1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Without Struggle, There Is No Victory

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mastover, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Trained legs this morning at Powerhouse Gym, Bronx NY.

This is a great place to train. You are basically training with ex-convicts, UFC and MMA fighters, and juicers both in powerlifting and bodybuilding. We all have a mutual respect for one another, and although most of these guys have a different agenda, we support each other and always offer a spot and encouragement when needed. I went heavy on leg presses and needed a double spot with no objections.

Barbell RDL's 3 warms of 10,6,3 reps
    3x275x6,6,4 reps

Leg Press: 2 warms
    3x6 plates each side (540 lbs.) for 8,6,4 reps drop to 3 plates each side for 15 reps to failure.

Walking DB Lunges:
    2x50 lb. bells in each hand for 15,13 reps

Seated Leg Curls Bent forward at the waist
    3x9,6,6 reps

Hamstrings are white twitch fibers and respond to low reps.

Diet for yesterday, March 4th:
    PRO - 202 grams
    CHO - 255 grams
    FAT - 103 grams

Supps: 5 grams creatine mono, 3 grams d-aspartic acid, 5 fish oil caps, Beverly Super Pack, 16 Muscle Synergy tabs.

Weight prior to workout was 150.6 lbs.

Diet will be maintenance calories, until next Monday when I will embark on a lean gain phase for 10 weeks with the goal of 5-7 pounds of muscle while dropping body fat. Yes, this is achievable, and has always been what I've been able to accomplish for all my major shows. And, actually, anyone can do this if the individual has the obsession to be different, and take their training to an other level. The passion and desire must be over the top. I have been always been able to cultivate this mind set. These next ten weeks will be no different... It's time to rock & roll.

2. skippy

skippy Member

Crazy leg press poundage! Good work. I like how you train.

The gym sounds really cool. Congrats on winning that natural show.

3. mastover

Thanks, and thanks for visiting my journal, skip! :)

I had some hand and leg cramps this morning and thought about staying in bed, but jumped out of bed and got ready to hit the gym. I was actually in there at 4:30 AM. Walked the 15 minutes to Dolphin Fitness and crushed a back workout.

Reverse Grip Chins: 1 warm with bodyweight
    3x45x5,5,5

Behind the back BB Shrugs: 2 warms of 5,5 reps
    3x265x10,8,8 reps

DB Kroc Rows: used wrist straps on these
    1x105x22 reps

The Kroc rows had me on the verge of puking, but MAN.. what a lat pump! These were full range with the "lawn mower starter" stretch at the bottom.

My weight this morning was .2 pounds less than yesterdays even though I took in around 2800 calories. But I "looked" bigger. Endurance has been good. I've been walking to my gyms at a brisk pace. The walks are about 15 - 30 minutes (depending on which gym) and I'm breathing normally through my nose the entire time. I am also using a new test booster that I used during the height of my competitive career, called Diesel Test by Get Diesel Nutrition. This stuff has never disappointed. I feel as if I'm on top of the world. Better mood, less depression, stronger, leaner, better sleep, and improved mental outlook. On top of increased libido. Good stuff.

I had an old bodybuilding coach, George Turner, who was in his 70's. He had some very unorthodox pre contest ideas which were brilliant. One of them was to intentionally overtrain for 9 consecutive days, then take the final 12 days OFF completely from training prior to a show. Twelve days with NO TRAINING. This allowed the nutrition to dial in your body. Worked like a charm. I won many shows with his approach. But one thing I always remember him advising was to train each day in the gym as if it was your last day you would ever train in your life. To train with a sense of urgency and desperation. Thanks, George. :tu:

4. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Aram you never fail to amaze me with your less is more approach.

Hamstring curls are the most painful workout for me at the gym. I like to push these and as I'm sure you're aware, pushing them makes your hamstrings scream like there is no tomorrow. I'll often come off the hamstring machine wanting to puke and limping. Good stuff.

Your behind the back shrugs are obscene!!

Your intensity I am sure beats mine, I can do 8 or 9 exercises at 4 sets per exercise x 10 reps, and you'll probably get better results. BUT, it's each to their own and I'm seeing my own progress.

5. mastover

Weighed in at 151.2 pounds this morning and took a brisk 30 minute walk to Bronx House Gym.

Weighted Dips: 1 warm of 10 reps with 25 lb. plate
    1x80x8
    1x70x8
    1x60x8
    1x25x20

Incline DB Fly:
    4x50x8,8,8,8

Seated DB Laterals: 20 second rest between sets
    8x25x8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8

Reverse Close Grip BP on Smith Machine: 1 warm
    4x140x6,6,6,6

Pre, Intra, Post: 25 Mass Amino tabs, 14 ounces apple juice diluted with 4 ounces water

Diet for yesterday, March 8th:
    PRO - 187 grams
    CHO - 255 grams
    FAT - 93 grams

Supps: creatine monohydrate, Multi, fish oil, 5 Diesel Test tabs natural test booster.

I love doing weighted dips. Been doing them for 25+ years. It's my main chest movement. Around 20 years ago I was at my biggest and strongest. Although I weighed about 177 pounds, I was squatting 435 for reps, and doing dips with two 100 lb. plates strapped around me arse for 5-6 reps. I was also able to sustain my high protein intake with no protein shakes. Yes, it can be done, but keep in mind I was eating 2 1/2 pounds of chicken a day along with 25 egg whites. Plus all the protein I was getting in my oatmeal and potatoes and peanut butter. At one point I was eating 4 pounds of sweet potatoes a day. I seriously doubt I have the capacity to eat the way I used to, but BOY... it sure would be fun trying. :cool:

6. JROD00

JROD00 Well-Known Member

Aram,
    I love doing dips, I've used weighted dips for the past 5 or so years pretty sure I picked it up from following your posts.

People will ask me what I bench and I'd say I don't' bench anymore but can do weighted dips with 2 45LBS plates for reps and they will just look at me funny :lol:

7. mastover

Hey J man! How you doing dude?? :)

Yeah I feel your pain. I once had a senior woman go up to the front desk at the gym and ask the owner if I was a circus trapeze artist because she saw me doing weighted dips and weighted chins. LOL :tucool:

8. mastover

Today was a nice day. Spring is just around the corner. I worked on my Harley for about 2 hours and pretty soon I'll be riding again. I am hoping for a ride up to Burlington Vermont this summer. It's beautiful up there. A special retreat of mine for the past 25 years when I want to escape from everything.

I'm trying something new to add more mass to my bones. Three grams HMB around training, along with my normal 3 grams at lunch time. Six grams total. I'm also taking in 3 tablespoons honey mixed in my workout shake with 1 gr. Citrulline malate.

Stay tuned... :cool:

9. mastover

I decided to head to the gym this morning and train arms. I have a goal by end of summer for 17"guns. All natural, on a 160 pound frame. I'm not training arms heavy because I'm using about 4-5 warm up sets prior to my main work sets to avoid injury. A torn bicep at this point in my career can be real bad news. I am also aggressively supplementing during my arm workouts. Protein is also high. One thing with high protein intake - you will notice almost no muscle soreness if the rest of your diet has sufficient calories.

Trained 5AM at Powerhouse Gym, Bronx NY:

BB Curls: 4 warms of 15,12,8,8 reps
    4x70x10,8,8,7

Incline DB Curls: thumb side of hand against plate
    3x30x10,8,6 squeezing at top

EZ Bar Cable Curls:
    1x15, drop to 11 reps to failure

V Bar Pushdowns Bent from the waist: 3 warms of 15,12, 8 reps
    3x3/4 stack for 10,8,6 reps

DB Skullz on decline bench:
    3x30x12,10,10 - drop to 20 for 19 reps to failure

My arms were numb. They felt like helium balloons. I was drinking a whey/juice drink with HMB and 3 tablespoons honey.

