1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Without Struggle, There Is No Victory

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mastover, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I've decided to run this routine for an extra three weeks. Total body training is a departure from what I normally do, however, I can't recall the time that I ran it for any length of time. I'll have to check my training journals. There will come the time where I will have to deload, possibly around week #8, but the deload is crucial for continued progress. For the delaod week I'll work with 55% of my rep max, then after the deload week, I will use weights I used on week #6 and progress from there. This is true 'progressive resistance'. If I fail to see results, then I will comprise a new routine. Possibly a four day split.

I wanted to go to IHOP today after my workout but instead came home and had egg whites, oatmeal with raisins, and a protein shake.

I am using coconut water as my workout drink. Mixed with 50 grams whey. Coconut water is the King of hydrators. Nothing comes close. Potassium content is off the page, and a healthy amount of magnesium. I've researched it now for about 4 weeks and there is no equal to it. Potassium is critically important. My muscle cramps have substantially subsided. More amazingly, my painful leg twitches have improved.

I was feeling good about everything, then went on my daily walk. The sky was blue, nada a cloud in sight. I looked up into the brightness of the blue color and a pigeon promptly shat on my face. It was such a big turd that some of the splature got into my hair which is quite long nowadays. I took this as a strike of luck. Much like hitting the lotto or getting hit by lightening. Uhh... I think. What sucked was that I had to come home and wash my hair. Cutting down on my walk. :(

All lifts improved today. I gained another 1/2 pound and look more cut. Looking forward to two days of rest, clean eating, and diving into the new AARR from Alan Aragon. I usually re-read all his research numerous times to dissect, divulge, and apply. Alan's the best. I think the real reason I cherish our friendship is that he's a singer in my friend's (Ed Alpanian's) rock band. Eddy is awesome. :tu:

2. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

You could take the bird shit in the eye as "a message from heaven" or just bad luck. Either way it's a one in a million chance so I'd look on it as a good luck sign. Speaking of cocnut water, I've heard quite a bit about it lately regarding it's hydrating qualities, however there was a report on TV recently talking about it and how some labels you can buy are not all what they claim to be. Seems some scrupulous vendors have jumped on the bandwagon and started selling a not so pure version on cocnut water. I suppose it's buyer beware and careful where you buy it from. Another article I read stated that adding sea salt to water gave just as good a hydrating effect as coconut water. What can you believe these days.

I assume you use the cocnut water in your workout drink in place of normal water? Are you concerned about the sugar content of the coconut water?

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Eww! :doh:

Not to argue with George, but according to my mother, if a bird poops on you, it's supposed to be good luck. To date I haven't found that to be true seeing how many times I've been either pooped on or stuck my hand in bird poop from my own birds, but I digress. Mother has always been a optimist.

I know somebody that was hit by lightening. I think he still has that raccoon skin hat that he was wearing when he was struck. I guess he didn't want to forget as the hat took hit. He was a odd man to begin with and now, he's just alittle more odd. He's harmless and would give a person the shirt off his back if they asked for it, but now he does things that makes a person wonder "What was he thinking?"

4. mastover

Hi George, I agree that you have to beware of frauds and frameup companies. Much like protein powders where some of these companies are putting out an inferior product and don't hold up to their label claims. Companies such as these don't have much longevity. I like the coconut water I've been using. I notice that my hands and feet don't cramp up much anymore. A problem I've been having for years. And no matter how much water or liquid I drink, my electrolyte levels are low on my blood tests. Hopefully the coco water will help. I'm not concerned about the sugar content since there is only 11 grams carbs in the 17 ounce pouch and I am consuming it around the training window. More importantly, as long as I can account for the calories into my intake by the end of the day, it makes no difference. Hitting your macro's by the end of the day trumps meal timing.

I think that if I survived a direct lightening hit, I'd turn into a completely 'normal' person. Now THAT'S scary!!:scared: :nod:

5. AureusBlue

AureusBlue Member

Oh man, with my family from the Caribbean and living in Florida, fresh coconut water is something we get all the time. I love it. I usually drink it straight from the coconut. I have never had the store bought stuff. It's really good to hear about the positive effects of it though.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    More because she likes the taste of it than for pure health reason, my daughter started drinking coconut water this summer.

