1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do a maintenance cycle?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by laao, Feb 12, 2004.

1. laao

laao Well-Known Member

Why do a maintenance cycle? Is it unhealthy to go from a cut straight to a bulking cycle?

2. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Psychology

Nutritional issues aside, take a short break and enjoy your newly cut up body! That's exactly what I plan to do :)

I think that's why John does his maintenance during the summer (right?) so he has something to do (bulk/cut) during those cooold Florida winters ;)

3. zamboni

zamboni Well-Known Member

Because

I'm straight lazy

4. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

here is the real reason most people dont know..

say your 200 lbs and are 20% body fat. you have alot of fat tissue on your body.

in a few months you cut down to 150 lbs, you are now 10% body fat. you are alot smaller and leaner now..

HOWEVER, since you were fat to begin with, that is what your body will tend to try and become.

you see, compared to the average person that has always been skinny.. the fat person will have all those extra fat cells. once you get down to 150 lbs.. not all of those fat cells have died off, they have "shrinked" in essence. it takes months for the bulk of the extra ones to die.

2-3 months should be good.. and once you start a bulking cycle, start off slowly, dont just dump on 500-1000 calories from one week to the next.. start off by adding 100-200 first week.. maybe 100 the next week.. and another 100.. something like that

so a person that is fat, cuts right down. and the bulks right up is going to put on ALOT more fat than that same person that cuts down, maintains that body type, than bulks up.

its generally a harder thing to do.. cut down.. than eat a bit more to maintain vs bulking right away and eating more food

5. laao

laao Well-Known Member

I never knew that. Great thanks. Now for another question. Im almost down to my target weight. I know that you eat 10-12 cals for the cut, but how much is a good maintain cal intake?

6. Jimichanga

Jimichanga Well-Known Member

I have always been under the impression that we always have the same number of fat cells. They don't die off, they just shrink or get larger. Anyone else????

7. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

id add between 200-400 calories for your maintain phase.

remember, cardio has to be kept up.. dont cut it out, continue it as much as you can.. and of course the weights to!

it will take probably 2-3 weeks to figure out what your real mantenance level is.

give me your body stats and im sure we can get it fairly close

8. laao

laao Well-Known Member

I am 5'10" 130 pounds down from 150. The scale i have says im at 11% from 22% but i think it may be reading a little low, because i have some fat to still loose on my belly.

I am just starting to see some muscle definition and having some great gains in lifting abilities.

Right now I eat close to 1300 cals as close to the 40/40/20 diet I can come. I am doing cardio 3 times a week and lifting 3 days a week. Each day of lifting is different muscle groups.

9. wolfhalen

wolfhalen Well-Known Member

Yes I also heard that your fat cell count is always the same.

10. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Hold up, you're a 25 yr old male, 5'10" and only weigh 130?? I think you should definitely be consuming more than 1300 calories a day. That is way too low IMO.

11. laao

laao Well-Known Member

what i had read was that you needed to eat 10-12 cals per pound well im just under 130, so isnt 1300 cals about right. I dont find myself overly hungry by eating 5-6 times a day.

12. Solmoz

Solmoz Well-Known Member

I think he was suggesting...

more that you should not be in a cutting phase if you are at that weight with your height. In his opinion you should be attempting to gain some lean mass. To each his own. I happen to agree, but your goals are what matters. :tu:

13. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

I thought I heard that too. I researched a little bit and it seems to be the case. Here is an article about losing fat and building muscle that states "Once you have a certain number of fat cells, you cannot eliminate them, only shrink them -unless you undergo surgery."

http://news.foot.com/news/1343.html