1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Woodman's journal - new guy here

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by woodman24, Feb 23, 2005.

1. woodman24

woodman24 Well-Known Member

Hi there, all. I suppose it's time to stop lurking and get posting. I've been aware of JSF for quite a while now (since early 2004), and I must say that there's a load of information, and more importantly, inspiration here.

I'll hope to post here as often as I can, but here's some info/history on me:

I'm 35 years old, married, and became a father in December 2003. My little one has been the biggest inspiration to get fit, though I have faltered to be truthful. My goal is to continue getting healthier for both my wife and son. My dad had a heart attack at 48 (in 1983) and in 2003 went through a quad bypass that really shook my family up. That also motivates me--I don't want my family to have to deal with that from me.

I've always struggled with my weight since childhood. I went through numerous operations (from 1971-1992) on my kidneys, colon, etc. which I think had the biggest effect on my eating habits. Every time I was hospitalized, I was unable to eat anything, then I'd overeat constantly when I was released, always gaining weight. I tell this not for sympathy (I'm fine now), but just to get the facts out there.

I remember my weights as follows:

1984 (sophmore HS): 180 lbs, 5'9 or so
    1987 (senior HS): 210 lbs, 6'0
    1989 (sophmore college): 230 lbs (with a 40" waist)
    1990 (junior year): 235 lbs (waist at an all time high of 42")
    1991 (My first significant weight loss): 189 lbs
    1992 (after last surgery): 174 lbs (after not eating for 12 days in hospital, yikes!)
    1993-1999: fluctuated between 200-215
    1999 (wedding): 217 lbs
    2003 (birth of my son): 248-253 lbs (gained 30 lbs while my wife was pregnant)

In January 2004, I started a BFL program, and went from approx. 250 down to 230. After 6 weeks or so, I got frustrated after plateauing and stopped the program. :mad:

Throughout 2004, I maintained my weight, but my bodyfat went up to about 34-35% (according to my "trusty" Tanita scale).

January 2005 rolled around, I rediscovered JSF, and well...I've been kicking some a** since then.

My program:

Nutrition: 1600-2100 cals/day, 40/30/30. I seem to have plateaued in the last 1 1/2 weeks, so I'm switching to a 40/40/20 diet, upping my protein intake.

Cardio: 3-5x/week (usually at lunchtime), 20-30 minutes interval training on the elliptical (I go 30 secs sprinting, 90 seconds recovery. This seems to make the session go quicker for me, and it gets my HR up to 160 or so).

Weights: 3-4x/week (usually in the evening), 30-45 minute sessions.

Hopefully since this is my first post, my progress pics come out ok.

Comments and critiques are most welcome and I'm glad to finally be here!

Woodman

p.s. John, your nutrition/meal planner spreadsheet is terrific!!

Attached Files:

2. woodman24

Today was a looooooong day at work, 12 hours with just a minimal time for lunch, so no cardio today. That's ok though, I've got two cardio workouts in this week, plus an upper body (Mon) and lower body (Tue) workout also. :tu:

Nutrition for today:

2220 cals: 33% protein/40% carb/27% fat. Not bad, but could be better.

This week, I'm concentrating on reducing sodium intake (I'm a recovering saltaholic), and increasing water intake (also a recovering dietcoke-aholic). Diet drinks aren't great for me, so I'm working on reducing them. Fortunately, I was able to give up regular sodas 14 years ago--and never went back. :tucool:

3. woodman24

Nutrition for today:

2010 cals: 37% prot/26% carb/37% fat. Lunch was a minor problem today, but I recovered ok.

Workout:

Full upper body workout this afternoon.

I weighed myself this evening: 223.5 lbs/28% BF. Weight's up a bit, but BF% is down, so I'm not discouraged.

Tomorrow's plan will be for cardio at lunch, with strict nutrition.

4. woodman24

Did not get a chance to post last night.

