1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Width of stance for back squats

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by petvan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

So I'm 6'4ish and have long legs. I squat pretty comfortably with my feet just over shoulder width. However, folks are recently advocating a wider stance for me.

I find when I setup wide, it hurts ;-) I'm assuming this is lack of mobility in my hips (or flexibility)

Should I be working to a wider stance? If so, any tips on good exercises to develop the right mobility?

Thanks,

Pete

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Who is suggesting that you change your stance? Are you training for a powerlifting meet? If you are squatting comfortably with feet just beyond shoulder width (which is qualifies as wide stance) why would you switch to a stance that is uncomfortable and painful? For most multi joint exercises, there is no 'correct' form or method. It's mostly individual specific based on the person's mechanics, flexibility, etc. Yes, there are certain general guidelines to follow, but I wouldn't change anything based on what others are suggesting.

I was always told to deadlift sumo style because of my long legs, but I always suffered groin injuries. So, after a year of this nonsense I went back to conventional deads and never had another problem.... Listen to your body.

3. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was hoping for some confirmation that I was ok. I'm in an intro class with Crossfit and there is a lot of focus on training. I think the trainers are ok, but the one really wants me to get my feet out wide - almost like sumo dead style. When I get low, it doesn't feel great, whereas with my normal style I feel like I can generate power and get past parallel without issue.

Great advice and thanks a bunch for sharing it. I'll stick to my guns ;-)

Pete