1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Whole fruit vs blended fruit

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Proctorjc, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Proctorjc

Proctorjc Well-Known Member

Hey folks! I haven't updated my journal, but this isn't about that. I've been having fruit blends for breakfasts this week. So far, it's pretty delicious. I'll be happy to provide a link to the recipes I've been using.

BUT the reason I'm posting here is that as I mentioned this to my boss today, he immediately became an expert on fruit and nutrition. That's his style, and for a lot of things he's pretty spot on. Today, though, I thought his opinions were a little shady.

His argument is that eating the fruit whole and raw had more effect on the body's energy levels and feeling of fullness than blending many fruits together as a smoothie/shake.

I tried to use my search-fu, but found nothing on these forums nor on reddit's forums. I did, though, find this article (livestrong.com) about nutritional value of blended fruits. To sum: fruit is good as a smoothie and as whole fruit.

As I continue my google searches, I don't really see much hard evidence about this. Mostly a lot of opinions. What do the folks around here think about this?

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

As I understand it:

1) Using a juicer will provide you with a lot of nutrients from fruits and veggies, but not all, and you miss out on a lot of the fiber. It's better than buying fruit juice at the store in most cases, but also a lot more work and likely more expensive.

2) Using a blender gets you everything that was in the fruit anyway. If you eat a banana or an apple or a water melon, your teeth act as the blender and turn it into mush. Unless your boss is suggesting you swallow fruit chunks whole, not much different than chewing.

UNLESS!

1) Your blender is getting things hot. For the most part, this is not a concern--nor is it necessarily bad. It's just that heat can change some nutritional properties, and not always for the worse.

2) You, personally, are less satiated by drinking a smoothie than eating fruit. Psychologically, biologically, some-kind-of-ogically we supposedly have natural satiation markers to help us not over eat. Chewing is one of the pathways through which this works. Also time is another way through which this works.

So you might be able to drink a shake of 2 bananas, and 2 cups strawberries blended together (assuming you aren't blending in yogurt and milk or anything like that). That's a big shake, lots of calories, and filling. Might take you a while to drink it down.

But you might not have been able to eat all that without feeling gluttonously full, maybe to the point of feeling sick. The time it would take to eat it, the chewing, the swallowing, the entire visual and textile process of consuming, the various individual flavor profiles--all of that is working to fill you up.

In that sense, it is a personal decision. If you are feeling hungry and unsatisfied after your shake, maybe eating the fruit would do the trick. If you are full and fine, then no worries. If you have a hard time consuming enough calories, and blending the fruit is the only way to get it all in, then you definitely should be drinking it!

Jaer
    is under the impression that a lot of people associate whole fruit with fiber, but fruit juice without fiber. This is true if you are buying fruit juice from the store, but a raw banana whether whole, mashed, or blended has the same calories and fiber content.

3. arold10

arold10 Member

As admitted, your boss argument is kind of shady. Does he really mean when the fruits are being blended some of the essential nutrients they contain evaporate during the process? I've found that it's more delicious when blending the fruits along with including some milk.

4. AlwaysGrowing2015

AlwaysGrowing2015 New Member

my 2 cents

Using a juicer will keep you from getting insoluble fiber - an important ingredient for regulating intestinal health
    It is better than buying juice from the store for a myriad of reasons. Less sugar, more vitamins, no flavor additives, no coloring additives. Most juice from a store is pasteurized so it loses nearly all of it's nutritional benefit.
    If you want juice - don't buy it from a store. It is mostly synthetic

5. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Jaer
    nailed it.

Seriously, though, your boss isn't off-base when he talks about the fullness feeling (as Jaer said), but so long as you're blending as opposed to juicing, you're getting everything in the fruits and veggies that you would chewing them.

(Smoothies is about the only way I get veggies into my system.) :barf: :cry:

6. Steel Dylan

Steel Dylan New Member

I would say that between eating a fruit whole (when you wouldn't eat the seeds anyway) and drinking a whole blended fruit, it's probably the same.

In fact you'd probably get more parts of the fruit from the blender than you would trying to pick at it, depending on the fruit itself.