1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Cardio & Weights Should Be Split

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Strapped, Jan 19, 2005.

1. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Strapped,

I'm going to put this as plainly as I can.

First of all, I respect that SC and his clients believe in what they are doing so passionately. That's very admirable.

Do SC's methods work for most people? Based on the number of satisfied clients he has under his belt, I'd say that is unquestionable - a fact, even. However, are there other weight loss/mass gaining methods that work equally as well? Based on the number of people who have achieved incredible physiques using techniques that in no way resemble SC's programs, I'd say that assertion is equally unassailable - also a fact.

As I said, I admire that SC and many of his clients believe in what they are doing so vehemently. What I have a problem with is that many of you act as if there is no other way of doing things. That's simply not true. You are free to post your opinions. You are free to debate your opinions with passion. What you are not free to do (at least on my forums) is tell people that any ideals counter to SC's teachings are flat out wrong. Again, that's simply not true, and frankly I'm tired of the overt disdain some of you have shown towards people who have opinions that differ from your own.

IT STOPS NOW.

SC felt he could no longer post here because he was tired of having his beliefs challenged. That's too bad, but I respect his choice. If you or anyone else can not engage in debate without resorting to blanket statements and name-calling ("I'm right and you are wrong", "What you are doing is moronic", "If you don't agree with me then you are just creating confusion", et. al.) then I suggest you follow SC's lead and stop posting on these forums.

My forum welcomes all opinions. Opinions are debated, and the people reading the debates get to digest the arguments and make up their own minds.

As much as I like SC on a personal level and respect what he's done, I'm not going to allow him, or you, or anyone else to tell me how to run my forums.

One line summary: play nice or get off my court. :)

2. supirman

supirman Well-Known Member

Swat, you don't have to tell me about packed schedules. I get up at 5am to do cardio, then I head to work/class all day from 8-5 or 7 every day, it varies slightly depending on if I'm at work or class in the evening. Then I go workout afterwards. It makes for some tough days. If I were you, I'd try to do maybe 4 days lifting, but make two of them on the weekend so you can get some good hard workouts in where you're not mixing it with cardio and sapping energy levels. This may be beneficial. So I'd do cardio 5 days/week, 3 mornings M-F (the other two lifting), then on the weekends as well.

As for morning lifting, I did it for about a year and it's alright, the biggest problem I have is that I can't lift heavy in the morning. My body and muscles just aren't functioning well at that time. Just by switching to evening workouts my bench increased in the neighborhood of 40 lbs in two weeks. I'm a morning person when it comes to thinking, but not anything such as lifting.

3. SWAT

SWAT Well-Known Member

I kind of like my schedule as it is now. Im going to tweak a little bit and put cardio after my lift on lifting days, (even on weekends it would be tough to seperate the lift and cardio by any significant amount of time due to gym hours of operation), im going to try to stick to pro/fat immediately following cardio and an hour later hit the pro/carb meal, again, difficult to do but usually my mid morning snack consists of a protien shake and milk, i figure i can just blend oats into that for a clean pro/carb meal.

Other than that, i still dont have time at night to lift so it just isnt gonna happen. Its not the packed schedule so much as the timing of everything involved. Come summer it gets even better because im going back to school full time. :) up at 7 for class at 8, class til 11, gym and lunch, off to work 3-11 unless i land one of these police jobs i applied for recently.

4. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

John, let me just say you're a class act.

Frankly I was beginning to have similar feelings - unless advice or opinions offered were of the swolish variety, then the poster (admittedly, frequently myself) just humbly providing a different point of view is derided and mocked. Glad to see that you are reasserting the idea that this is a forum receptive to a variety of opinions. Phew, I can continue to post with some peace of mind :d_wink:

5. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

You're going to do cardio right after, lifting? I'm not gonna tell you not to do it. Maybe it will work well for you. But if you do, I would HIGHLY recommend you at least take a break to eat something between the lifting and cardio. I would say a normal dex and whey shake, but I'm not sure all that sugar would be good if you're gonna do cardio right after. You might crash in the middle, depending on how long your cardio is. Maybe a protein shake with fruit. Maybe other people have some greater knowledge what would be best with this combination of exercise.

6. SWAT

SWAT Well-Known Member

I was doing cardio before lifting at about 60-70% max heartrate but someone else said that it would be better to do lifting first. Honestly i dont feel that exhausted after my cardio that i cant lift, and i havent seen any strength loss as a result either...

The only times i feel exhausted after a cardio work out is my 1.5 mile run days and those are only part of my weekly workout because im training for a physical fitness exam that requires you to run 1.5 miles in under 12:51...(12:22 is my low, 12:37 this morning) After i pass these physical exams ill probably drop the distance run and just stick to the eliptical at 60-70% max heartrate...

7. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

John-I like the way you're controlling these forums. It's one of the reasons that this is one of the few quality bodybuilding-realted forums out there. So many other forums consist of nothing but venomous comments and people ridiculing those who don't follow their plan to the tee.

After reading the whole thread and listening to what everyone had to say, it seems clear that the choice of when to work out and when to do cardio is very often not in our hands because of real life obligations. That being said I've had much more success separating cardio and weights, and have had very negative results from doing cardio first and then weights.

I ran cross country my Junior year of high school, which involved the kind of cardio that's great for the heart and lungs but not very good for the physique unless you are a mesomorph or an endomorph (not many good LD runners are endo's :lol: ). I found that when I lifted after practice (which I tried for 6 weeks) I actually lost strength and size versus not lifting at all. Clearly I was overtraining and exhausting the my muscles at the worst possible time.

The problem with telling people that there's only one way to do it is that most of us don't have the luxury of doing cardio at xxx time and lifting at xxx time and never combining the two. But if I was independently wealthy and could spend my time as I saw fit I would likely follow a program like what SC and Supirman are recommending because they make the most sense from a metabolic perspective.

No one minds a strong opinion, it's the attitude and inflammatory rhetoric that rubs people the wrong way. The debate will continue I'm sure but even if you woke up and lifted for an hour on an empty stomach and then did cardio immediately afterward it's not moronic-hell it might even work for some people. :lol: