1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Without Struggle, There Is No Victory

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by mastover, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

This is a journal of my training, supplementation, and diet. Downstairs in my private journal I share more personal observations, experiences, thoughts, opinions, musings, ramblings, and what I perceive as reality. This has been a crazy year in all respects. Last year I competed probably for the last time. Winning the OCB New Hampshire Natural Overall at the age of 51 1/2. Preparing for this show squeezed every ounce of energy, both mental and physical, out of me. I also ran through the entire gamut of self doubt I usually embrace at contest time. "I'll never do well". "I will embarrass myself". "No way I can stay on this diet", "Why am I doing this?", and every other debilitating and self destructive notion in existence. But in the end I was champion once more. The oldest competitor to win an overall in a OCB show, defeating guys 20-25 years my junior. I reached a body fat level of 3.38%, lower than at any previous time in my career. Ninety 94th show.

It took a toll. I developed ongoing nerve problems which led to other symptoms, ultimately prompting my decision to not compete anymore. Around this time, my younger brother OD'd, and was found by his girl friend. In my 28 years of sobriety, it was the first time I had the bottle of beer in my hand with the top screwed off, staring at the golden, carbonated elixir of death. I don't know why, but I didn't take that first sip. The sip that would've killed me in probably less than a week. But for two months I couldn't eat and couldn't train.

After this, I got back into a good routine, and probably was overtraining but I needed the release the gym provided for my heart and head. This journal will be about how a 53 year old pro grand master bodybuilder trains and eats. Not only will I maintain what I have, but I fully expect to make continuous progress in the muscle building department.

Hopefully it could provide some insight on how I seize the training opportunity, utilizing training protocols I enjoy the most. For us older guys and gals, never let age be a limiting factor in ANYTHING you do or set out for. Enjoy the ride, and glad to have you aboard. :)

Tomorrow morning is leg day. Yippie!:cool:

2. Sparx88

Sparx88 Well-Known Member

I've been gone for a while and missed alot, I'm sorry to hear about your recent dealings. Looking forward to following this one.

#2 Sparx88, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As with your other journals, I'm looking forward to following this one. :tucool:

4. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your brother. You're also the last guy I would expect to have self doubt about himself before the big contest. Helps me to realize that self doubt is probably normal and something we probably all have to overcome.

5. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Subscibed and anxiously awaiting new posts. Thank you for sharing such personal feelings. And perhaps some training secrets. ;)

6. mastover

Dec. 14th, Powerhouse Gym, Bronx NY

Wanted to squat yesterday but my left rear delt has been very painful the last two weeks. I don't know whether it's a strain or some other kind of inflammation. I got under the bar, but when I squeezed my shoulder blades together the pain erupted. I had to switch to leg presses and knew I had to really put forth the intensity. I had to use some imagination, but afterwards I was one tired puppy.

3 warmup sets
    5 plates each side for 14,4,3,2,1,1 reps (25 rest/pause reps)
    5 plates each side for 12,3,3,2,1 reps (21 rest/pause reps)
    5 plates each side for 10,3,2,2,2,1 reps (20 rest/pause reps)

4 plates each side for 3 sets of 17 reps (continuous non-pause reps)

4 plates each side for 14, drop to 3 plates for 13, drop to 2 plates for 15

4 plates each side for 12, drop to 3 plates for 12, drop to 2 plates for 15

4 plates each side for 10, drop to 3 plates for 11, drop to 2 plates for 15, drop to 1 plate each side for 21 reps to failure.

I used 45 lb plates. I also varied my foot position on every set.

The day after a leg workout if my body weight shoots up a bit, then I know I had an effective workout. This morning I weighed 153.4 lbs, a 1.6 lb. gain from yesterday. Yep... mission accomplished, although I'll probably need a walking cane to get around today. :)

Nutrition for Dec. 14th:
    PRO - 224 grams
    CHO - 234 grams
    FAT - 92 grams
    CALORIES - 2660

Supps: multi vitamin, cissus, 6 CORE TEST caps, 4 gr creatine monohydrate, fish oil

7. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

How do you get over these issues? I had a long look at my life a few days ago, trying to figure out why I haven't achieved a lot of my goals in fitness and in life, and in the end it comes down to these same factors. They seem so heavily ingrained in me, and I am trying to determine ways re-wire myself. So how do you do it?

8. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Mastover, I have a question.

You're obviously in fantastic shape and very fit and strong, but, as a newbie, I'm interested in how you would fair in say, a game of soccer, or American football.

Is your cardio also excellent or does this not concern you? Could you, for instance, complete a marathon comfortably?

Sorry if you've answered this before or if you think I'm stupid.

9. mastover

We all go through this at one time or other, after all... we are only human. I usually get this way when I am low carb and contest prep mode. Training and dieting for a show, while taking care of the every day affairs of life, is quite stressful and does a job on your mind. Force of will is what works for me. And once you shatter that glass of insecurity and self doubt, your confidence and mental strength becomes more and more re-enforced.

Not a stupid question at all. I've played all these sports in high school and football. And if you want a good cardio workout, try my leg workout with the weights I used, under 35 minutes. :cool:

Every year I run the 5k turkey trot here at Thanksgiving. And although I never run or train for it, I finish the race in a time that's somewhere in the middle of the pack. But to be fair, I have no intention of training or running for a marathon, or playing soccer. All my CV health is cultivated through my weight training and my genetics.

10. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

So when you made those life altering decisions in your mid 20's, you simply willed yourself out of all the negativity? Am I to assume it's the same thing with contest prep? Did/Do you use any sort of techniques? Was it simply because you hit the iron, and incrementally built yourself up?

11. mastover

The iron cures all ills. :nod:

12. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

I guess you are living proof of that.:nod:

13. mastover

Dec. 16th, Bronx House, bronx ny

Weighted Dips:
    2x100x8,6

Reverse Grip Bench Press on Smith machine:
    2x180x6,5

Superset: Low Cable Crossovers supered with jack knife pushups
    3 sets to failure on each exercise, 15-9 reps

DB Skullz: (head hanging off the end of the bench)
    3x35x10,8,6

Long Hammer Bar Cable Pushdowns:
    2x90x10,8 drop to 50 fro 12 reps to failure

Unilateral Toe Raises on Leg Press machine:
    4x 2 plates each side for 10,9,8,7 reps

On all my pushdown variants on the cable machine for the triceps, I never stand up erect, rather I bend over at a 45 degree angle. This method hits the tri's harder AND the abs. The next day, if I also do weighted dips, my lower abs are sore. I almost never trains abs directly.

Diet for Dec. 16th:
    PRO - 230 grams
    CHO - 244 grams
    FAT - 92 grams
    Calories - 2724

Supps: multi vitamin, 4 grams creatine monohydrate, 6 CORE Test caps, 500 mg. Cissus, fish oil

14. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Congratulations Sir!!!........:tucool:

What absolutely amazes me about you is your ability to triumph.

We all know that lifting weights is the easy part figuratively...

The real work/determination begins with diet/training frequency/recovery times/ and self discipline. That is where the mental toughness comes in. And that 's where millions fail.

If you were into boxing you' d probably be a champ at that too.

Trainers in that sport are the first to point out that 75% of that game is all about the mental toughness of the participant.

It is obvious that you've had to overcome many hurdles.
    It is also obvious that you have the necessary inner strength to get you there.

The true test of a person's mental strength isn't when things are going good.
    It's when they have no more cards to play and they feel like they can't go on.
    You pass with flying colors.......again and again and again........

So again I have to say :-

110% Congratulations!!!!........You are a real inspiration........Many people lift weights--few achieve your kind of success....

