1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

woodan's HST journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by woodan, Jul 27, 2009.

1. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

This is a favourite proverb of mine which I'll pull out the bag when someone is moaning at me about not reaching their goals while at the same time making no significant effort to change the way they do things. However, more recently I think this has applied to me.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my training lately and I've come to the conclusion that the programs I've been following are too advanced for the level I'm at. I don't need a body part split yet. I've never had particularly good results using one and yet I've been using one for most, if not all, of this year.

The best results I had were following Starting Strength. And this wasn't a case of noob gains as I'd already made significant progress before I started it. At the end of that program I was not only lighter and leaner than I am now but significantly stronger. That was a year ago. So something has to be done.

I've been thinking a lot about full body workouts recently. At my level I think it makes sense. A frequent, smaller stimulus rather than a less frequent, larger stimulus (that allows muscles to adapt and "un-adapt" before the next workout). With this in mind I considered coming up with a plan myself, picking a bunch of compounds and couple of iso and going with a 3x8 scheme. But then I remembered Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST) was a full body workout, 3 times a week, lot's of people have said they've had good gains on it, so I figured I'd look into that.

As I mentioned above HST is a full body workout done 3 times a week. A cycle is typically 8 weeks long split into four 2 week microcycles. Each microcycle uses a different rep range and you are supposed to progressively load up to the your RM of that range across the 6 workouts. The rep ranges are 15, 10, 5 and then on to negatives if you have a spotter, or carry on with 5's and progressively load. Different amounts of sets are also used in the microcycles. 1x15, 2x10 and 3x5 are the norm.

So it starts off a bit like HIT and ends up like Starting Strength. It's certainly different to the splits I've been using for a while and not progressing with.

I've been know to program jump quite a bit and I'm basically abadoning another program midway through to start this. This is not something that has bothered me much and although I may jump from one program to another it's typically just a reordering of the exercises. All my workouts for as long as I can remember have been mainly the same compound movements, and usually in the lower rep ranges. However, this is partly the reason I've decided to start this new journal specifically for this program. The other reason is that my previous journal is way to big and it's time for a fresh start.

So it begins here. I'll use today to work out my 15RMs for the exercises I choose to do. I'll post this up later today.

2. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Subbed. This is sure to be a good read like the old journal. Never tried HST so it will be interesting to see how that goes for ya. :cool:

3. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

Good luck with your new plan :tucool:

4. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Rather than testing my maxs (15, 10, 5) this week I've decided to dive straight in. I've got lots of recent lifting data so I've just used an online calculator. I've erred on the side of caution as well. Chances are the weights might be too light on the RM days but that's not a bad thing as I should never been going to failure.

I'm going to be using the following exercises:

Squat
    Romanian Deadlift
    Flat Bench
    Bent Row
    Press
    BB Shrugs
    Close Grip Bench
    BB Curls

This proves to be one of the quickest workouts I've done during the 1x15 phase.

5. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Squat
    10x20
    15x50

Romanian Deadlift
    15x50

Bench (slight incline)
    10x20
    15x37.5

Bent Row
    15x37.5

Press
    15x25

BB Shrugs
    15x57.5

Close Grip Bench
    15x27.5

BB Curl
    15x20

This workout surprised me. On paper it looks piss easy. But taking all the reps slow and controlled, trying to focus on the muscle soon caught up with me after the 15 reps. The main one that was heavy was the bent row, but I've just noticed I lifted more than I was supposed too. So that's not a problem. All in all the lifting took about 20 minutes which was a nice change. This is only going to increase though. I can imagine the 3x5 cycle taking over and hour with all the sets, more rest, and more warmup sets. I should enjoy this fortnight while it lasts.

6. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Squat
    10x20
    15x55

Romanian Deadlift
    15x55

Bench (slight incline)
    10x20
    15x40

Bent Row
    15x30

Press
    15x26

BB Shrugs
    15x60

Close Grip Bench
    15x30

BB Curl
    15x21

The whole workout seemed to feel a lot easier than it did on Monday. Not that it was difficult then. Maybe I was just prepared for the 15 reppers today. Anyway, everything other than the press felt light. Everything was done slow and controlled. I timed the workout today and it took 30 minutes and that's including the 5 minutes or light cardio I do before I hit the weights. I'm loving the quickness. Let's hope I the results are good.

7. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

So the idea is to do 1 set of 15 reps for each exercise for 8 weeks, 3 times a week, with the aim of increasing the weight each session?

8. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:tucool:

9. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

No, the idea is to keep progressively overloading. The first two weeks I work up to my 15RMs with 1 set of 15. The next two weeks I work up to my 10RMs with 2 sets of 10. The 3rd two weeks I work up to my 5RMs with 3 sets of 5. Then the final two weeks are meant to be negatives. I don't have a spotter so it's recommended to just carry on with the 5s but try and add weight where you can.

Hopefully, you should just be able to keep increasing the weight on the bar without too much "zig zagging" (where I start a two week cycle with weights lower than the last cycle ended on).

At the moment it's pretty easy and very quick. But I imagine the 4th-8th week are gonna be pretty tough and long.

Edit:
    Oh, and once you are done with the 8 weeks you are meant to take 9-14 days off for strategic deconditioning. From what I've read people seem to gain the most in the first 4 weeks.

10. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Reading isn't my strong point. Thanks for typing it out again. :o

#10 Foley, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Not sure if I mentioned this already but I bought a Nike+ sportsband so I can track my runs properly.

Today I tried some sprints. Holy shit, they almost killed me. I only managed 4 actual sprints and they can't have been much longer that 50-60 meters. That was enough for today though. I'll go for 5 next time.

You can see my run stats here:
    http://bit.ly/2OE1mG

12. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

13. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

I am very interested in your progress. Did you go to the HST website at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html, or some other site to create your program? I have heard from many people in here and on other sites that they had great results. I like full body programs, so it something I will try soon. I will keep watching your journal.

14. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I came up with my workout after reading the official site and also this thread at bb.com. The thing I like about HST is that it's just a set of principles. It's up to you what your workout looks like (within reason). I've only had two workouts on it so far but I'm enjoying doing a full body workout again. This phase is crazy quick as well leaving me loads of freetime which I'm appeciating.

15. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

In other news I'm still hovering around the 90.5kg mark. Once I've finished this job I'll make more of an effort to up my calories. I hope to gain some significant mass between now and the end of the year. Then at the start of next year I'll do a proper cut and get ripped. My aim is to make one of these ads where I make myself look as fat as possible, then lean out (though I'll also have to work out how to get a tan).

View attachment 31982

#15 woodan, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  16. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

Yeah, do the ad and have people pay to find out how you did it. haha.

17. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

They won't like what I have to tell them.

18. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Squat
    10x20
    15x60

Romanian Deadlift
    15x60

Bench (slight incline)
    10x20
    15x42.5

Bent Row
    15x32.5

Press
    15x27

BB Shrugs
    15x62.5

Close Grip Bench
    15x32.5

BB Curl
    15x22

Good workout. As I'm taking the reps slow and controlled it really creeps up on you by the 12 rep and there is a definite 'burn' I'm feeling. :confused: I don't think it was a good idea doing the sprints on a Thursday. I think I need a bit more recovery time. Some muscles in my legs were sore and my squats felt slightly awkward because of it. I'll go for Saturdays in future.

19. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Squat
    10x20
    15x65

Romanian Deadlift
    15x65

Bench (slight incline)
    10x20
    15x45

Bent Row
    15x35

Press
    15x28

BB Shrugs
    15x65

Close Grip Bench
    15x35

BB Curl
    15x23

Good workout tonight. I was slightly concerned as my groin was hurting this weekend. This was likely down to the sprints in Thursday. It didn't seem to bother my squats though, which were nice and deep today. The press was hard work towards the end. I should have another 2kg in me though. Everything else was fine.

I know it only been a week but I feel as though I'm getting noticeably bigger already, to me at least. I've never noticed this sort of thing before. Perhaps it's just psychosomatic. My scale weight is relatively unchanged.

20. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Squat
    10x20kg
    15x70

Romanian Deadlift
    15x70

Bench (slight incline)
    10x20
    15x47.5

Bent Row
    15x37.5

Press
    15x29

BB Shrugs
    15x70

Close Grip Bench
    15x37.5

BB Curl
    15x24

Some of the exercises are getting tough for these 15 reppers. The press is the worst. Some of the exercises are a bit easy still. Last session on Friday though, then to the 10 reppers.