1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

whey protein for women

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Abby, May 9, 2004.

1. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

hi, i just bought some O.N. 100% Whey Protein Chocolate Mint :) yum yum

My boyfriend came over last night and lectured me about wasting my money. He said I'm a girl, and girls won't see results w/ supplements like men will and it's worthless, etc.

I was under the impression that Whey Protein was a good, fast way to get your 40% of protein w/o eating tons of meat/eggs. Also, I thought it fed your muscles after working out.

Any thoughts? I need to prove him wrong and justify my purchase !! :)

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm curious as well. I had no idea what kind of ratio I was eating at until the last couple of days I've started to track on fitday, and I'm running about 30% calories from fat, 50% from carbs and 20% from protein. I don't know exactly how unhealthy this is and what benefits I could gain to switching to the popular 40/40/20.

I do know that if I decide to switch to 40/40/20, I would almost have to do it with protein powder, unless I start to develop a taste for tuna for breakfast. :p

I tried to research your question on the web and found no good answers. One site says that skim milk powder is a great protein supplement, which is good to hear, because I've been throwing it in everything I make lately (including the tuna!).

3. tashimarie

tashimarie Well-Known Member

good question! i've been forcing the tuna fish down daily to keep my protien levels higher. if i dont my daily intake is about 10%, but with the tuna i eat its about 60%........imma have to look into the whey protien stuff!

4. IronPhoenix

IronPhoenix Well-Known Member

What shortsightedness on your boyfriends part. He must think the only point of protein is to bulk up like a bodybuilder. If that were the case, he'd be right, and you should throw that stuff out, because unless you're on artificial test. you're not going to see muscles on you like a man.

But I'm assuming your goals are a bit different; but it almost doesn't matter what your goals are (unless they're to add fat...), protein after your workouts and as a large part of your diet is as important for you as it is for anyone. Just because you're a woman doesn't mean that your diet is not as crucial a part of your training regimen as it is for anyone...

If the fact that you do need a healthy portion of your diet from protein is accepted, I don't think anyone can deny whey is a high-quality high-convenience protein.

5. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

I use Whey

I use whey protein powder. I quit for awhile because the brand I was on hurt my stomach. I thought, "who cares, I'll just quit". The only problem was that I wasn't eating enough protein to make up for the loss. My progress with my muscles started to slow. I started to lose definition because of it. I switched to another brand that doesn't hurt my stomach and I love it! ;) I don't like eating a bunch of tuna and chicken so this is a perfect way for me to get the protein I need without the meal!! It really does help women too! YOU made a GOOD purchase!! :tu:

6. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

thanks everyone so far for all the replies :) this is helping a lot

7. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

If you are lifting weights, protien is a MUST.

The actual muscle building side of protien is minimal. However, the other attributes make it essential, the main one being muscle repair. If your lifting, and your not taking in enough protien, you will not repair the muscle fibre damage that occurs. This is why...

So tell ur boyfriend that protein is essential if your lifting weights. Not for bulking up purposes perhaps, but most definatley for repair work.

Its so convenient, and tasty. Youve made a good purchase. :tu:

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I don't think of protein powder as a "supplement." I think of glutamine, creatine, Hot-Rox, etc. as supplements. Protein powder's food. To say you won't get results using it is like saying you won't get results eating chicken breast. It's just another way to deliver protein to your body. It's wholly gender neutral, really.

Your body need protein after you lift to repair the damage you've done to your muscles. I use protein powder because I go from the gym to work, and it's an easy way to grab a meal immediately after lifting.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I visited All the Whey website last night, and they have a comparison table of how their protein powder compares in cost to other sources of protein. Made a lot of sense to me. If you can't eat as much protein as you'd like to fit into your diet, then drink it.

10. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

this is a great way of looking at it! when i was in college i had practice at 6am.... i could barely open my eyes let alone eat something, so i would have half of a balance bar before practice and half after practice.... kind of the same idea :) thanks

11. kirby

kirby Well-Known Member

Hi Abby -

I've been drinking whey protein (tried soy as well, didn't like the texture/taste) for close to two years now. I agree w/the other ladies - it's a great way to get your protein % up w/o having to cook or get a lot of excess fats or carbs in there. As Chim-Chim brought up, it can lead to stomach aches (or gas, in my case :d_eek: )...I do 1/2 a scoop at a time instead of the full serving. You might consider something like that to start out if you have digestion issues.

Kirby