:bow::bow::bow::bow::tucool:

#14 HevyMetal, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  15. mastover

Hevy, depending on whether I'm still alive in another ten years, if I am in half the shape and health you are by that time, I'll be here on JSF bragging and boasting about my good fortune. Trust me. :nod:

Dec. 19th, Bronx House Gym, bronx ny

Old School BB Rows:
    3x235x5
    1x185x16

Close Grip Chins:
    3x16, 14, 11

DB Rows:
    2x125x10,8

Barbel Shrugs:
    2x225x20,20

Reverse Hypers:
    1x35x15
    1x35x12, drop to bodyweight for 15 reps to failure

I always see people doing bent rows and stiff leg deadlifts incorrectly. Rounding their backs, standing on aerobic steps, bending over without recruiting the hamstrings by not pushing the glutes back, the list goes on. When doing barbell rows, sit back on your heels. This simple maneuver will not only allow you to naturally arch your lower back, but it''ll prevent the shoulders from rounding forward and successfully allow you to pop out the chest. Same for the SDL's, sit back on your heels and don't come up on the balls of your feet.

On the reverse hypers, I like to come up on my toes to get a deeper burn in the lower back and hamstrings.

Diet for Sunday, Dec. 18th:
    PRO- 205 grams
    CHO- 278 grams
    FAT- 98 grams
    CALORIES- 2814

Supps: 4 gr creatine monohydrate, 6 CORE TEST caps, fish oil, multi-vitamin

16. mastover

Dec.21 Bronx House Gym, bronx ny

This morning I trained hamstrings, biceps, and calves. I train biceps maybe once every 3 weeks. The only time I'll train them more frequently is pre contest. Along with all the posing practice, they become harder, more sculpted and dimensional. Otherwise, I hate training the biceps. The burn is too weird. But when I do, the next day they feel like someone beat me about the arms with a baseball bat.

Horizontal Unilateral Leg presses on Cybex Machine:
    2 sets of 12,10 reps

Seated Leg Curls
    2 sets of 6,4 reps

BB Stiff Leg Dead Lifts: 2 warms
    1x225x10
    1x255x5
    1x275x3
    1x315x2

DB Hammer Curls: 1 warm
    2x50x10,8

One Arm DB Preacher Curls:
    2x35x8,6

BB Curls: drop sets
    1x90x8, drop to 60 for 10
    1x80x10, drop to 50 for 14 reps to failure

About 75% of the time I'll use lower reps for the hamstrings. Since they are primarily composed of white twitch fibers, they've responded very well over the years when I made this switch. I like to use the seated leg curl machine and the horizontal leg press. For the seated leg curls, I bend forward at the waist. This positioning not only allows you to use more weight, but it targets the glute/ham tie-ins more effectively. The single leg press on the horizontal seated machine not only crushes the teardrop, but hammers the upper hams and glutes. I mean, it absolutely crushes them. For you ladies (and guys) who are always fussing and worrying about SBS (saggy butt syndrome), the horizontal leg press done one leg at a time is the ticket to the promised land. :tucool:

DIET for Dec. 20th:
    Well I was doing good up until 3PM, but around 7PM I became voraciously famished and took a walk to the all-you-can-eat Mongolian place. And wouldn't you know, it was Alaskan King Crab Day and Sushi Day. YIPPIE!!!!:claphigh:

Today I'm back to being a good boy again with the diet. :o

17. HevyMetal

Your diet for Dec 16th......."CHO"....does that mean carbohydrates?

18. mastover

Yes, CHO is the abbreviation for carbohydrates.

Trained Quads yesterday at Bronx House gym, bronx ny.

DB Squats: 2 warms
    3x95x12,12,12
    (wow, these were hard! Holding a 95 lb. bell in each hand)

Leg Press:
    3x540x12,10,8

Leg Press Set Bomb: 1 continuous drop with no rest
    450x10
    360x10
    270x14
    180x14
    90x21 to failure

Quads were toast! I don't know what my heart rate was, but it was up there!

Diet for Dec. 23rd:
    PRO-231 grams
    CHO- 278 grams
    FAT- 101 grams

I'm not spending any time with anyone during the holidays. I'm not particularly close with my family and prefer being alone most times. But this prevents me from over eating during holidays. I make my own meals and eat clean right throughout. When I indulge too much with unhealthy foods, I basically feel like crap for days afterwards. I guess I'll always carry that solitary boduilder mentality with me right to the end. But that's how I roll, and I laks it. :cool:

19. HevyMetal

Well....certainly wishing you a very good Christmas!...

Cheers....HM.......:)

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Merry Christmas Aram!