1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Harris-Benedict multiplier should I use?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Vorschtuff, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Vorschtuff

Vorschtuff Member

I'm going to be adding in some cardio to my routine, and so I'm wondering what Harris-Benedict multiplier to use to calculate my BMR. Here's what my week looks like:

Day 1: Lifting: 3x5 squats, 3x5 overhead press, 3x5 weighted pull ups
    Day 2: Jog a mile
    Day 3: Lifting: 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench press, 3x5 weighted pull ups
    Day 4: Jog a mile
    Day 5: Day 1 lifting repeat
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Would that be "(moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55?"

2. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

Yeah that sounds like the correct multiplier to me in your case. Remember though, Harris-benedict formula is an estimation at best, so be prepared to adjust the numbers depending on your results, performance, and how you feel.

3. iheartlamps

iheartlamps Active Member

Any specific reason you aren't deadlifting or doing rows?

4. Vorschtuff

Vorschtuff Member

Just because I'm following a plan I found online and for the first month or so (which is just passing now) I didn't want to switch it up, I just wanted to get consistent. Plus, I wouldn't do rows AND pullups, at best I'd do deadlifts and pullups. The pullups are too easy now, though, so I'm going to have to get a weighted vest or something like that.

At this point, every muscle group is getting hit in at least one compound lift and that's good enough for me. I'm going to cut down to about 175-180, which should put me in the low teens as far as bf% goes, and so I'm just lifting for muscle maintenance as I am eating at a deficit and jogging a mile at least a couple of times a week, once I'm down to 175lbs or 180lbs and start bulking and lifting for strength as opposed to maintenance, I'll add in deadlifts for sure.

5. Jnwaco

Jnwaco Member

Try that multiplier - as a starting point. Adjust accordingly from there until you are losing weight. I like the bmr calculations, but I am not a big fan of the multipliers - too vague.

I ended up eating about 300-500 under my calculated bmr (without multiplier) before I was losing the 2 pounds per week I wanted.