1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

When to add supplements

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by tkane, Jan 26, 2004.

1. tkane

tkane Well-Known Member

When do you start using supplements? Today is my first official day of good food and exercise.

Today’s food intake so far, for breakfast I had a Zone Perfect Strawberry Yogurt bar 210 Cals 14g protein 24g of Carbs and 7g of fat. For lunch I had a salad with tuna on top and 1 tbsp of fat free Italian dressing and half a piece of pita bread.

After reading it looks like Whey Protein is the way to go but when should I start taking this and should I use a multi-vitamin as well. I plan on doing cardio 5 days a week and lifting weights 3 days a week. Tonight is my first workout I’ll being doing Chest and biceps and running 30 minutes on the treadmill. But is it too early for me to start using supplements or should I stop at the health food store and pick up some Whey powder.

I hate that I have no Idea what I’m doing, but I am not going to let that stop me. I'm really ready this time!

2. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

whey isolate is definatly a must! or at least highly recomended by myself and others. it is a great supplement and i think everyone should have this product.

i hope you dont plan on running after you lift weights

3. tkane

tkane Well-Known Member

I was going to Run first then lift! Should I take a break for a while before I lift?

4. Glamdring

Glamdring Well-Known Member

If you're going to do both at the same time, I would lift and then do the cardio...

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I do my cardio before I do my weight training. For me, the cadio makes me feel loose, warmed up, and ready to go. But I don't really feel that it matters too much. Some people like to conserve their energy for their weight training, so they save their cardio for afterwards. I personally feel that it really doesn't make a difference, it's more personal preference.

6. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

id avoiod doing cardio anywhere near my weight training session..

i "loosen" up by warming up with light weights and prime my muscles with weight acclimation sets.

im not a big fan of depleting my energy/nutrition sources before i lift weights

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Why? Are there some kind of negative benifits that I'm not aware of??

8. Glamdring

There are supposedly. It's one of those things where you'll read something in one place that says to never do it, and then you'll read something in another that says it's quite alright.

The only time I have to do cardio and weights is at the same time, so that's what I do. And you're right, it probably doesn't matter which is done first. I'm just always dead after my cardio and there's no way I would be able to lift afterwards. ;) Probly the ex-smoker in me.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

That is the way I feel, it doesn't matter. It's personal preference. Yes, cardio burns up energy you could be using for your workouts. But then again, I'm benchin 375lbs, so I guess it's workin' for me.

10. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

it "pre exhausts" your body/muscles..

doing it after is even worse

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Why?

12. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

cardio directly after training interferes with the ultra important post-workout time period when nutrient uptake potential is at its greatest. rather than capitalizing on this opportunity for muscle growth acceleration with smart post-workout nutrient selection and timing, cardio directly after training will drive you further into a catabolic or tissue break down state

your glycogen stores are near gone and need to be replaced for maximum uptake of nutrients to muscle tissue.

its like being hungry and than you out to do some exercise, eat 20-30min later, break a sweat first..

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I just did about three minuets of reasearch (did a search on Yahoo) and found two statements, written by two different health experts, on the topic of cardio before or after weight training:

Here's #1.....

QUESTION: Is it better to do your aerobics before your weight training or after? -- Training hard in Huntington

ANSWER: It is definitely safer and more effective to do your cardio before your weight training. Your chances of joint pain or injury are increased unless you warm-up properly prior to your weight training. Another benefit of doing cardio first is that if your session is of proper duration and intensity, you will burn stored body fat at a quicker rate. Studies have also proven that if you train with intensity (i.e. less talk time), your resistance workouts are beneficial to your cardiovascular system.

Here's #2......

Question
    Should I do my cardio before or after weight training?
    Response
    Glycogen stores are stores of energy that your body uses during weight training and cardiovascular exercise. Although, during weight training glycogen stores are the only energy source used. Thus, completing your cardiovascular routine before weight training will substantially deplete your energy (glycogen) stores needed to complete a proper weight training program. Also, completing your weight training before your cardiovascular program significantly decreases you glycogen stores. So, when you begin your cardiovascular training your body burns less glycogen and more of your stored fat. In summary, to reach you optimal fat burning stages and to have the proper energy to utilize an exercise program, complete your weight training before you cardiovascular training.

So once again, there are pleanty of arguements for both. Hell, I even know a guy at the gym that does cardio before and after his weight training. Find what works for you and stick with it. Weight training and cardio involve a little experimentation.

14. Glamdring

That's why I take my PWO shake right after I'm done with the weights, but before I do my cardio.

I've read that somewhere before btw.. altho I can't remember where I read it.
    But, as I said, I've read the opposite somewhere before as well. :p

15. Glamdring

Rofl, here's the new plan!

DB Bench Press - 3 sets
    1/4 Mile Sprint
    DB Incline Press - 3 sets
    1/2 Mile Jog
    Weighted Dips - 3 sets
    1/4 Mile Sprint

They say to keep your body guessing, right? :p

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

So are you trying to tell me that if I do cardio after my weight training that I won't grow?? What about prople who weight train for two hours a day compaired to people who weight train one hour a day? Will the people who weight train for two hours not grow because they also drive themselves further into a catabolic state?? I have a friend that is an amateur body builder who does his cardio post-workout, how do you explain his success?? And no, he does not do steroids, they test at the shows he goes to. I'm just curious as to where you get your information.

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Do you feel that works for you? If so, then keep doing it! That's what it's all about. I even see people who drink protein throught their workout. If you're growin' then you're doin what's right for you.

18. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

lol jones..

its like what happens if you eat a bowl of ice cream once a week if your cutting? not much.

its all about optimization. obviously your muscle isnt going to get eaten in half by doing cardio before OR after. it's just more productive to give your muscle's the nutrients WHEN they need it, insted of exercising more first.

you seem smart enough that you should be able to figure it out yourself.

personally. i do cardio in the am, first thing.. 8 hrs later i hit the weights. i dont know about you, but id rather put as much nutrients/energy i can into a workout and after.

doing cardio after isnt going to kill your results, they wont be as much.

simple

simple like peanut butter :claplow:

19. Xtropy

Xtropy Well-Known Member

On the subject of when/how often/why to exercise...

There are a few great books on the subject but by far the best I've read is Smart Exercise by Covert Bailey. He explains the entire process of macronutrients being converted into muscle energy. Out of the 50 of so fitness books I have at home, this is the one that gets used the most. Don't let the cover scare you, it's in-depth science of the body and how it uses fat. The book is mainly placed on aerobic exercise (NOT aerobics with women in spandex, sorry guys :claphigh: ). You won't find information on becoming a body builder but you will know everything there is to know about PCF and how it's body uses them.

For myself, I only usually take a whey protein shake before my workout and get my other calories from food. I have never been a supliment buff and I just started the whey protein. I take a muti-vitamin for high stress with tons of B vitamins (I work in PC/Network support I need all the help I can get). I also take 2 calcium tabs at the start of the day because I don't eat many dairy products.

Xtropy

20. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

I am! :tu:

The way you provide infomation makes it sound like there is only one way to do things. I'm just wondering where you get your information somtimes is all.