1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Which is better? Beer or Spirits?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by themuss, Apr 10, 2005.

1. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

I am currently on a fat loss diet, and after 5 weeks of mostly hard work (some wayward falls), I am having my first big night in terms of drinking, I have not touched alcohol for these 1st 5 weeks, and was intending to go through the entire 24 weeks of my transformation (not just fatloss but fitness) without alcohol, but need to live a little as well. So my question to all the members out there is which is better to have on one of these nights? Beer or Spirits? Spirits being Burbon and Coke.

Thanks

2. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

Do you really need to drink to live? No really, but personally I don't drink (religious and personal reasons) and I'm happy with it :d_smile: That being said, I'm not familiar with drinking terms, so when you say Coke, do you mean "coca-cola"?
    Sorry for sounding kinda dumb :o but anyway, try to limit alcohol as you can. Drinking them seldomly would harm you, much. But it sure wouldn't help your fat loss and fitness goals :tucool:

3. ellipticer

ellipticer Well-Known Member

Spirits & zero-calorie mixers are a good choice. Bourbon & Diet-Coke OK? A clear liquor would be even better.. gin, vodka, etc. Follow EVERY DRINK with a full glass of water.. do that and you'll hardly notice one cheat night in your overall plan.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Light beer is optimal when you consider that say a Jack & Coke has about 175 calories per 8 oz depending of course on whether the BT goes slow/heavy, and a light beer has under a hundred per 12 oz.

There are exceptions to the rule, getting diet cola is an option which will cut the calories significantly, but it's entirely up to you as far as what you prefer and the atmosphere in which you're in. Let's face it, you're not exactly gonna order a black candy apple-tini while watching the baseball game at your local hole in the wall :lol:

5. Master Moron

Master Moron Well-Known Member

Well, when you're in college you do. Themuss appears to be college age. Drinking is pretty much all you do in college. It's part of being social. I remember my freshmen year I didn't drink anything and I didn't make very many friends, as soon as I started drinking I made tons of friends though. I still don't understand how many frat guys have such great bodies when they drink like two 30 packs every weekend...

6. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to youth :p but in reality, they generally stay active, whether it be dancing at the parties, working out in the daytime, walking around campus, playing sports, and those nighttime extra curricular activies assocated with frats, etc... The ones who have great bodies don't down half a dozen 40's every night, besides, the best parties are when you're buzzed and in control, not wasted & puking your guts out in the bushes. :D

7. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I find that I can drink a fair amount on the weekends with my frat bros and friends and maintain as long as I eat good throughout the week. Besides, you consume less calories in food on big drinking weekends. I do at least. Not necessarily good for muscles. But when you have a big drinking night on Friday, you sleep through breakfast. Eat lunch. Take a nap. Have a snack. dinner. Time to go the bar Saturday night. Rinse and repeat. My bodyfat stayed around 10% living this way (and sometimes a thursday night out) with a hard lifting program and clean diet. I've also maintained all my muscle. Until Australia when the drinking was 5-6 nights a week and every meal became a cheat meal. Then the shit hit the fan and I put on tons of fat. But now I'm back to normal and in the beginning of a bulk. It gets easier after college and even as you near the end of college. Even now as a senior, plenty of weekend nights I'll go to dinner with my girlfriend and we'll have just have some wine. We'll go to the bar after and meet our friends and have a drink or two but leave around 12 or 12:30. Damn, I feel old. Long nights of drunken debauchery get old eventually. Still definitely fun but not every weekend anymore.

8. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Neither

9. themuss

jsBrook you are absoloutley right. Thanks everyone and I appreciate your feedback thus far. It actually goes a little deeper than what you think. Like I said I haven't touched alcohol for just over a month, I want to have a few drinks and not worry this weekend because its a big 21st and free alcohol, now mind you at the end of the night I won't be half dead hanging over a wall puking my guts out. But I will be in that level above where you have had a few drinks and you say hi to everyone who walks in.

Yep I'm an aussie and because it is going to be free grog on the bar (except spirits) I'm certainly not going to ask the 6'4" Bear like bartender if he can find me some light beer. I want to forget about the transformation for one night and catch up with my good mates who I havent really seen since I started.

So from a nutritional standpoint, which is better, 1 full strength beer or a bourbon and normal coke? I'm actually thinking BB and Coke because of the sugar levels in the coke, but beer also contains yeast which is a killer, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I admire people who can still go out and party without drinking, but every lifestyle and situations are different. Even though I'm not in college, my mates are big drinkers and they have shitloads of fun when they are partying, some of my best memories are doing that sort of stuff. I think if you can limit it to very low moderation, you should be ok, may hurt your discipline a bit, but you don't want to feel as though you missed out years from now, which is why I plan to drink 3 times in 24 weeks, I don't think thats too shabby.

