1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Without Struggle, There Is No Victory

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mastover, Dec 13, 2011.

1. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

Great to see you back and training.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Thanks, George! It feels great to be able to train again, let me tell you!

I've regained most of my weight since my release from the hospital. These damn headaches keep recurring and they are a nuisance in that they crop up at the most inopportune moments, like today's gym session. But I powered through a good workout that included snatch grip rack pulls standing on a 100# plate, 5 sets of weighted chinups, seated shrugs, weighted dips, and single leg leg presses supered with seated leg curls. I am hoping this boot can come off my foot soon so that I can participate in the annual 5k turkey trot next month. I want to beat my time from last year which was just under 28 minutes. I never train for these runs, and have no strategy when I run. I just haul ass. LOL.

This afternoon i go to the doc's for a follow up with the concussion tests. They told me there's a chance that a lot can go wrong later on on life with concussions, and I am all too familiar with this possibility, just look at some pro football players who committed suicide, or Jim McMahon who is really "out there". I'm not concerned. I'll accept anything that comes my way and will find a way to defeat any consequence. I've always done so in the past. This challenge will be no different.

I once heard a long time back, that all competitive bodybuilders have been (at one point or another) psychologically traumatized. :lol: I agree with this. :o Bouncing back from this sort of adversity sustains a quiet aire of confidence in someone. I'll follow the doc's orders on this one, but I am sure that I'll be back 100% in no time. Heck, I'm 99% right now. :cool:

3. mastover

I'm back to where I almost was before my bus accident, except for my heel. The headaches have been manageable to the point of being only a nuisance. Analogous to a hemorrhoid that is always there but you don't notice anymore. You deal with it but it doesn't bother you anymore. Workouts this week were very good. My weight is back up to 151 lbs. Diet is now clean and I've been doing a few things differently.

1) I've been using Beverly's dessicated liver tabs during my workouts.
    2) Training full body 3x per week without squatting.
    3) Keeping fat macro's to around 115 grams per day.

I've been using BI's Ultra 40 liver tabs for about 20 years now, on and off. I typically take them with meals. Now, I've been taking 18 tabs during my training. Thirty six grams of just about the most potent amino acid array one can consume. My energy levels have been crazy. Where I once hit the wall half way thru the workout, I am now powering through with energy to spare. I also appear more cut and vascular. When I do the 5K turkey trot next month I'm going to load up on the liver tabs the night before and the morning of. I'm hoping to beat my PR time and finish in the top of my age class. Pretty haughty goals for someone who doesn't run, but I'm going for it. Yogi once said that baseball is "90% half mental" :) This holds true for athletics of all kinds. The neural aspect cannot be denied. Most times the people who are a cut above have that mental power to succeed where most cannot cultivate that special neural prowess.

Training full body is extremely exhausting to the CNS, therefore four days of compete rest is optimal for muscle recovery. Along with the liver tabs and increase in olive oil and whole eggs, my T levels are above average according to recent blood analysis and my vitamin D levels are also excellent.

I gotta admit, this accident beat the shit out of me and I still have recurring issues I just can't seem to shake, but I am positive that weight training and stellar nutrition not only helped save me from more serious complications, but is also accelerating my recovery.

Time to head to the gym!! :tucool:

One more week and I throw away the crutches! :)

Just in time to put my bike away for the winter. :(

4. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

I know the accident took a toll on you, but lets be honest here...you probably did more damage to the bus than it did to you. :D

I'm glad to hear you are recovering. :tu:

5. mastover

Ha.... Good point. :D

Docs told me not to exercise for 4-6 weeks. :confused: :rolleyes:

Heading to the gym now. On the menu: Snatch Grip Rack Pulls, Leg Presses, Weighted Dips, Barbell Curls, Kettle Bell Swings.

It's time to train. :tu:

Just came back, Some highlights of the workout were dips with 2-45# plates for 8 reps, snatch grip deadlifts standing on a 100# plate for 4 sets of 6 with 315 lbs., BB Curls with 95 lbs. for 8 reps. Took 22 U40 Liver tabs during training while sipping on coconut water. Hurts when I breathe. Chest is not healed properly but that will come with time and patience. There's a new PT at this gym and he looks like a mini version of Mr. T sans the jewelry. Mohawk and all. He's got a constant scowl on his face like Mr T had as well. After my dips he came over to me and asked, "How old are you man?" Again, with a scowl. This was his introduction to me I guess, since we had never spoken previously. I said, "I'll be 27 years old this October 19th. How old are you man?" All he did was mumble some uh huh's, looked me up and down, then went back to his client. With my heel boot, crutches, and ice pack, and 5 days growth of grey on my mug, he probably thought I escaped from the geriatric ward from the cuckoo's nest. Especially since I was wearing a T shirt that said, "Please don't hate me because I'm pretty."

