1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Without Struggle, There Is No Victory

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mastover, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's fantastic news about your cats!

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. My cats were actually very close by, hiding under a porch down the street. They just came to me when I called to them. Unbelievable. George, that's what I thought. Hitting the lotto. :tu:

My last training routine was Total Body 3x per week. I got strong very quickly with a low volume approach and eating over baseline. Put on some good body weight. My new routine is quite different. By the way... I always encourage TB training for the general population. The body recovers not muscle by muscle, but systemically via the CNS. The CNS must recover before individual muscle groups. For my new 8 week routine I am going volume, 4x per week, changing things up every week or two with exercise selection, reps, sets, protocols (i.e supersets, jump sets, extended sets, etc.)

What I expect is moderate strength gains, but adding muscle with minimal adiposity. In fact, I expect about 5 pounds of muscle with perhaps a pound or less of fat. Cardio will not be performed. The training will take care of the aerobic aspect. My last 3x per week TB routine gave me a lot of muscle, but about the same in fat gains. That's perfectly fine. It's going to give me a good strength base for this new training.

Here's how it will look:
    Tuesday: Back, Calves (Back 12-15 sets, Calves 3-4 sets)
    Wednesday: Chest, Delts (Chest 9-12 sets, Delts 4 sets)
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Quads, Hams, Calves (Quads 8-9 sets, Hams 4-6 sets, Calves 3-4 sets)
    Saturday: Bi's, Tri's (7-9 sets for each, might superset or do jump sets)
    Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Rest

Exercises:
    Back: BB Rows, DB Rows, Snatch Grip DL, Weighted Chins, Cable Rows, Pulldowns

Calves: Leg Press Toe Raises, Seated Calf Raise

Chest: Weighted Dips, Flat Smith Machine Press, Cybex Chest Press Machine.

Delts: DB Lateral Raises, Bent Rear Delt Raises

Quads: Leg Press, Leg Extensions, DB Bulgarian Split Squats.

Hams: DB RDL's, Seated Leg Curls, High Angle Leg Presses.

Biceps: DB Curls, BB Curls, DB Hammer Curls, Incline DB Hammer Curls

Triceps: DB Skullz, Cable Pushdowns using many attachments, rope, straight bar, reverse straight bar, T Bar, Wide Hammer attachment

Reps:
    Back: 6-15
    Chest: 8-12
    Delts: 12-20
    Quads: 8-25
    Hams: 5-10
    Calves: 10-15
    Biceps: 6-15
    Triceps: 8-15

Should be fun. Starting this tomorrow. Diet will be a lot of food, everything clean. Lean meats, veggies, oatmeal, Beverly Protein Powders, whole eggs, potatoes of different varieties, fresh and dried fruit, nuts and seeds, and water will be the only beverage. Supplements will be dessicated liver, fish oil, creatine monohydrate, d-aspartic acid, Beverly Super Pack, 5,000 IU's D3 per day.

3. mastover

Since I last posted here in my journal, everything has been going like clockwork. Great workouts, diet on point to a fault, and I even have my sights on a new bike. With the high volume training, my body weight has remained the same, but my body fat has dropped a full percent along with a 1/2" reduction in my waist size. However, the legs in my pants are getting tighter. Time for some new carpenter jeans with the loose fit.

I trained legs yesterday and here is what I did:
    DB Step Ups: 4x20,16,12,10
    Seated Leg Curls with forward lean: 4x15,12,10,6
    Leg Presses: 5x12,10,8,6,4,15 (top end set with 6 plates each side)
    Horizontal Seated Sing Leg Press with full stop: 3x15,12,10
    Single Leg Leg Extensions: 3x12,12,12

Thanksgiving is just another day for me. Diet was 5 meals consisting of eggs, tuna, broccoli, oatmeal, olive oil, protein shakes, fruit, almonds, pumpkin seeds, stone ground bread.

This is the time of year where people try to tempt me with alcohol and poor food choices. This is also the time of year where the resolve towards my ideals are strengthened. I do not succumb to the temptation. There is no weakness. Next year will mark 30 years of sobriety. It's a day I plan on seeing.

With all that said, I might have to hit IHOP today after my arm workout. I'm hoping for some big arms for next year. Big Steak Omelette and buttermilk pancakes seem to be on the cheat meal menu today. :tucool:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad the past couple of weeks have been treating you well; after what you went through you certainly deserve it.

Also, I have no doubt that you'll be celebrating your 30th year of sobriety when the day rolls around. :tucool:

5. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I'll second what Paul said.