7. mastover

I can't find my Stevie Ray Vaughn DVD! :mad:
    This was taped at the Austin City Limits series. He had a lot of good stuff, especially Voodoo Chile, Lenny, and an incredible emotionally charged version of Riviera Paradise. I'll have to look in my mom's house next.

Had a good workout this morning at Doplhin House Bronx NY.

Leg Press: 2x450 12,11 reps ( 3 second negative)
    Machine Hack Squats: 1x15 reps with 2 plates each side
    Seated Leg Curl: (bent forward at the waist) 1x9 reps weights went up)
    Glute Ham Raise: 1x6 reps (very hard!)
    Seated Calf Raise: 1x20, 16
    Standing Calf Raise: 1x3/4 of stack for 11 reps
    BB Row: 2x205x10,10 (easy)
    Weighted Dips: 2x65x10,8 reps (easy, not to failure)
    Flat DB Press: 1x75x10 reps
    DB Curl: 1x40x12
    DB Lateral Raise: 1x30x20
    DB Skullz: 1x35x10

PRE,INTRA, POST: sipped on 50 grams WPI mixed in 17 oz coconut water and 4 ounce water.

M1: 8 ounce chicken breast, 1 cup oatmeal, 4 fish oil caps
    M2: 10 egg whites, 1 yolk, 2 cups cauliflower mashed potatoes with garlicsalt
    M3: 8 ounce eye of round steak, 8 ounce Yukon gold potatoes, 4 grams cratine monohydrate
    M4: 10 egg whites, 1 peach, 1 orange, 4 fish oil caps, 3 gr. d-aspartic acid.

My final meal will probably be a UMP protein shake mixed in with almond butter and eaten as pudding, and maybe some oatmeal.

#207 mastover, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. george mavridis

I see you have replaced the juice in your workout drink with the coconut water.

9. mastover

I'll give it the old test drive and report back with my thoughts in about 4 weeks. :tucool:

10. george mavridis

Will be interested to hear how it went for you.

11. mastover

Three weeks ago I was in an accident. I was riding a city bus when the bus driver attempted to swerve around a car trying to beat the light with a left turn. The bus smacked sideways into a telephone pole. I got messed up real bad. I was hospitalized for seven days, in bed most of the time. I was released last week and now I'm home recovering. Concussion (the grade is still inconclusive), broken heel bone, deep chest contusion that could've fractured my breast bone. That could've been fatal. I also had heart attack symptoms and my blood pressure rose to dangerous levels. Tests for the heart attack proved negative. The doc told me my pec development probably saved me from severe complications. My good buddy, who happens to be a police sargeant, brought my lap top to the hospital on the first night and I was able to stay on top of all my clients. In fact, my hospital stay gave me extended time with clients and I took up two new clients in the process. :tucool: My bud also took care of my pets. He has two cats and a dog himself, and his girlfriend has two cats in her home so I knew my pets were being cared for with love. I can't repay him enough.

I lost eleven pounds in the hospital. I refused to eat their 'food'. It was disgusting. They once put a tray in front of me with a bell on the plate. A breaded deep fried concoction shaped like a bell. I asked them what it was and they said it was a turkey/mushroom casserole. I sent the tray flying end over end across the room. Needless to say, the nurses were mega pissed at me, LOL. At night when I was asleep they would try to sneak a feeding tube down my throat. I would wake up and rip it out. Since I've been home now I've been eating everything in sight and have put back about four pounds.

My headaches have been bad but they are now subsiding. I have a bruise the circumference of a large grapefruit on my chest but I am glad I had no breaks. The doc told me it could have been fatal. Again, bodybuilding has saved my life. I have a boot around my ankle, but tomorrow I am going to walk with crutches to the gym and train. I have spent a lot of time figuring out what exercises I can and cannot do. It still hurts to breathe, but there's no whimping out now. I'm actually feeling better today.