Yesterday's stats (2/25/05):

2080 cals: 30% prot/46% carb/24% fat. A little too low on the protein intake, but overall a pretty good day. I feel good because we've got our neice and nephews staying with us while their parents are out of town. So...for dinner for them last night, I had them order a nice, big cheese pizza...and did not have a craving to have one bite of it myself! :tu:

Workout:

23 minutes cardio on the treadmill--intervals. A good workout.

I'll be off to the gym soon here today--legs.

5. woodman24

Today's information:

Nutrition: 2180 cals: 38% prot/34% carb/28% fat. A pretty good day. I still was hungry at 11pm, so I ate a protein bar (BFL Cookies/Cream). This was the most protein I've had in a day in quite a long time (208g). Alot of that is credited to dinner: Talapia & a few bites of steak (appx 60g protein for the meal).

Workout: Full leg workout & did well. The last workout of the week is always the toughest for me because I know I've done well for the week and that my free day (Sunday) is just around the corner.

Tonight while my wife and niece and nephews were eating root beer floats, I toughed it out & and only ate 2 protein bars (400 cals total). I'm proud of that--I used to be weak when others began eating junk, now I just seem to be developing discipline and looking the other way.

6. woodman24

Update:

Sunday was a free day for me. I had a swiss cheese, bacon, mushroom omelette w/ pancakes; potato chips; Red Robin bleu ribbon burger w/ fries (couldn't finish it all!); vanilla shake; and a donut. I'm finding that some of my cheats don't seem satisfying anymore! Especially fast food and potatoes (french fries and potato chips). The vanilla shake, however, was delicious!

Yesterday:

Didn't post yesterday because I was 13 hours at work and hit the sack when I got home.

Nutrition: 1700 cals: 31% prot/34% carb/35% fat. Not horrible, but high on the fat intake. Because I was so swamped w/ work, I ate a large lunch where most of the fat came from, and the rest of the days meals were protein bars.

Workout: Because of work, no workout was done. :mad: Of course, I blame work, when I know I could've squeezed in 20 mins of cardio somewhere along the line. It's a missed workout, and now I'll just move on and not let it get me down or discouraged.

Today:

Nutrition: 1900 cals: 39% prot/31% carb/30% fat. A better day, but not perfect.

Workout: Full upper body workout and a good one. My back feels worn out! Traps are burning still...I know I'll feel this one tomorrow. After the workout I looked in the mirror, and perhaps for the first time ever, I could see the pump in my upper body, esp. in the shoulders! I think my muscle mass is coming along well (my opinion, of course). However, I've got to keep dropping the fat.

The scale says 221.0 today, so my weight is not down any. BUT, I feel better than I have in years, and my 36" waist pants now fit perfect. My new goal for my waist is to get the 36's feeling loose, so perhaps a 34" waist.

Also, I actually got my first compliment from a co-worker. She said, "Woody, are you losing weight? I can tell." That may not seem like much, but believe me, in my office, it's something because I'm in a very negative work environment with more stress than I'd wish upon anyone. Anyway, it made me feel good, and I thanked her for the compliment and noticing!

7. woodman24

Info for today:

Nutrition: 2290 cals: 27% prot/45% carb/28% fat. Overall, certainly could have been better.

Workout: 23 mins elliptical (intervals) during lunch break. I'm thinking about putting in cardio in the mornings before work now. I think I need to adjust my cardio routine to jump start my program. Unfortunately, I am not a morning workout person, but, hell, I've changed so much in the last 2 months, why not become a morning exerciser?

I'm proud of the most important thing in fitness--my diet. I've avoided junk and fast food (except on Sundays) completely, no cheating, no nibbles, no temptation! Well, maybe *some* temptation, but I get past it!

8. woodman24

Today's information:

Nutrition: 1810 cals: 40% prot/33% carb/26% fat. A good day all in all. I cooked salmon and cod for dinner with 1/2 cup of white corn and green beans. I'm going to try to include fish for dinner more often because of the amount of quality protein it contains.

Cardio: 45 mins elliptical--broken into two sessions: fasted state 1st thing this morning, the other at lunch during work.

