1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Which muscle is generally stronger? Biceps or Triceps?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by omartron, Aug 23, 2008.

1. omartron

omartron Active Member

I was wondering, which muscle is usually stronger? Biceps or triceps? I know triceps are bigger and therefore it would make more sense for them to be the stronger out of the two, but I was wondering because at the moment my biceps are the stronger out of the two :confused: Maybe this is because I do more activities involving my biceps instead of my triceps?

Thanx for reading :) Everyone here is always a great help (even though this is my second post :lol:)

2. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

I would say Triceps for me, But In theory your triceps are the larger muscle group so should be stronger, I used to think my biceps were the weaker part of my arms yet its my triceps that have been under worked the most, if you got big tri's you got even bigger looking bi's

3. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Triceps. **Waits for chicanerous to explain.**

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused:

Three heads vs. two heads? :lol:

5. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Well, if you want to be a smart-aleck about it. I was awaiting the typical paragraph response.:p

6. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

It's a good question. There are many factors to be considered to determine which is a "stronger" muscle.

If you were to detach the three heads of the triceps and the two heads of the biceps and attach a weight to the ends, then the triceps would be "stronger". This is because ideally and typically the triceps muscle group is 2 times bigger than the biceps. Being larger the triceps has more muscle fibers per square inch.

If you're wondering why you can lift more with your biceps than with your triceps the answer is that your biceps have a mechanical advantage. There are three different classes of levers: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The biceps is a 3rd class lever, and the triceps is a 1st class lever. The strength of levers can be altered some if the insertion (usually the distal attachment of the tnedon) is closer or farther from the fulcrum. I'm not going to go into detail about the classes of levers... you can look it up if you want. Hope this answer was satisfactory.

7. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

My biceps were stronger when I first started working out. I noticed that my triceps were slowly catching up to my biceps. I was a bit worried but I found out, through here, that it is totally natural to happen. My triceps are a lot stronger than the biceps now.

8. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

i can push down about twice the weight i can curl. i vote triceps

9. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

Aren't you forgetting your pectoralis muscles? These muscles bring into the argument a whole new factor. They are pennate muscles and have more myofibrils per square inch than parallel muscles like the triceps and biceps. The real question is can you "move" more weight with a controlled curl or a controlled tricep extension.

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It varies depending on training.

Normally, triceps ends up a lot stronger because your back can assist pulling a lot more than it can assist pushing.

I think a good pair of exercises for comparison are strict standing barbell curl vs. skullcrusher (French press).

11. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

whatever helps, i was just presenting the practical information from my own experiences. in a controlled tricep extension, i can push about twice the weight i can curl

12. omartron

omartron Active Member

Wow, thanx for all the responses everyone! Thanx for the information :) It helped a lot :D

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

What's the heaviest Triceps pressdown you can do?

What's the heaviest dumbell curl?