10. jsbrook

Oh, come on. Jeremy Likeness and even some hardcore competitive bodybuilders have the occasional drink. I hope someone with a greater gift for words than myself will jump in here and defend imbibing in moderation. Maybe Jeremy?

11. jsbrook

Enjoy your friend's 21st. As you said, it's one night. So I don't think it matters which you choose. The difference is negligible. Drink what you enjoy. It is was me, I'd go with the beer. And while you're at it, ship me a case of VB or New. :lol: Fosters, bah. Australian for crap.

12. themuss

Exactly. But that being said there is a fine line between letting yourself go for 1 night of stupidity and joviality then charging back into it, and coddling yourself into it and letting yourself fall down the wayward spiral.

I don't have anything against people who choose to not drink or not drink at all, its just our lifestyles are very different and what seems logical to one person, may not seen logical to the other.

But drinking every weekend and eating like a pig will smash you hardcore. I remember I went on a 10 day cruise to the south pacific and it was eat, sleep, drink, party, eat, sleep, drink, party for 10 days. One of my best holidays ever, but when I got back I looked at myself and just said "You are disgraceful." Which is what motivated me to start working out and eating right.

13. themuss

Yeah I love new, but if you are ever back in Australia you have to have a Toohey's Extra Dry - very nice and a clean crisp taste.

14. jsbrook

I have. I like it a lot. this is becoming an australian beer thread. :lol: I agree with you on the moderation part. I think a few drinks 1 or 2 nights a week is ok. Beyond this might be asking for trouble. Too much volume at once is certainly bad for your liver and puts strain on the body. Too much volume and too many nights a week is certainly a recipe for fat. I respect people who choose to abstain. I just don't see the point or advantage for myself.

15. Master Moron

Master Moron Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize you could gain so much weight in such a short period of time. How much weight did you gain in that 10 day period?

Anyway, I don't really drink nowadays after I graduated from college. The only time I drink is when I visit old friends from college. Then it's junk food and beer time, but I don't see my friends that often...actually I think last weekend I had my first drink since August. I figure what's more important, hanging out with friends that I haven't seen in forever, or eating a perfect diet? I figure one weekend eating junk with friends ain't gonna ruin a years worth of work. I always go right back to dieting when I get home.

16. don_1987

don_1987 Well-Known Member

I'm in college, but I still don't drink to live ;) Well maybe it depends on people's lifestyle, but my friends usually drinks on birthday parties or other celebrations, but I still don't drink and thank God they never forced me...

Anyway, just want to say that you can avoid drinking if you really want to, but from "themuss" post, I don't think he wants to avoid drinking, in fact he will drink :lol: And as being said, it's only one night, so enjoy what you like drinking :tu:

17. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

In my first year at University, I gained a fair bit of weight, maybe 5-10 lbs on my 145 frame at the time (last year, 2003/2004). This year though I ate like crap, drank a bunch, and ended up at about the same as I was before (mind you I have much more muscle this time). Since then I went on a cut after Xmas at the end of Feb, stopped at the end of march, and been bulking since. I've had a few good nights out, and had a good amount to drink, eat, etc. The thing is that when you eat clean 90-95% of the time, you wont see as much gain (if any) than if you were eating the same junk. It took me a good few months of half-assed activity and terrible eating to gain my weight. When I'm on a clean eating/lifting schedule, I'm fairly sure I can choose the moments to drink as they come without any long-term negative side effects (in terms of fat gain. Liver condition is another story).
    However, I no longer see liquor as a necessity. While I was cutting I made it a point to not drink, yet still attend parties. We had one of the best parties ever, and I was stone sober. When you recognize this, it's much easier to just have a 6-pack of beer over the duration of the party, get a halfway decent buzz, and enjoy the party and company more than the being loaded. Also, your liver will remember what you give it. Treat it well, and it will treat you well.

18. jim331656

jim331656 Well-Known Member

I am a beer drinker and still go out. Not as often number 1 and I go out later in the night and just have a couple.

19. vovo

vovo Well-Known Member

ah come on the beer is for free

is it that much of a quandry

it will not affect you in the long term, have a good time.

~v

20. themuss

Hehe vovo knows what I am talking about. Were not talking random drinking at some seedy pub every friday night, its a mates 21st where everyone is there for a night of good fun and joviality and the grog is free and the babes a plenty. I just might add that every Friday night my mates go up to the local to get plastered and nothing else, I refuse to do that, I either stay home or go out with the missus.

I just got back from my morning run and I am really getting over it, 30 mins with one break in between, 5 mornings a week, plus if anyone here lives in NSW - I run the cronulla sand dunes nearly every saturday, its torture. Hey can anyone tell me does walking achieve the same thing fat loss wise?