1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

When stress gets on the way ...

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by autumngirl, Mar 16, 2013.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

When you are naturally prone to become stressed out: you need a stress plan in your life to help you manage and deal with stress.

I have found that certain factor can minimize my general stress levels:

1) Healthy food plan consist of whole-grains bread and rice, fresh vegetables and fruits, high fiber, low sodium, complex carbs and lean meat with very, very low fast/junk food.

2) Workout plan and schedule of weight training and cardio.

3) Good night sleep: sleep early, wake up early, sleep for 8 hours.

4) Drink Water 2 liters per day (small bottle of 0.5 liter after each meal).

5) Supplement with B-complex Vitamins.

I think a human body has energy channeled in various way:

1) Positive and productive activities such as exercise to improve fitness or work around the house or reading a book, etc.

2) Negative and counter-productive activities such as worrying and overthinking and overanalyzing, etc.

When you implement a stress management plan, your energy will be re-distributed and channeled toward positive activities that itself will minimize your tendencies to spend time in negative activities.

I think that weight training helped calm my nerves and center my focus and increase my mental power.

After 8-weeks of implementing my stress management plan, my stress level has decreased but I still need more tips to keep my stress level down. Any ideas from your experience?

Thank you

2. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Some nights when I'm laying in bed trying to get to sleep I start thinking about things and picturing them in my mind.

When I think about something I don't want to think about.....I just pretend the whole mental picture is some kind of poster...

So I reach up mentally and grab it by the corner and rip it off the mental "screen" and discard it......underneath it there is nothing but blank....and then I fall asleep.

3. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you on dealing with unwanted thoughts that steal our energy and exhaust us like a silent energy leech.

4. Luk

Luk Member

Thanks for your post, I'm often nervous...

5. thunderseed

thunderseed Member

But these are physical things and stress is a mind thing - we need to actually relax in order to fully beat stress.
    Anyway I do all of these things, and it still doesn't help my stress levels. In fact I find working out all the time adds to my need to always be on the go and doing something. I can't relax! I tried doing yoga, but I had such a resistance to it LoL it was too gentle and slow.
    I realized a big part of my stress was my family, so whenever they are out of the picture and I feel independent and free, I feel a lot better.
    What I've been doing lately is deep breathing exersises and trying to commit to meditation regularily and that has helped more than anything. I realized that I have a problem with breathing properly - it's almost always very fast and shallow.
    Also, I like to get a massage every now and then, treat myself to a steam room day every once in awhile.
    My cold swims really make me feel good too and I try and do those daily, but my mind still races and I always find that I'm slightly anxious about nothing at times!
    I also suffer from mild social anxiety. It is so annoying because it is really mild that I don't even notice it's bothering me, but my heart rate speeds up really fast in public! It used to be a lot worse.

I wish there was an easier way other than meditating and breathing deeply.