My diet has been high in carbs today to facilitate recovery. In another 2 hours I'm have 8 ounces sirloin steak, mushrooms, and a good sized plain sweet potato skin and all. :eat:

10. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I notice in some of your journals, you have pretty high carb numbers on some days.

If you were to do a show or contest these days, do you still have to drop carbs down a bit to get dialed in at competition weight ? Or is your metabolism so jacked from the years of training and dieting, that you can keep carbs as high/higher than protein, and still hit like 4-6% bf?

11. mastover

Thanks for the good question, Charles.

I usually keep carbs high and protein high at around 8 weeks out from a show. At around 2 weeks out I drop carbs to anywhere from 100-150 grams per day, but keep protein in the 225 - 250 gram range. Fats are constant at about 40 - 50 grams.

For my last show, in which I won the OCB New Hampshire overall, I did no cardio, and averaged about 2200 calories a day the final 2 1/2 weeks. Water was about 1 1/2 gallons per day. Sodium was high except for the day prior to the show where it was zero sodium. Fibrous carbs and egg whites were eliminated three days out.

My BF was measured at 3.77% three days out on a nine site caliper. After the show I became very sick and had nerve problems and other issues that lasted about four weeks. I was 51 years old at this show and doubt i can sustain another contest due to how much passion and effort I put into it. It takes a lot out of you. Almost everything...But I have no regrets. I have competed for over 25 years in about 95 shows with 4 pro natural cards. You have to pay the price to be a champion.

I think it's time for a vacation. :)

12. mastover

Yesterday I went to a local Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood that has great food. They have this Mexican Salmon that's outta this world which comes with genuine sweet potato fries. I sat at the bar so that I could look at the big screen TV's and some of the NCAA College hoops tourney. I ordered my food and a diet ginger ale and watched the game. This place also has craft beer. A guy sitting next to me at the bar ordered this blueberry lager beer they had on special... A blueberry beer. When the bartender placed the beer on the bar, I smelled something awful. Immediately, I recalled the time when my girlfriend told me that she once got sick on her brother's homemade blueberry wine. Now, I can't remember if she said she actually drank it or she just caught whiffs of it. Can't remember. However, I started thinking of how her pretty face twisted in disgust as she relayed the story to me. What I smelled was blueberry cough medicine, alcohol infused. And then a guy sat down to my left and ordered a Heineken. I started smelling that skunky, roadkill aroma green bottled beers are famous for. Now I was REALLY starting to feel nauseas. There were a couple of ladies seated across from me and the bartender told me that one of them ordered a drink for me. He brought over a pint of this disgusting blueberry beer!! And as I looked across at the ladies, one of them winked at me. As I looked at them, I realized their heads were a bit too big. After about a minute, I realized they were guys! Tranny's. Yep, chix with dix. I caught another whiff of the blueberry beer, thought back to my girlfriends story about her getting sick, and with that thought in mind, I asked for a doggy bag and quickly left the restaurant. The tranny's said something as I was leaving which I gathered to be insulting, but I really didn't care. I gasped for breath outside, and walked as quickly as possible the 6 blocks back to my place, cognizant not to attract the attention of the cops.

On a brighter note, out of sheer boredom I got a job as a food server at a local nursing home. It's a temporary position and I work 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. I vowed that I would never work for anyone else once I retired early from my previous job, but this gig is actually pretty cool and I am providing a needed service. I like it a lot. The only negative about it is that they have me wear a little french maid outfit with an apron and little white hat. And white stockings. But I absolutely refuse to wear the high heels. I told them that if I was disallowed from wearing my motor cycle boots, I would not take the job. So, at least they allowed me that privilege. :D

13. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

I've had one of those blue-berry beers before. They're pretty gross, really sweet and the one I had tasted like blueberry muffins.. which is something i'd rather stay out of my beer.

14. JROD00

JROD00 Well-Known Member

Doing good bubby, just celebrated a birthday...Catching up to you :lol:

Keep up the good fight my friend !