Workout: Legs: I couldn't get to the gym, so I improvised at home. I did wall squats, 3 sets of 5, hold each rep at the bottom for 10 seconds...and it burned! I added some hamstring work after, and it feels like a nice intense workout, albeit somewhat short.

9. woodman24

Almost forgot to mention:

Today as I was walking toward the gym, a girl I work with (who's in another office) was just leaving and called me over. We are good friends, but don't see each other nearly enough.

She said, "You are looking so good. I noticed you at our meeting on Monday when you walked in." She is in great shape and a beautiful person. Man, what a compliment!

Now, now...I know what y'all are thinking. ;) I'm happily married, as is she.

It's a great feeling to get a compliment like that! Motivating!

10. woodman24

Sorry for the delay in posting my updates!

The delay is not due to a falling off of my program, just a lack of posting!

Friday, 3/4/05:

Nutrition: Excellent day--1900 cals, +40% protein
    Cardio: 2 sessions, morning (22 mins); afternoon (23 mins).
    A great day!

Saturday, 3/5/05:

Nutrition: 2000 cals (appx 35% protein)
    Workout: Legs and a 10 lap fastwalk around the track at the gym.

I'll update today's info tonight when I've got it calculated.

11. woodman24

Today's information:

All in all, a great day all around!

Nutrition: 1920 cals: 39% prot/39% carb/22% fat. One of my best & most consistent nutrition days; I think I'm really getting disciplined with my nutrition! :tu:

Cardio: Morning-fasted state, 22 mins elliptical. Lunch-23 mins elliptical. (45 mins total)

Workout: Evening-Upper body workout. Afterward, had a protein shake with 2 cups low carb milk & 1 scoop whey (47g protein, 9g carb, 6g fat). I really like the Hood Carb Countdown milk for my shakes. I'm not doing low-carb dieting, I like it for the flavor and low sugar count.

Also, I've finally broken the 220 lb threshold. On 3/4, I weighed in at 217.0, then verified it on 3/5, coming in at 218.0. :claplow:

12. woodman24

Today's information:

Nutrition: 1890 cals: 32% prot/37% carb/31% fat. A little too low on protein, and a bit high on the fat (65g fat today)

Cardio: One cardio workout--23 mins ellip at lunch (a great cardio workout, the sweat was pouring off me at the end.)

I'm continuing to be focused and consistent. Not perfect, but consistent!

13. woodman24

A pretty good day today, considering how frustrating work was (as per the usual it seems :d_frown: )

Nutrition: 2050 cals: 28% prot/44% carb/28% fat.

Cardio: 23 mins ellip at lunch--an excellent session

Workout: Legs this evening--pretty good workout.

Tomorrow, I will hit a cardio session in the morning before work with another at lunch. Weights will be an upper body session.

I'm considering throwing my Tanita scale out a window at this point--the fluctuations in bodyfat % on it are getting frustrating. I'm not really concerned about body weight (not TOO concerned I should say), so what's the point in stepping on the scale? I think I should just be taking measurements and going on my appearance in the mirror. I think I'm still making strides: My "old" pants I could almost put on and off while they were buttoned, so I think that's a positive. Plus, while working my legs tonite, I could see the appearance of veins in my quads (not bulging veins, but I could see their blue color under the skin). I guess I'll just keep plugging away!

14. woodman24

A sucky day at work, unfortunately... :(
    A decent day nutrition-wise... :)
    And an excellent day for cardio! :tu:

Nutrition: 2240 cals: 29% prot/41% carb/31% fat.

Cardio: 2 sessions--23 mins during lunch hour; 22 mins elliptical after work; 45 mins total.

No weight workout today. I'm going to start a bodyweight routine (saw it posted here in the forums) that sounds like good change of pace for me right now. I think I've got some pretty good mass, so I'd like to work on some muscular endurance and continue cutting. The routine will include pushups (which I can do alot of), pullups (which I can't do many of), situps, bodysquats, etc.

We'll see how it works out over the next few weeks, and of course, I'll keep hitting the cardio hard!

15. woodman24

Today's information:

A terrific day both nutrition and workout-wise!

Nutrition: 2190 cals: 37% prot/41% carb/22% fat. A nice, solid day. I finished it off just a bit ago with a protein shake made with EAS AdvantEdge powder. I bought it at Sam's Club, 6 lbs for $20, however, it does not taste as good as Opt. Nutrition Whey. I may go back and get a bottle of O.N., I like it better.

Cardio: 22 minutes 1st thing this morning--not a bad session, but I just don't seem to be a morning person for workouts. My effort seem more intense during the lunch hour or after work.

Workout: I did start my bodyweight routine today. I plan on doing in 3x/week, MWF. It was an ass kicker! Much harder and more intense than I thought. Routine today was as follows:

-Sit ups: 76 total, 25 consecutive. I know, I know...I need to get better w/ my abs! :nod:
    -Push ups: 100 total, 40 consecutive. Not horrible, but room to improve!
    -Pullups (done on our Total Gym, Level 7): 35 total, 15 consecutive.
    -Chins (again on the Total Gym): 15 total, 10 consecutive.
    (My back and lats were firing after this!)
    -Bodysquats: 100 total, 51 consecutive.
    -1 mile on the elliptical in 9:03. Alot of room to improve, but my heart was pounding!

Tomorrow will be a cardio only day, I think I'll need a couple of days to recover anyhow.

16. woodman24

I did not get a chance to post for Saturday, 3/12, but it was a good day. I got a cardio session in, and my eating was decent (not the best nutrition I've had, but it was decent).

This week is off to a little rough start. My wife is out of town, and my son is sick. I'll get my workout in somehow, probably after he goes to bed tonight. My eating is going well today, but for a day not being at work, I'm busy as hell!

17. woodman24

Ok, today is winding down. I did not get a workout in. :mad: However my eating was clean and pretty low calorie overall.

Nutrition: 1770 cals: 32% prot/47% carb/22% fat. Not too bad, I think I'll still be in a caloric deficit today. Anyway, I started something today that I haven't seen discussed much in the forums--I started supplementing my fiber intake. We'll see how it affects me over the next few weeks. After reviewing my nutrition, I think my fiber intake was way too low. I was only getting significant fiber maybe 1-2 meals per day. So hopefully, supplementing it will help.

Tomorrow will be a full bodyweight workout, with a cardio session thrown in somewhere!

18. woodman24

Ok, today's info starts early! My wife is still out of town until tomorrow, my son is feeling better, so I am TAKING THE DAY OFF from the freaking zoo that I work in!

...which means of course, that I will probably surf JSF for too many hours today. :tu:

I just finished my workout, it was great!

I did the following:

-Situps: 100 total, 35 consecutive
    -Pushups: 100 total, 45 consecutive
    -Pullups (Tot. Gym, not *real* ones!): 35 total, 17 consecutive
    -Chins: 8 consec.
    -Bodysquats: 100 total, 60 consecutive
    -1 mile (elliptical): 8:32

Each of the above is an improvement over the first routine I did on Friday. :tu: I think it's because I put more effort into it, pushing for the last few reps each time. I feel great...I mean, tired and worn out!

19. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey woodman, nice journal you've got here. I hear you about the BF% coming out of a scale. I just don't think they make any sense whether you have low or high BF. Try a tape measure and this website http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm

didn't read your whole journal so not sure if you chose a new method. I found the tape measure method to be more in line with what my eyes were telling me. I have yet to get any calipers.

Good luck with your transformation!

20. woodman24

Thanks for the link! According to it, I'm at 21.6% BF. That sure as hell makes me feel better!

I estimated what I *may* have been at at my heaviest (added 4 inches to the waist & 3 to the hips), and estimated BF to be at 30.3%.

If I look at my starting pics, I think I may have been higher than 30.3%, but what the hell, I see and feel the progress!

So, according to these numbers:

-Starting: 30.3% BF = 171 lbm/74 fat
    -Current: 21.6% BF = 171 lbm/47 fat

Can't testify to the accuracy of the starting numbers, they are just estimates.

#20 woodman24, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005