I didn't allow any visitors while I was in the hospital. Just my buddy, Ed (the police sargeant). I gues if I were married or had a significant other, I would've allowed them to visit.... Maybe. But I had to deal with this on my own.

It's interesting how an experience such as this one can lift you from the doldrums of complacency. Before the accident I was cheating a lot on my diet. My training intensity was not to the caliber of what I normally bring to the gym. I was watching too much TV. So on and so on. Now all that will change. I have used up another one of my "nine lives". This is why I think I like cats. We have nine lives. But I don't know how many I've got left. :) I'm going to make the best of it. :nod:

I have my training planned, my diet planned (all my meals for the week, except for breakfast, were cooked and prepared last night).

It's time to rock & roll. :tu:

12. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I was wondering where you disappeared to. Instead of being my usual thorn in one's side, I figured you'd re-appear eventually.

I'm sorry for what happened, but I'm glad to see that you're on the mend.

Serious stuff going on with you. You don't need me to tell you this, but make sure you tune in into what you're body is telling you. Being tenacious is one thing, planting yourself back into the hospital that serves turkey/ mushroom casserole that comes in the form of a bell ( Gross!!) is another.

Be good! :)

13. george mavridis

Aram, sorry to hear about the accident, thankfully you weren't seriously hurt although it doesn't sound like you came away totally unscathed. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope the concusion isn't anything to worry about. Sending you healing vibes buddy.

14. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    When I read this from the last post backward, I was hoping against hope that it wasn't a motorcycle accident, and I had to read your post twice to verify that it was a city bus. I hope you are planning appropriate legal action, as the injuries not only affected your work but your fitness as well. As someone who earns a part of their living by being able to train (and train others) that's something which should be considered. In any event, glad to hear that you are on the mend.

15. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

i thought motor cycle too when i saw the first sentence. heal up aram and what a great attitude you are displaying. :tucool:

16. AureusBlue

AureusBlue Member

Aram, I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you. I was a little in shock when I read it this morning, because in the last three weeks you've been dealing with this (and I haven't known), every single one of my questions were answered and I still got feedback necessary to move forward with my own goals. This is testament to your dedication and I can not tell you how grateful I am. I'm even MORE motivated now.

-Mahendra

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Aram, I'm sorry to read about what you've been going through. Like others I had to read your post twice to make sure you weren't on your motorcycle. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

18. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wow, that sucks. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

19. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

glad you are back Mastover; I was worried that you had a really bad bike accident.

20. mastover

Thanks everybody. :tucool:

It's been a challenging week, but I hobbled to the gym 3 times last week and got my training in. What normally is a 12 minute walk to Dolphin Fitness turned into a 30 minute walk with crutches but due to my limitations I came on to some exercises I either hadn't done before, or hadn't done in quite some time. My chest injury really impaired my breathing and endurance, relinquishing me to lower reps with heavy weight and not taking any set to failure. I did develop some bad headaches after my first training day since the accident, but after eating and laying down for a few hours the pain seemed to subside. I was happy to discover that I could do leg presses with my broken heel bone. Hack squats on the machine were out. I gave them a go, but as soon as the knee went beyond the toe, the stretch was just too severe for the heel. On the leg presses I kept my feet higher on the plate to keep the lower leg on line with the toe and there was little pain. I think the most painful part was the walk home. LOL.

Some movements I was able to do:
    T Bar Rows
    Leg Presses
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Incline Presses
    Seated Shrugs
    Seated BB curls

Last week was an acclimation 'feel out' week, and this week will be higher intensity. Eating has been very good. Lots of eggs, egg whites, chicken, tuna, potatoes, green beans, potatoes, and protein shakes with olive oil. My weight is about two pounds shy of pre accident and all systems are go for a successful mass gain for these final three months of the year. I don't believe at all that I will miss a beat.

From now on if I want to travel anywhere in the city, I'm taking my Harley. Mass transit is much too dangerous. :rolleyes:

:cool: