1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Whey

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by xray, Jan 24, 2004.

1. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Not being in the serious "weight lifting" business and never have used any powders of any kind, I wonder what whey is, and what it's for? Have never heard of it before this forum. Thanks!
    Xray

2. ginger86

ginger86 Well-Known Member

I would like to know also. I guess us novices have a lot to learn.

3. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

http://www.wheyoflife.org

I just did a google search for, "What is whey protein" that site seems to have all the answers.

4. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

5. zamboni

zamboni Well-Known Member

Hey look, that's me on that thread!

In short, read the thread, but if you don't want to, whey protein is produced from milk. Perfectly natural, etc etc, you only have to worry about it if you're lactose intolerent. Even if you are, there are other alternatives.

Probably one of the best uses for protein shakes besides your post workout stuff, are for your snacks. Everyone knows that you're supposed to eat 5-6 small meals a day, rather then your traditional three large meals a day. Can't make that meal between lunch and dinner? Caught up at work or whatever? Just make a protein shake, and scarf down a carrot or some other greens. In less then 3 minutes, counting preparation, you've just had yourself a very low calorie, very high protein, "meal"

One word of caution is that excluding MRP's, protein powder should not replace your main meals ie lunch and dinner. It is high protein, but your body needs a whole host of nutrients other then protein. If you insist on doing that however, at least take a multi vitamin.

I'm not a girl, and I just posted on the females forum...awesome

#5 zamboni, Jan 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  6. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Thanks for great, helpful answers, all of you. Now I know what it is, what it's for, and when to use it. But then I guess I'd have to cut back on some of the food I eat, not to exceed the calorie-limit... And I don't really know if I need it since I'm not lifting weights daily....

justingodin, yor tip about http://www.wheyoflife.org was enlightening.

Zamboni, I think it is great that you guys "peek" in at our site. That way you get to understand what the girls are intersted in, and then you can give great advice as well, as you did! :tu:

Xray