1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Why's it so hard to find double-sided blank DVDs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Skoorb, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I just bought my first DVD burner and had it delivered a couple of days ago (Nec 3500 for $79 ordered last thurs and it's already down to $74 hah!). I see that dual layer DVDs will be increasingly common, but there seems to be a distinct lack of double-sided DVDs. I know that you can't label them, but that's nothing that a jewel case with an insert can't remedy. Newegg from what I can tell doesn't even sell any double-sided. I found a couple of double sided -ram I think, but almost nothing at all on the entire internet that was double sided - or +, r or rw.

2. D3r3k

D3r3k Well-Known Member

i too got a double layer burner but the discs are like 8-11$ a piece ur so much better off buying single sided blanks u can get like 10 for the price of 1 d. layer

3. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

He didn't mean dual LAYER, he said dual SIDED - like the old 5.25" floppy discs of back in the day. I just did a google search on dual sided dvd and there were tons of matched of stores that carry them.

4. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Yes, but were these DVD-RAM, which are really not very useful? I'd love to find just some standard double-sided ones because it would give me the benefit of size, but also RW, since my burner only writes with dual layer, but with a double side/single layer I can use my RW abilities!

5. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

im confused on your last post - dual layer is only RW? what?

you definitely do NOT want dvd-ram as you need a special burner for those discs, which nobody has.

you can use RW abilities on single side/single layer discs....just buy RW discs. im kind of confused here on what you want - you can get blank dvds for like 40 cents a peice these days. RWs are THAT much more expensive...if you did find double sided, i dont think it would be worth the money IMO

6. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

What I'd like would be an RW dual-side disc. Not including -RAM, since that's not what I want, there are currently:

- single-layer
    - dual-layer
    - dual-side

I don't think there are any dual-side & dual layer at-the-same-time disks currently available (ie 18 gigs or so). Moreover since dual-layer is currently only +, there are no RW (+ or -) disks available for dual-layer. What I'd love though would be either a +RW or -RW dual-side!

But I can't even really find ANY dual-side disks at all, unless they're -RAM, which I don't want! Is there anywhere to buy +R/RW or -R/RW double-sided disks?

7. Marcman

8. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Alas, you've done it. Thanks :D

I still wonder why they're so darn expensive. I can buy blank DVDs for about $.34 each from newegg. Two of them still cost half the price of these double-sided ones...and at a faster burn rate too!

9. Marcman

supply and demand - i cant imagine much of a demand for double sided discs now with DL coming out and the fact that you cant really label them.

double sided DL would be nuts tho ;) glad i could help out