1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Words of Wisdom from someone who has been there.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Emilio, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I am procrastinating as usual so I figured why not write something for those who are trying to get rid of some bodyfat. I just want to share some tips and things to keep in mind when cutting, especially for those of you who are in for the long haul like myself. Ok here it goes:

- Its not going to happen over night. Well let me restate that. Real loss of bodyfat is not going to be super quick. You didn't gain that extra 10.. 15.. or in my case 75+ lbs over night so don't expect them to dissapear overnight. This is not a change you make for a month. It is a change you make for the rest of your life

- People around you won't notice as much as you think they would. They see you every day so the change is gradual. That is why I am a firm believer in taking pictures and measurements often. I can tell you exactly how many inches I've lost from my neck and wrist.. why is that important? Who knows.. but I CAN tell you. The reality check happens when you see people who you haven't seen in 4-5 months. Its nice.. trust me.

- People expect you to fail. Its the truth. Prove them wrong!

- Cheat! I cheat once a week. It helps me keep my cravings in check and lets me have my social life. Be sure to cheat in moderation though. A big greasy cheese burger and fries and a beer or two on a friday night isn't a big deal. But that same meal saturday for lunch.. and dinner.. and maybe leftovers on sunday is a big deal.

- Cardio/Proper Nutrition/Weight Training. Those three are a requirement. Ladies don't be afraid to pump some iron! Little do you know but a strong back is extremely sexy! And its pretty much impossible to get HUGE without the use of AAS.

- Tone is a four letter word... thats just me though.

- Cut or bulk.. one or the other. Contrary to what most people will tell you Fat does not turn into muscle. Also if you want to gain muscle mass don't do it while you are in a caloritic deficiency. Its just not going to work.

- While on the topic of calories. Be aware of what you eat. Learn to understand what nutritional labels mean. Servings are MUCH smaller than you think. On that same topic please don't starve yourself! When you do this your body holds onto your bf even harder, its a primal thing. Also, don't freak out about your calories. Be as accurate as you can without being neurotic. When you are prepping for the olympia then you can go totally OCD. I say this because what happens is that when you are out of the zone you may freak out and instead of makign the healthiest choice possible just throw caution and logic to the wind.

- Prepare for dissapointment. You will hit a platau and it will SUCK! I've been there.. twice. Its no fun but just keep chugging along. You will also screw up with your diet and your training a few times here and there. Forget it and keep moving.

- Live your life. If your new lifestyle is interfering with your social/family/work life take a step back and find ways to make your old and your new lives work together. If there is a will there is a way.

- Find like minded people! This forum is full of people who want to help you more than you will ever realize. John is an excellent motivator but so are soo many other members of this forum.

- Take a multi vitamin. Take your pick. There are hundreds of different brands out there. Personally I take Kent Nutrition's Super Vita Boost but thats cause its cheap, $20 for 90 days worth, and I have come to love it.

- Drink water.. If you think you are drinking enough.. drink more! You should never feel thirsty as that is your body telling you that is needs water.

- Scales. The double edged sword. I weigh myself every few days first thing in the morning wearing only my boxer briefs. The key to accurate measurements is consistancy. Pick a time of the day/week and stick to it.

- What has worked for me may not work for you! Everyone is different and will react differently to routines, diets, etc. Experiment and see what works best for you!

- Oh and get a blood test! Some changes can't be seen in a mirror or on a scale. You'll feel them though!

- Search! There is more info here than you can imagine.

- Support the forums. Seriously. Think about it this way. 1 Session with a personal trainer costs on the average anywhere from 35-75 dollars and up. Thats a 1 hr session which will focus strictly on regurgitated info about form, diet, etc. Supporting the forums can cost as little as a 10 dollars (purchase stuff from the store if you'd rather).

Ok thats all I could come up with at the moment so as Arnold once said, "See it.. Believe it.. and never stop working to make it happen" Or something like that!

As always I love to talk shop so feel free to contact me...

Best of Luck! :gl:
    Emilio

2. Sazuki

Sazuki Well-Known Member

That's quality info! Thanks for sharing that.

3. groomy

groomy Well-Known Member

Thanks Emilio - some great words of wisdom there.

4. henderjr

henderjr Well-Known Member

Great stuff man.

One thing I'd add is to keep religious track of your calories/macros for a while. It's a lot harder to have that bowl of icecream when you know that you'll have to put it in fitday (or whatever you use) and then feel guilty for doing it. It's helped me a ton. I've been using it for about a year and a half now. As I now seem to have a good handle on calories and my diet I think I could stop keeping track so closely. But if I feel myself losing control the food log seems to help me get back on track.

Also measure your servings. It was sort of mentioned above. You'll be surprised at how little one serving of ice cream is (1/2 cup usually). It'll seem like next to nothing but if you're dilligent and don't eat more than that it'll curb your craving enough without getting hundreds of extra calories.

Jesse

5. Emilio

Emilio Well-Known Member

Yeah I love how bags of chips or cookies will list tiny serving sizes so that they can put that each serving is a mere 100 calories! Too bad that serving is less than a palm full!