking 'toned'.

8. dstaver

dstaver Well-Known Member

9. CrysmBug

CrysmBug Well-Known Member

That's strange - ANYTIME you eat less calories than your body burns you WILL lose weight - so you should have been losing some weight, maybe not the right kind, but some weight. Did you count nibbles on things too--that use to get me :o -- anyhoo-- like destiny said you should be eating more calories and the right kind of calories and don't be scared to lift heavy weights - the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

10. Bobbkaare

Bobbkaare Well-Known Member

I second that! All girls read ^ this ^ !!