It's always nice to receive compliments. :)

Nutrition for yesterday was perfect:
    PRO - 188 grams
    CHO - 268 grams
    FAT - 110 grams

Supps: Multi vitamin, fish oil, creatine monohydrate, d-aspartic acid

Today's mission is to hit 350 grams of carbs using potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, and the carbs from nuts and pumpkin seeds. Should be fun!

#225 mastover, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. mastover

Sometimes being injured allows you the benefit of trying different methods of exercise execution. This has happened to me in the past, and it happened again this past week. I had some great workouts.

On leg presses, my heel was really bothering me. So I tried something different. I place my feet all the way down on the footplate where my heels were off the plate. In effect, only the balls of my feet were on the footplate. I couldn't use much weight but....WOW did I feel these in my quads!! :eek:

On lat pulldowns, instead of sitting on the seat I sat on the floor. This method prevented me from securing my knees under the pad. Doing them seated on the floor with my legs splayed out put 100% stress on my lats.

Barbell Curls. I've been doing them seated. Puts more emphasis on the contraction. For the first time in quite some time, my biceps are getting sore.

I've been placing a lot of emphasis on leg training. Even with my broken heel. Why?? One of the first places a person loses muscle mass from once they hit 50-60 years of age is the area right above the knees. This is why you see a a lot of people between this age graph go through knee replacement surgeries and other type knee surgeries.

OFF Day Diet was clean yesterday:
    PRO - 180 grams
    CHO - 312 grams
    FAT - 98 grams

Supps: Multi vitamin, fish oil, creatine monohydrate, d-aspartic acid

I've been reading and re reading a lot of Michael Crichton. Right now I'm reading 'Micro'. Damn.... I hope they make a movie outta this one! :nod:

7. mastover

On Friday, October 19th, it was my 54th birthday and I did my yearly Birthday workout. This is comprised of all my favorite exercises and reps mirroring my chronologic age. I couldn't do squats, but everything else was a GO. One set of rest/pause reps until I got 54 reps. Each rest/pause was 10 deep breaths.

Dips: 1x25x21, 10, 8, 6, 6, 3
    Rack Pulls (shin level) :1x275x20,10,9,8,7
    Chinups: 1x bodyweight x 16, 9, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2
    Leg Presses: 1x 3 plates each side x 27, 13, 10, 4
    Barbell Curls: 1x75x14, 8, 6, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1

I was toast! Put a fork in me, I was done! Ready for the table!

Today I did total body training and all my lifts went up. Unfortunately, I'll have to chill with leg workouts for about two weeks to allow some healing with my foot. As an interesting comparison, I had my body fat taken this morning by three different trainers using three different devices. I weighed in at 153.8 lbs. and the first measurement was with an Omron tester and I came out to 3.8% :lol: I've never had faith in these devices and this measurement justified my opinion on them. Second was with a digital device measuring four areas. I came out to 4.4%. Again, not too accurate. The third measurement was taken by my long time body fat guy using a professional quality 9 site hand caliper. I came out to 7.83% (non-age adjusted as with the others) and this, I felt, was very accurate. My next goal is to get to about 162 lbs. at around 8.5% then cut down to 154 at sub 5%. This means it's time to shovel the food down the pie hole for the next 8 weeks. I am also going to change to a 3 day split in two weeks: MON - Chest/Back, WED - Quads, Hamsters, Cows, FRI - Delts and Arms. Cardio will not be performed.

A Happy belated Birthday to my brother John Stone. How ironic we share the same B-Day! :cool:

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Happy birthday Arum.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I go away for a couple of days and you and JS have birthdays? WTF? :lol:

Seriously, a belated happy birthday.

10. mastover

Well, I hate not training legs but that's what I had to eliminate from my TBW yesterday. However, the pain from breathing has really improved. I was waking up nights with a sense of choking to death. At first I attributed this sensation to dreams, but came to the realization that it was for real. After waking up, going back to sleep was difficult. My chest bruise is almost gone. I'm not too sure where I struck my chest in the accident. For all I know it could've been someone's elbow. Bodies were flying all over the place inside the bus. I'm pretty sure I whacked my head on a straphanger pole. It was with such force that not only did I suffer a concussion but both my eyes were black and blue. I looked like Stallone after he went 15 rounds with Apollo Creed. Now my face is back to normal. My sexy, bruised up face is merely a memory, and now I've got the "uglies" going on again with my mug. LOL. Oh well...:dreamy:

Yesterday was a very good workout. I'm back up to 154 pounds. This may not seem like much being that I'm 5'9", but I haven't been 154 pounds since around 3 years ago when I was about 6 weeks out from the New Hampshire. My arms are 15 3/4" flexed and my waist is 28".

Some highlight from yesterday:
    Dips: top end set of 7 reps with 2-45 lb. plates
    DB Shrugs: top end set of 12 reps with 115 lb. bells
    DB One Arm Kroc Rows: 1 top end set of 18 reps with 110 lb. bell

Diet for yesterday, Oct. 23:
    PRO - 202 grams
    CHO - 274 grams
    FAT - 86 grams

I've been taking 6 dessicated liver tabs with a tbls. of olive oil in my middle of the night wakeups, last night I slept straight on thru. The liver tabs have done wonders for strength and energy during my training. An old school supplement for sure, but you can't knock what works and all the BS supplements permeating the industry in today's world are just that... BS.

Rest day today! Good day to catch up on some reading (I am loving the Mr. Monk series :) ) and pubmed research.

11. mastover

Gained another pound today and the waist has not budged (after a total of 8 pounds gained) The diet has been working for me, so I will continue with this basic template:
    Yesterday was:
    Meal #1: 3 whole eggs, 1 cup oatmeal with cinnamon, protein shake, 3 fish oil caps.
    Meal #2: 1 can tuna, 12 ounce red potatoes, protein shake and 2 tbls. olive oil mixed in, 4 grams creatine monohydrate.
    Meal #3: 10 egg whites, 2 tb's natty PB, 1 cup oatmeal with cinnamon.
    Meal #4: 6 ounce lean ground turkey, 1 tbls. mustard, 1 cup broccoli, 8 ounce red potatoes, 1 tbls. butter, 3 fish oil caps, 3 grams d-aspartic acid.
    Meal #5: Big Beverly International protein shake with ground oatmeal and heavy whipping cream.

Anyone see Eddie Murphy's Delirious when he does the ice cream man scit? Gimme a shout if you have.:lol: Meal #5 felt like I stopped the ice cream truck and made my mother buy me the quintessential ice cream treat. It was that good! :drool:

12. mastover

Looks like Frankenstorm is heading our way here in the northeast. I got me and my people covered where I live, but I'm sorta worried about people I used to know upstate. I feel helpless and worried for their sake, but hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted and we can come away relatively unscathed.

Yesterday was another solid TB workout with strength gains across the board. I am hoping the weather holds true and I can get a workout in tomorrow. I am thinking the gym will be open.

Time to stock up on some candles today.

13. george mavridis

Has anyone heard how Aram is holding up after the storm?

14. volpushon

volpushon Active Member

Actually, I just signed up for his services. He has no power and I think his apartment is damaged. But he managed to take care of his clients. He also was a first responder after the storm.

15. mastover

When you come through a hurricane, you become exposed as a human. You become intimate with people who truly care and love you, and then you realize who the phonies and the fakes are. The frauds who had you fooled into thinking they are your friend, but don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.

I had to help evacuate a nursing home when the hurricane hit. Based on the location, I'm pretty sure there would've been fatalities, especially when power lines fell on the building. There's a unique feeling of empowerment when you probably saved people from dying. And then there is a complete sense of bone jarring humility. A true paradox.

I later came back to my place and found it flooded out. No power. I lost my two beautiful cats. I've been searching for them night and day. Lost my bike but who really cares? My power was out for 5 days, then went out again.

Hopefully there's power at the gym. I need to get back to the weight room. It's the only way I can climb out of the hole of losing almost everything. I lived in my car for three days, now I have another place.

I also took care of my clients. Didn't miss a beat. People rely on me for help, and this is an important responsibility . I asked for a little patience with my feedback, but everyone was super cool.

If there's one thing I learned from this crash and burn devastation, it's that we as human beings need interdependence to survive. And no matter how much of a tough guy facade someone puts up front, they are just as vulnerable, insecure, and scared as the next guy. Life is just to fragile when when it's all boiled down to nothingness.

Time to head to the gym today. Then look for my cats again.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry that you had to endure the loss of so much, especially the cats. Hopefully they were able to make it to higher ground to escape the floods and you'll reunite very soon. You mentioned your bike, but not your car. Is it okay?

Lastly, thanks for helping at the nursing home.

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hope you find your cats. Tough year for you. Hope it gets better.

18. mastover

I know a lot of people don't care, and I'm totally fresh with that.... but I found my cats. I just needed somewhere to express my joy, since I don't really have anyone. They are a little scrawny, but I'm taking them to the vet for a checkup tomorrow. I knew, if they were still alive, that I would find them. I was not going to give up. They are safe in my new crib and now I feel completely recovered from the hurricane. :)

Thanks for the thoughts here.... Seltzer, I lost my bike and one of my cars and a lot of other material stuff. Wiped out, basically. No biggie... I'll make out. Hope you fared better than I did. I pray that you did...

19. george mavridis

:claphigh::claphigh::claphigh::claphigh:

That in itself is like winning the lottery, if I lost my cats I would be devastated.

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Great to read that you got your cats back. :tucool: