1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Will this bulk me up? please help me out

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by MikeAndLiz, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

ok first off i'm 22 I weight 180 and i'm 5"11

here is my diet and workout schedule

im just going to put what i eat throughout the day and the excercises that im going to do the food is going to be the same everyday

7 eggs
    1 can of spaghetti rings
    2 cans of tuna
    3 cups of yogurt
    1 package of ramen noodles
    8 slices of wheat bread with peanut butter on each slice

heres the calories protein and carbs i didnt put the fat because it is high due to the peanut butter but thats good fat and i know thats no excuse but to be honest i never keep track of the fat in the foods unless they are high and in these foods they are not anyway here it is

on another note I know this is way over my calorie protein and carb needs and also im assuming i put 4 tbsp on each slice of bread

calories= 6,230
    carbs= 486
    protein= 307

on monday i workout my biceps triceps forearms and shoulders
    on tuesday its my legs
    wednesday rest day
    thursday back
    friday rest day
    saturday chest
    sunday rest and start all over again

please let me know what you guys think

2. likne932

likne932 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

What bodyfat % are you at? Is your metabolism really high? I'm thinking that 6200 kcal per day will definitely bulk you up, but probably more in the midsection than you'd like. That sounds to me how much somebody who is lean at 250+ pounds might bulk on.

EDIT - just re-read your post. Unless those are really big pieces of bread I bet you're not putting 4 tablespoons of peanut butter on each slice :). Are you sure that's right?

3. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

my bodyfat is 14%

4. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Hey, where's the fruit, veggies, and red meat? Oats?

Lose the spaghetti o's and ramen. That stuff doesn't even taste good.

Read the stickies on nutrition and bulking.

What do your workouts look like?

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Great point. Mike: how do you know it's 4 tablespoons? I used to think I was eating 2 tablespoons, then I got a food scale and found out I was off.

Anyway, sorry to say but your diet isn't that great. Maybe you can get away with dirty bulking like this, I don't know but that's not my major concern (yet). My major concern is the fact that you've listed zero fruits and zero vegetables. Personally I eat a ton of veggies but I'm not saying you have to. But you should certainly try to have AT LEAST one serving a day IMHO.

But let's get into these food choices. What are spaghetti rings? Are we talking about Chef Boy R D? Why the ramen noodles? Why all that bread?

Again, maybe you'll do okay with a dirty bulk like this, but at the VERY least try to exchange SOME of those foods with better ones, and add in some veggies and a little fruit here and there.

I would like to know why you are not eating more lean steak, more chicken, oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. as well.

Next is training, which you've not yet explained in detail. Please list exercises used, sets, reps, etc. if you can. Also, how much experience do you have with weightlifting? (I ask because suggestions may differ based on your answer.)

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    You're 5'11", 180, and 14% body fat and you want to bulk?

In that case, I recommend about 2900 calories, heavy in fruits and vegetables.

You didn't report the fat intake because you didn't like the number???? Being dishonest with yourself is not going to build yourself a good body.

Because eggs are high in cholesterol, more than two per day is not recommended.

Ramen noodles have a lot of saturated fat and are loaded with MSG. I don't know much about spaghetti rings other than the fact that they are extremely high in sodium.

"Wheat" bread is just another way of saying white bread. Not good.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Bulk whenever one wants. 14% isn't a bad place if he's motivated. If you want to get big, damn it, get BIG.

Try out 6000+ calories- you'll see what happens to YOU. And you can adjust later if you gain too much fat too quickly. Maybe you'll be able to keep it off.

Dietary cholesterol is not as strongly linked to LDL as once was thought. If you have blood work done, have it done regularly if you are eating a high calorie diet.

Sodium/MSG- so? He wants to get big. If he doesn't care about health, then it doesn't matter.

IMHO, the diet could be better, but you have a lot of learning to do. If you're newer to lifting (less than 2 years), pick a high volume routine and be very consistent.

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Personally I would try something more like:

Alternate for 6 -8 weeks

A.
    Upper (strength- 2 vertical push, 2 horizontal pull, 1 isolation exercise on lagging body part)
    Lower (strength -Quad dominant)
    cardio HIIT or higher intensity
    Upper (reps - 2 horizontal push, 2 vertical pull, 1 isolation exercise on lagging body part )
    Lower (reps -Hip Dominant)
    off (or light cardio)
    off

B.
    Upper (strength- 2 horizontal push, 2 vertical pull, 1 isolation exercise on lagging body part)
    Lower (strength -Hip dominant )
    off or light cardio
    Upper (reps - 2 vertical push, 2 horizontal pull, 1 isolation exercise on lagging body part )
    Lower (reps -Quad Dominant)
    cardio HIIT or higher intensity
    off

Lose the arms/shoulders day, that's a bit of a waste

6000+ cals seems a little extreme. You better push those poundages every workout on those cals.

#8 Gordo, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  9. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

my computer has been down but it's working now anyway

The reason for the spaghetti rings and ramen noodles is because in muscle magazines I read that pastas are good for bulking and also I talked to a couple people at gncs and other health stores as well as at the gym and they say that ramen especially are really good when bulking.