6. mastover

Usually, when catastrophe strikes, I rebound with a vengeance. In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy I was hit quite hard with loss of material possessions. Couple that with no insurance and I got slammed. Lived in my car for three days, too. When things quiet down a bit, I find that I am left with a choice.... I can feel sorry for myself and rely on others for assistance, or I can sacrifice myself further and help whomever I can. One thing remains constant.... The mindset towards training gets a big kick in the ass. I am rejuvenated to not only hit the gym with consistency but to 'bring it" with renewed fervor. My training since the hurricane has been some of the most satisfyingly intense sessions that I can remember. I've been doing higher volume and this has shocked my body into new growth.
    Leg training has kept me sore for days. Not only my wheels, but my upper body as well. It's also very rare that I give arms their own day. Very rare. Not even when I used to compete. During the last four weeks, I've put on about a 1/2 inch on my arms. During these past four weeks I've also gained about 5 lbs. with a reduction in waist size. Now I know my recent success will ultimately hit the "wall", but this is how it all works. Today I trained arms using a technique called "Racing The Pump". The theory here is to continue doing sets until you do not feel the pump anymore. For biceps, it took 12 sets today. For tri's, it took only eight.

EZ Bar Curls: 4x12,10,6,6
    Incline DB Crippled Curls: 3x10,8,6
    Straight Bar Preacher Curls: 3x8,6,6
    BB Curls: 2x10,6

Decline Bench DB Skullcrushers: 3x12,9,6
    V Bar Pushdowns: (elbows out, leaning in) 2x9,6
    Kneeling Overhead Rope Extensions: 3x14,10, 8

I was done! My arms were numb. Can't wait to do arms again next week!

Diet has been perfect since I found my kitties again. I thought I had lost them forever, and wasn't eating. And when I did eat, it was crap like White Castle or Chinese takeout. Eating clean and getting all my macro's in, along with killing it in the gym, helps get your head and body where it should be - A giant step ahead of however many curve balls life dares to throw at you.

7. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Good to hear that you're human! That's awesome about the progress you're making and thanks for sharing. Still taking the same supps as before?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. mastover

My supplements are Beverly FitTabs (multi vitamin) and 4 grams creatine monohydrate, 3 grams HMB, along with fish oil.

Recently I feel as if I've been reborn. My training has been full of intensity and joy. Looking back to my training journals of twenty years past, I am rivaling weights I used back then. I can't squat anymore, but my back exercises have been heavy and I am enjoying myself in the gym once again.

Yesterday I did chest and delts incorporating some Vince Gironda stuff.

Pre exhaust with 4 sets of pec deck for 12 reps, then went right into weighted Gironda Dips for 4 sets of 8 reps with a 55 pound DB. Boy, were these hard! I then went to 8 sets of 8 reps with decline DB presses for the upper chest...yes.... declines for the upper chest :nod: ....
    with 60 pound DB's with a 30 second rest between sets. These were very hard! I finished with low DB crossovers on my knees to prevent cheating for 3 sets of 10 reps. My chest was fried. Finally, I did 8 sets of 8 reps with seated DB Laterals using 30 pound DB's and resting 30 seconds between sets.

Diet for the day was:
    PRO - 197 grams
    CHO - 275 grams
    FAT - 101 grams

Today my chest is sore from top to bottom and I also went up another pound in body weight. Next week I'll be training at my old digs upstate at Healthplex Gym. I trained there for about 80% of my shows. Great gym and atmosphere. They still have my pics and articles on their wall. Can't wait. :tucool:

9. mastover

I went to the gym this morning to do some back training. I loaded the bar with 2-45's for my first warmup set of barbell rows, stepped back, bent over, and instead of 135 pounds, the weights felt like 535 pounds. I placed the bar back on the pins and sat down on the bench. The recent event at Newtown CT has really disturbed me. Tears started falling down my cheeks, and I went home. I really don't know why it has impacted me like this. It's probably due to the fact that innocent little kids were murdered along with their teachers. I mean these kids were babies! Like i said, it's really been a heavy burden on my mind, I just cannot fathom what the parents are going thru. And I don't have anybody that I can discuss this with. I'll have to somehow find some peace and rational behind what happened. If there is such a thing.

10. mastover

Christmas Day Workout

Just got back from the gym.

Trap Bar Dead Lifts: 4x315x10
    Weighted Chins: 4x25x8
    BB Rows: 4x205x8
    Weighted Dips: 4x90x6
    Incline DB Fly's: 3x55x10
    Skullcrushers w/cambered bar: 3x85x6

I'm staying indoors today with my kitties, birds, and turtles and will eat eggs, egg whites, my chicken recipe from the recipe forum, peanut butter, cauliflower and broccoli combo, and will watch some Pro hoops all day. Celtics/Nets, Knicks/Lakers, Heat/OK City while sipping on a delish Beverly protein shake.

