1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Who wants to challenge jk0?

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by jk0, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Can we all chat at once? i'm a noob at AIM

2. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

yeah that would be fine, i can setup a separate section on it for us. :tu:

3. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

yep, ill explain how :D

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Josh, I was looking at your new fitness website and I came across your routine. Just had a few questions:

1. It doesn't look like you're working your abs at all. I would mix in a little ab work every day to help tone up that midsection. You may not notice results now but when the fat starts to go away you'll notice.

2. I see that most of your cardio is in the form of running. Do you particularly enjoy running or do you think it's the best method? Just curious for the reasoning-I used to be a distance runner but I'm not a huge fan of it as a daily activity unless you really enjoy it.

3. Do you only work legs once a week?

4. Do you belong to a gym or do you work out at home?

5. Do you have a summer job? Full time or part time? I wish I was fresh out of high school again-you're at the ideal age. I first started gettin into weights at that age and hit it hard for a few years before slacking when i graduated from college. Are you going to college in the fall?

5. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures posted on the site? I've seen my other two competitors and mine can be seen under my thread in the media gallery but we dunno what you look like.

6. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

wont have access to a digicam until next sunday. ill do a full round of pics then. sorry for slacking so much on the pics. i wish i had pics from months ago to see my transformation so far. oh well, hopefully round two of my transformation will be just as impressive as round one :D

7. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I normally do some type of ab workout after lifting, I just forgot to put it on the routine list.

I do like running because around here there isnt much else i can really do for cardio unless I spend a lot of money on an eliptical or something.

Yep I only work legs once a week. Im fairly happy with the size of my legs already, so I just try to keep them toned.

I just lift weights at the local high school. I figure Ill keep lifting there until the end of summer and then find a local gym somewhere, probably the YMCA

I do have a part time job right now as a Web Developer / UNIX Sysadmin. Im trying to enjoy my last _free_ summer as much as I can before I goto Southwest Technical College this fall.

8. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

The new avatar looks good. What kind of filter were you using for the old one? I assume you used photoshop on that one.

I'm off to do some chest/tri's + cardio. Luckily I have a job where I can take off for 2 hours midday to workout.

9. daDUDE

daDUDE Well-Known Member

aim

we should all meet on AIM soon... umm my aim name is GUYthatsFROMhere or you can just click the aim icon above my posts to Instant Message me...

10. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks! Yep I did use Photoshop but didnt use any filters. Basicly all I did was take a picture of clouds, pasted a pic of my face on there, played with the transparency levels and adjusted the hue/saturation to get the blue tint. Basicly like I did on my site (jk0.org).

11. Marcman

agreed. maybe at night time or early in the morning to work around everyone's work schedule? Maybe over the weekend one day? Im online after the gym at night around 10pm most nights, so just IM me and we'll see who else is on

12. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

doesnt matter to me :nod:

13. Marcman

OK, so Im definitely switching next week to a 3 days workout/3 days cardio routine. Right now im doing 5 days weights+cardio and i dont really like it too much. I'll post my specific workout here another time, but I think im going to go back to the MAX-OT type workout that I was doing at the very beginning when i was mostly losing fat. Back then, I was increasing the weight on EVERY exercise 5-10lbs each week. These days Im lucky if i can do the same weight week to week. Im sure it has more to do with my shitty diet/muscle loss than anything, which i'm also going to try to revise. When i get my pics up on sunday, one of us should create a new thread with that cool *challenge format* that someone posted the template for in another thread so we can all post pictures and have a formal set of the rules. I think we should take pics twice a month so that we can see a trend of change by the end (hopefully). lemme know what you guys think and if you want to try to do the same workouts or what. :db:

14. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

im basicly already following a max-ot type work out :bb:

15. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

In the sense that I do few sets/short workouts i'm still doing max-ot, but my rep range varies from 6-10, which is higher than the typical max-ot format. Plus I'll throw in some dropsets on certain exercises which is contrary to max-ot.

The initial gains in strength from starting max-ot never last long, IMO, because obviously you can't continue to add 5 lbs a week to your dumbell curls for example. After three months you'd be curling 100 lb dumbells. Many of the 'strength' gains seem to be the body learning to lift heavier through, kind of like newbie gains. When I did max-ot for the first time my bench was going up each time but I felt like I was just getting more used to benching more. Each time it hurt my joints a bit more and felt like I was using slightly more momentum.

Now I try to change exercises each workout to always throw my body off. As a result my lifts aren't going up as fast but I feel like my body will respond better to this over a longer period.

16. Marcman

interesting. maybe ill switch up my routine every other week to keep things interesting. i definitely do not like my workout right now.

and ive been eating like shit so on sunday when i finally take my pics, youll probably get a version of fat marc :(

17. Marcman

18. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Contest starting soon

You're starting from a pretty good point-I think we'll have a hard time matching your physique at the end of the contest but what the hell. Who took your back photo?

I think for the contest we should stick to these poses:
    1. Front, relaxed
    2. Front double bicep
    3. Side-relaxed and/or flexed
    4. Back, relaxed
    5. Back double bicep

The reason is that if I have to ask my wife to take a photo of me doing any of the standard poses from the side, she will no doubt make fun of me for the rest of our marriage. The double bicep pose somehow is OK but the side poses are just over the top bodybuilder wannabe.

19. Marcman

I think that I'm in the same boat as you. I had my dad take the back pics and a double bicep with some chuckles and whatnot from him, so I dont really like depending on him for pictures.

Anyways, is the pic i have of my side alright or do you want the extreme body building one that you were talking about? I dont really want to take that one, so I hope the one i posted works. I have a completely sideshot that shows my gut pretty well if you want to use that...

Ill take a new set of pictures for 7/1 once we get a new thread going with the pics that you have outlined below.

I dont think you guys will haev a hard time matching me - I havent been doing this for very long, I just put some hard work into it :) Still not where i want to be, so hopefully this contest will give me the much needed motivation as far as my diet goes. Besides, you have 3 categories for our contest so its anyone's game.

20. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

For the side photo I had in mind more of a full body shot like this
    [​IMG]
    I'll go start a thread for our contest.