The fat is high and i am not denying it to myslef or however you want to say the reason the fat being so high doesnt bother me is because the fat in the foods other then the peanut butter is low and the peanut butter fat doesnt bother me because its a good fat.

I do not know how much peanut butter I use per slice of bread but that could work out for me because instead of getting 6k calories it's more around 4k.

The eggs are just the whites, I take out the yolks with a little yolk sepperator.

The reason I dont have fruits or veggies on my diet is because i buy all my groceries to last me 2 weeks and I rarely shope after that and I dont want the apples to get all soggy or anything because I hate eating apples that are getting soggy or have a discoloration. I do drink V8 I failed to mention it but I do drink it regularly.

So far it's been 2 weeks on this diet and I have gained maybe a pound but I even doubt that, I feel bigger and see myself bigger. Could this be due to muscle memory because I worked out for a couple years on and off but a year on. I had gotten really small and lost a lot of muscle but it seems like its coming back fast or at least i feel like it.

As of meats I might throw in 2 pieces of chicken breast or thighs a day, i'm still not sure.

Last I havent been eating 8 slices of bread with peanut butter on them it has been 4.

Let me Know what you guys think.

10. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

I forgot to post my workouts so here they are

For biceps I do standing curl bar curls but mostly I do one arm dumbell curls I go with as much weight as I can lift 5-10 times I do my sets until I cant curl even one more time.

for my forearms I use a squeeze grip and a forearm machine thats kinda like the old weight on a string rolling it up...I do this until I cant do it anymore.

for triceps I do tricep pull down with the rope or usually the bar that keeps the form correct...Until I cant do it anymore.

chest I use a flat bench that has a self spotter where you just twist your wrist and it stops it from falling and sometimes I do peck deck but I like benching more.

for my back I do lat pulldowns.

shoulders I do shoulder presses.

legs I do leg extensions and seated calf raises and on occasion hack squats.

all excercises are done with as much weight as I can lift a total of 5-10 times and all excercises are done until I cant lift anymore, I never lower the weight in order to continue excercising, I try and lift heavier each time.

11. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

I think you should read the stickies. I wouldn't know where to start :).

Good luck! :tucool:
    Heavy

12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between 6K and 4K. You're all over the map with diet and routine.... I'd agree with Heavy's comment....do some reading, starting with the stickies.

You'll bulk....but I'm not sure you'll like the result.

Your leg routine is all quads....you will experience muscular imbalances if you keep that up. Actually you'll experience imbalances with that routine in general I imagine.

For example, you need to offset the quad exercises with as many if not more glute-ham (lower posterior) exercises. Train your backside.

GluteHam raises, Reverse Hypers, Goodmornings, deadlifts and variations, pullthroughs etc...

13. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Do what you want to. Take a picture, post it. In 6 weeks, take a picture post it. You can be a poster boy for your idea of bulking. I dare you.

#13 RTE, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  14. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

How very "T-Nation" of you to say it like that...

:nono:

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The guy wants to bulk, I don't see that as that strange, it depends on what his goal is.

The 2900 Calories seems way low for someone to bulk at 180 pounds unless the guy is way low in activity.

Blood cholesterol comes mainly from dietary fat, as opposed to dietary cholesterol.

16. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

I am so curious, why is this a dirty bulk? The ramen noodles and spaghetti rings? what is so off on this diet? also yes I weigh 180 with 14% bodyfat and to me I see myself skinny and although I would like to have 6% bodyfat I would be way too skinny I want to look built but not all skinny and bigger looks good to me and maybe when I get big enough I will drop my bodyfat but right now I think I would look anerexic.

17. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I have never seen anyone do a bulk at 6000 calories. I assume he has some idea of the basics of diet and lifting and put thought into what he is doing. he is an adult, 22 years old.

I also assume he is capable of looking in mirrors and would stop at any time, he saw or felt anything that was wrong. Each of us could attack his diet and workout where it doesn't agree with our ideas and he coould get 50 opinions on where we think he is wrong.

Or he might be putting us on.

18. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

All valid points.:nod:

19. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

ok I understand what you mean about 6k calories that is alot, but it's not actually that much at all heres my calculations without the peanutbutter

calories-3,190
    protein-179
    carbs-374

with the peanut butter is how it's high but has I said before I know that I dont use 4tbsps per slice so that drops it down dramatically and also I only eat 4 slices instead of the 8 so that drops it down on calories from bread alone 260 so without peanut butter im getting

calories-2,930
    protein-171
    carbs-322

thats not bad at all, the only calorie difference is the peanut butter and for that I have no clue how to determine how much I use per slice. On a side note I read in order to get big you have got to eat, I read it in many books and magazines, I have a very fast metabolism and have always been thin so this is the only way I can think of to bulk...anyway....what is soo wrong with the diet?

20. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

That is the caveat to the whole thread - and coincidentally, we agree.

However, feeding the troll won't make him go away.