Merry Christmas everyone. :cool:

11. mastover

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger". This year past was tough... the hurricane which made me lose my place of residence and almost all material possessions, forcing me to live in my car for three days. My bus accident, where I was a passenger in a city bus that put me in the hospital for a week, and a few other less than fortunate mishaps that challenged me on levels I've never experienced before and made me contemplate whether I should pack things in and take my first drink of alcohol in 29+ years that would inevitably kill me in short time.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger" Yet I woke up each day and went to the gym. Ate clean. Wrote in my training and nutrition journals daily. In times of severe doubt I went to the gym, even though I wanted to stay asleep. Even though this is a new year, I will be faced with similar or different challenges. I remember back when I was being treated for stomach cancer almost 30 years ago. After my treatments I would go right to the gym. I'd puke half way through the workout, and puke again when I came home. But in another year I won my first natural pro card as a bodybuilder.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger". I'm on a new 9 week training routine. Someone has already coaxed me to drink alcohol at a restaurant. I am still settling down in my new existence. I have goals that I will reach, and exceed for 2013. I had a great workout today, and an even better one yesterday (legs) using poundages that rivaled my numbers from 15 years past.

Yeah.... it's going to be a fun year filled with drama, fears, setbacks.

And triumph. :tu:

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wishing you a less drama filled 2013. Your dedication is truly admirable. :tu:

13. mastover

My new routine which I've chronicled upstairs (9 week routine) is going to be started on Feb. 1st.

Goals?? Reverse the aging process, leaner, bigger, and more aerobically conditioned. I want ropes running up and down my forearms. I want veins on my abs and feathered quads. With a caloric intake higher than my baseline. At the age of 54. Diet is going to be clean but I will allow myself a cheat meal 1-2X per week at my local diner for breakfast consisting of eggs, toast, sausage/bacon, home fries, and fruit.

This month I've been having some great fun training. Here is what I did today:

Gironda Dips: 3x35x12,12,10 drop to bodyweight for 25 reps to failure
    Decline Smith Machine Press: 2x140x12,10
    Incline DB Fly's: 3x5512,10,8
    Braced DB Laterals: 4x30x10
    Decline Bench DB Skullz: 4x35x8,6,5,4

Diet for yesterday, Jan. 10th:
    PRO - 188 grams
    CHO - 287 grams
    FAT - 82 grams

Supplements:
    4 grams creatine monohydrate
    6 fish oil caps with first meal
    Beverly Super Pack with first meal
    3 grams HMB divided over 3 meals
    3 grams d-aspartic acid with post workout meal

I can't wait for February! It's time to enter the time tunnel and turn back the hands of time! :tu:

14. mastover

It was a hellacious leg workout this morning where I opted to pre-exhaust my quads and hams before tackling on some krazee leg presses. With my particular body type, as long as I train insane, I can eat just about anything and remain lean. This morning prior to the workout, I weighed 154 lbs. People swear that I look 25 pounds heavier. Especially when I used to compete. I always competed in the lightweight class, yet when I would be in the posedown for the overall with the light heavies and heavies, I would make them appear to be my size, or smaller. This is what low body fat with optimal muscle retention can do. Again, today, someone in the gym commented that I look 175. The more BF you carry, the less dimensional you appear. I spoke to this young fella before my workout and he inspired me to go balls to the walls, especially when he said that if I use steroids I'll be a better bodybuilder. I told him, "You are a fool". And moved on...

Leg Extensions: 3 drop sets of 12 and 15 reps
    Seated Leg Curls (bent forward): 3 drop sets of 6 and 9 reps
    Leg Presses: 4 sets of 20, 15, 8, 4 into a drop of 29 reps to failure
    DB Squats: 3 sets of 8 reps holding 90 lb. 'bells
    Standing Calf Raise: set bomb (one continuous drop)
    for 10, 8,8,5,12 reps to failure
    Walking DB Lunge: one set of 18 steps each leg holding a 35 lb. bell in each hand.

15. mastover

Trained Delts, Bi's, and Tri's at 5AM Powerhouse Gym, Bronx NY.

After this workout, when I came home, I could barely lift my arm to flip on the light switch. They were swole! :flex:

Incline DB Curls: 3x35x10,8,5
    EZ Bar Drag Curls: 3x85x12,12,10
    Hammer Cable Curls with rope attachment: 3x20,15,12

Reverse Close Grip Bench on Smith Machine: 3x140x10,8,6
    Decline Bench DB Skullcrushers: 3x30x12,12,12
    Wide Hammer Bar Pushdowns: 3x12,9,7

Braced DB Laterals: 3x30x12,10,10
    Reverse Peck Deck: 3x15,12,10

Total time: 42 minutes

Weighed in at 154.2 pounds
    actual appearance - 205 pounds ;) (well, in all reality, one of the MMA fighters asked me what I currently weighed, he guessed 180 :cool: )

Diet for Yesterday, Jan. 15th:
    PRO - 196 grams
    CHO - 244 grams
    FAT - 92 grams

Supp: Beverly FitTab Multi, 4 grams creatine monohydrate, fish oil, 3 grams d-aspartic acid, 2 grams carnitine tartrate

Two weeks to go until my new routine.

16. mastover

Trained this morning at Bronx House Gym, Bronx NY

Snatch Grip Rack Pulls w/duck stance from mid shin
    4x295x5,5,5,5 (these were very hard, rested 4-5 minutes between sets)

Weighted Reverse Grip Chins
    3x55x5,5,5

One Arm DB Rows
    3x120x10,10,10

Pre, Intra, Post workout: 44 grams whey isolate mixed in 12 ounces apple juice diluted with 8 ounces water.

Nutrition for yesterday, January 18th:
    PRO - 196 grams
    CHO - 274 grams
    FAT - 85 grams

Supplements: fish oil, Beverly Super Pack with first meal, 4 grams creatine monohydrate, 3 grams d-aspartic acid, 2 grams divided in two doses of l-carnitine tartrate.

On another encouraging note, I got banned from another bodybuilding message board geared for the enhanced lifter. I made no disparaging remarks or posts concerning steroids and for those that use, but I guess they caught wind of the fact that I am natural, and a card carrying pro bodybuilder, and that was enough to stir some controversy and negativity with them to ban me. Oh well.... makes me more comfortable with my stature and ideals. :tucool:

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done. :)

18. mastover

Two MMA fighters who Train at Dolphin Fitness asked me what motivates me to train, while I was in the locker room changing to go home. Maybe it's me being overly sensitive regarding my graying hair and age, but I took some umbrage with their question and responded... "What motivates me is FEAR. Fear of getting older and suffering the maladies of old age. Fear of looking like everyone else. Fear of not being stronger and stronger. Fear of losing my sex drive. Fear of losing my passion for living. Fear of going back to drinking and drugs. Fear of not feeling like I'm 34, instead of 54. Fear is my motivation, fellas". They smiled, we shook hands, and went our separate ways.

Trained Chest, Delts beforehand:
    Weighted Dips: 3 warms, then did 5 sets of 8 reps with a 75# dumbbell
    Incline DB Fly's: 1 warm, then did 4 sets of 10 reps with 40# 'bells

DB Front Raises: 3x30x10
    Bent DB Laterals: 3x30x10

Diet was carb heavy yesterday in anticipation to the dips today:
    PRO - 185 grams
    CHO - 314 grams
    FAT - 66 grams

Supps: 4 gr Creatine mono, 6 fish oil, Super Pack multi, 3 gr D-aspartic acid, 2 gr l-carnitine tartrate

19. mastover

I've been under a lot of duress with my mother's health situation, but I took it out on the iron this morning at Bronx House Gym. Every day is getting worse and worse. Deterioration comes quick once you hit a certain age. Trained legs and probably over did it, but I had to work out my frustrations and vent my anger. I've been eating like a horse since my 7AM workout:

Hip Belt Squats: 2 warms
    3x95x6,6,6

Leg Press: 3 sec negatives 3 warms
    3x4plates each side for 12,12,12 reps

Hack Squats: 1 warm
    3x3 plates each side for 6,5,5 reps

RDL's: 2 warms
    4x275x5,5,5,5

Seated Calf Raise: 2 warms
    3x135x15,13,11

Standing Calf Raise:
    3x10,10,8

Man, those hip belt squats are brutal and old school. But, boy... do they work. I was standing with each leg on a flat bench, and this is one of those rare leg exercises that allow you to go lower than your heels. Insane pump, and very hard. I gotta do these more often. The RDL's really challenged me. I had to concentrate hard on these. I went to Ann Claire deli up the street for a plate of 3 whole eggs, bacon, home fries, toast, swiss cheese, and two bananas. About an hour ago I had 1 big bowl of oatmeal ( a big bowl), strawberries, a scoop of protein powder, 6 egg whites, and 5 ounces chicken breast. For tonight I'm looking at Pizza Hut. I'm taking the next two days off from training. I've been training legs once every ten days, and they have responded with good size.

20. CharlesDance

CharlesDance Member

Aram, I've always wondered how you count the things you eat at these mom and pop restaurants, or any sort of "non-chain" eating place that won't list their nutrition on a website or menu.. Do you just kind of eye-ball the portions and go off calorie king for whatever's on your plate?