1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

When is the best time for stretching?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Idoc, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member

I want to incorporate a stretching routine in my fitness program to get back to the same flexibility I had when I was 16 :jumping: . I am doing Max-OT with a 3 day split and doing HIIT cardio on the off days. Max-OT is big on timing (i.e. don't do too many muscle groups at once or cardio within 8 hrs of weight lifting.)

SO, my question is... Is it okay to do a 20 min stretch routine after a Max-OT workout, or should it be done on the cardio days, or even on my lunch breaks each day (I workout at about 4pm each day)?

Is there anyone that does Max-OT AND a comprehensive stretching routine out there that could help? I welcome anyone's opinion.

Thanks!

2. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

I can't see why stretching after a workout would be a bad thing...

have your protein shake, then stetch for 20 mintues or whatever, then take your shower and eat a real meal...

3. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member

Thanks, Schteevie! That's twice you've helped me with a question. I appreciate it :tu: !!

4. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

stretch after your mucle are "warm"

what he said above.. stretching will help reduce soreness which is always nice :) :tucool:

5. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Stretching can be done on lifting days without interfering with the muscle growth process. To increase flexibility, it is best to stretch pre and post workout. You stretch first to loosen up the muscles, but do not overstretch. Then after your muscles are warm and loose, you stretch past the point of "comfortable" to increase your flexibility. This would not be as effective on lifting days however as it would be after cardio.

6. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

no problem - glad to be of any help I can - but I am pretty new to this as well, so I hope you don't think I am an expert of something... :whistle:

I have done a pile of homework :read: over the past 6 months since I started this crazy fitness stuff :bb:

Anyway - watch out with the pre-work-out stretching as was recomended above... :confused:

I have done a fair amount of reading that suggests stretching "cold" muscles can increase chance of injury when lifting.
    best idea is to use light cardio to warm up and get the blood pumping, then incorperate light warm-up sets into your lifting before going heavy.
    do your actual stretching during or after, but not before a workout.

this is all just based on my opnions and research - so feel free to look into it more. :jumping:

7. karatetricker

You stretch first to loosen up the muscles, but do not overstretch.

Please note the underlined words in what I said. It is merely a means of "warming up" the muscles. I have been studying Martial Arts for over 12 years and practicing Gymnastics for over 5 years. Half of my life has revolved around stretching and when I used to stretch on a regular basis I could stick my leg straight up over my head.

What I said works if you know how to properly stretch. Properly being the key word.

8. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you guys.

I have heard not to stretch before workouts. But I also understand what you're saying, karatetricker. I used to take karate also, and that's the way we did our warm up also.

I think that to keep my intensity up, I'll do my workout first. Then I'll do my stretching routine to "cool down." That seems to be best suited for me.

Thanks to everyone for your help :bow: .

9. karatetricker

When I say prior to your workout, I am referring to cardio. And I know for a fact it is fine, actually recommended that you do light stretching before attempting cardio.

When it comes to lifting weights, I do not know the benefits/drawbacks of strecthing pre and post workout.