1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do I Crash So Hard An Hour After I Drink My Dextrose & Whey?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by inurb, Aug 11, 2005.

1. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I get back from the gym and I start drinking my pwo shake which consists of 30 grams of whey and 60 grams of dextrose. I take about a half an hour to drink the pwo drink. Then after an hour I get all shaky and and my stomach get's that feeling that I really need to eat something fast. It's really strange. I don't know if this is my body responding with lots of insulin. It's not a very good feeling because all I can think when it comes over me is that I need to eat. That's all that's on my mind. And I eat plenty throughout the day I'm just curious as to why the pwo shake does this to me?

Thanks!

2. Sweet_16

Sweet_16 Well-Known Member

Have you had problems with consuming whey in the past? Some individuals have problems with this, why I'm not sure though unless you're lactose intolerant, although I assume you wouldn't be taking whey to begin with if you are. Maybe the dextrose is too much?

3. polyphony

polyphony Well-Known Member

Sounds like a sugar crash to me. Could you maybe cut back on the dextrose?

I don't know about the whey, I had to give it up. It kept giving me the worst stomach aches.

4. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

umm, if an hour after lifting you feel like you need to eat, by all means, EAT. you should have a full meal p+C 1 hour after lifting. it might just be your body telling you to eat up

5. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Check your blood sugar at next physical, especially if you are overweight.

6. pmh

pmh Well-Known Member

It will be the dextrose, try avoiding all simple carbs. I used to experience lots of hypos, which is blood sugar going very low making you feel weak, shaky and confused.

While I agree the post workout shake is better with dextrose for recovery for the last 4 weeks I have not done that and to be honest I feel much better and my recovery is just fine. After my w/o I just down 75g - 100g of whey with no simple carbs.

If you avoid all processed foods and all simple sugars your blood sugar is much more stable, it is the best thing I ever did. I won't be using dextrose again thats for sure.

Might be worth seeing the doc though to rule out diabetes or anything else.

7. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

The dextrose causes an insulin spike (perhaps too big of a spike) -- which then leaves your blood sugar too low causing you to feel sluggish. Maybe lower the amount of dextrose in your PWO shake aand see if that helps. I too sometimes feel like I can take a nap after my PWO shake.

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

The spike isn't for everyone and with a sugar high comes a sugar low. Err...getting shakey is NOT a good thing.

Personally I'd cut back on the dex and add something else into the mix a little less blood-sugar raising since your body is trying to tell you something.

Studies are starting to show that a HUGE spike MAY not be totally necessary to shuttle in protein. There are lots of things that you could use instead of pure dex.

Oats (ground to powder)
    Milk
    fruitjuice (like grapejuice concentrate)
    gatorade
    rice cakes
    serviing of white rice

Some say the window is up to 3 hours.

Also, how intense are your workouts? Do you take few breaks, workout to failure? How long do they go? Depending on how much iron you're pounding and how much your chewing up muscle you may or may not benefit from the spike.

9. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

60g of dextrose sounds like alot to me.

10. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

EAT!

You should have a second meal consisting of whole-food protein and starchy carbs (like brown rice) about 60-90 minutes after your shake.

11. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Im not convinced its the dextrose. I dont always use dextrose after a workout. I often have a banana or something like that. On occassion I begin to get the shakes and and begin sweating about an hour after im done. This is usually after weight training for about 40 minutes followed by 30 minutes of cardio. As soon as I eat I am fine. I think its just my bodies way of telling me to eat.

12. JK2005

JK2005 Well-Known Member

I do not understand this. What has whey to do with lactose intolerancy?

Most whey would not even contain lactose. I assume whey is a protein..thats it.

13. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I don't do this....I just get lethargic..
    Can anyone say insulin sensitive? :p

14. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Because ideally, you should follow up that HIGH GI pwo meal with a 2nd pwo meal consisting of a carb and lean protein, and low to no fat in the meal. This can be low/med GI, some can even use a higher one like white rice, but the key is to eat that 2nd meal about an hour EXACTLY after the dextrose/whey.

Trust me, it'll help! :nod:

~SC~

15. SwoleCat

I use almost a full cup which is 150 grams of carbs worth!

:D

~SC~

16. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I believe i'd be bouncing off the walls!!! My PWO consists of 30gwhey, 47gmalto,10gdex. It seems to work for me. (I get 3g C from my whey.)
    2:1 ratio if I'm not mistaken.

17. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

I can hit up a shake near 100 g of carbs and it won't affect me. People have varying levels of insulin sensitivity. After an intense workout (as most of mine are) I feel very drained. The carb/prot shake just brings me back up to what feels normal. The most likely case is that you're insulin sensitive, and you should reduce the carbs to a level where you feel decent. Remember, it isn't the amount of carbs that we're looking to consume, but the insulin spike that we want. If it takes you less carbs to achieve it, then by all means, use less.

18. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

I dunno but I have found that my shake with the following actually gives me a serious energy boost, with no crash.

20-25g dextrose (i add an extra 5gs on bigger lift days)
    30gs Whey
    Also have 5gs of Mono Creatine and 5gs of glutamine in there.

Perhaps 60gs is good I dunno, but im not interested in eating a cup of dextrose. After my shake within about an hour I eat like a can of fish and some vegetables or something else similar.

19. SwoleCat

Right, I wouldn't reccommend you you do that either unless you weigh about 270-280 lbs. I utilize almost a full cup because I weigh 280 lbs. and have a great deal of muscle that is torn down when I hit the gym and a lot of glycogen/energy depletion.

Henceforth, my need for more than the average. :tu:

~SC~

20. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

hey I weigh 265...lol But im thinking its not as much muscle as you. So my need would be alot lower. Sides Im not that partial to sweet tasting stuff. But I gotta say that prior to adding dextrose in my pwo shakes I sure felt burnt out after lifts.