15. mastover

Hmmmm.... looks like I've missed some updates. I'm still training. In fact, I am enjoying all my training sessions. When you see results and progress from week to week, this is exciting stuff for me. And for my clients. As of late, my weight has been slowly creeping up with no gains in body fat. I have been doing something different diet-wise the last three weeks. I am going moderate to low carbs, but have increased my protein to 2 grams per pound of body weight and my fats have averaged around 150 grams per day. When I say moderate carbs, I'm still taking in around 125 grams a day mostly coming from oatmeal, fruit, and veggies. A very different tactic I've taken to is to almost eliminate my lean meat consumption, but I'm taking in about 18 whole eggs a day.

I went for my physical recently and what they found that my total cholesterol dropped from 260 to 230, and my testosterone levels actually increased over my levels from three years ago. I can only attribute this to my training, zero alcohol, no smokes, and healthy fats/high protein. I also religiously take 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day.

I think another factor may be my new approach to leg training facilitating more GH release. I've gone from doing sets of 20 reps on leg presses to doing sets of 30 reps with the same weight. Not only has my oxygen capacity and endurance increased, but my overall energy and sleep has increased as well.

Yesterday I trained Back and Delts and here's where it's at:
    Weighed in at 157 pounds.

Weighted Reverse Grip Chins with 6 second negatives:
    3x35x5,4,4 (best lat developer I've ever come across. The next day and two days later my lats are sore as all get out)

DB Kroc Rows: 1 warm (rest/pause style) 10 breaths between pauses
    1x100x18, 6,5,4

Hammer Strength One Arm Rows:
    3x4 plates each side for 6,5,4 reps (holding the contraction for 1-2 count)

Snatch Grip Rack Pulls: from mid shin:
    2x275x6,6

Gironda DB Laterals:
    4x30x10,10,10,10 (30 sec. between sets)

Afterwards, I strapped 2-45 pound plates around my waist and with straps, hung on a bar with a close reverse grip for about 60 seconds until I couldn't take the pain anymore.

Yesterday's Diet was this:
    Meal 1: 8 whole eggs, one slice lactose free provolone, 2 tbls salsa
    Meal 2: One can tuna, 2 whole eggs, 12 ounce sweet potato, 1 tbls Xtra virgin olive oil.
    Meal 3: 4 whole eggs, 2 scoops Beverly's Rocky Road UMP, 4 tbls. heavy cream
    Meal 4: 8 whole eggs, 1/3 cup oatmeal, 2 tbls. Natty PB, 1 apple

Supplements:
    5 grams creatine Monohydrate
    6 Ultra 40 Liver pills with each meal
    4 Mass Amino Tabs with each meal
    6 fish oil caps
    2 grams l-carnitine tartrate (2 - 1 gr doses)
    4 Diesel Test Natural Test Booster tabs, pre and post workout
    Beverly Super Pack
    5,000 IU's natural vitamin D

I feel like a beast, even if I'm only 157 pounds. :evil:

Tomorrow is a rest day, and if Johnny Reef's on City Island is open on Easter day, I am due for a cheat meal after being a good boy for a long time with my nutrition. :nod:

16. mastover

My legs have been twitching uncontrollably. Its been painful. I am sorry to say that I've been on prescription pain killers. After training, the pain is very severe. I am also suffering from numbness on the left side. This can be dangerous when riding your Harley, but less harmful when driving a car. My feet, especially, are suffering with cramps and pain.

I walked to Bronx House this morning and had a great workout. For the first time ever, I had to call a cab to take me back home afterwords. But I was very happy with my workout. Today I will sleep, along with food. :)

BB Rows: 2 warms
    4x225x10,8,8,7

Incline DB Curls:
    2x30x10,8

Straight Bar Cable Curls: 1 set bomb (no rest between sets)
    90x8
    70x6
    50x8
    30x22

Weighted Tricep Dips: 1warm of 8 reps w/bodyweight
    3x90x5,5,5

CG Reverse Grip Bench: 1 warm of 9 reps
    3x180x5,4,3 reps