1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

whats wrong with my lifting routine?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by luv2spin, May 30, 2006.

1. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

OK. I really need help

I have been lifting for about a month. My problem is that I am not feeling sore. Here is what I have been doing.

"JUST A NOTE": Just started a month ago after not working out for 4 years. not a very strong girl here :)

The weight that I use is enough so that I am struggling by the end of each rep.

:bb:
    T & th: upper body

shoulders :
    Barbell upright row 3/15 25lb.
    Dumbell lateral raises 3/12 8lb. each
    dumbell arnold press 3/15 12.5lb each

Back:
    bent over rows 3/15 25lb.
    seated row 3/15 40lb.

Chest:
    Dumbell incline press 3/12 12.5 lbs each
    dumbell pullover 3/12 w/1 25lb.dumbell

Tri/bi:
    cable pushdown 3/12 10lb.
    overhead tri ext. 3/10 w/1 10 lb dumbell
    dumbell curl 3/10 10lb each
    push ups 2/15

Wed.: lower body & Abs

deadlift 3/15 30lb
    lying leg curl 3/12 40 lb

Squats 3/10 40 lb
    leg press 3/12 40 lb

ok this is more or less the idea didn't include the glutes and abs.

so what am i doing wrong:cry:

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Why is this a problem? Soreness does not mean progress. Look in the mirror, use the tape measure, check your bodyfat, use pictures, etc. Those are much better indicators of progress.

I have felt sore only a handful of times in the last few months and I'm still progressing.

Don't worry about soreness.

How long does that upper body workout take? That is a lot of sets...

Personally I think you should drop your volume (amount of sets/exercises) and focus more on intensity rather than amount of work. But hey that's just me. :)

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I agree with 1Fast. Hey, who am I to argue with a man with 26" biceps :eek: . Soreness should not be a goal, nor is it a good gauge for progress. But as a relative newbie, you should be experiencing some soreness or, at least some tightness the following day.
    Without actually having seen you train, here's a guess at what might be happening:

~ not supplying sufficient overload to the muscle being worked.
    ~ incomplete range of motion.
    ~ using too much momentum.
    ~ performing reps too quickly and not slowing down the eccentric portion (negative) of the movement, which causes the most muscle trauma.
    ~ you have good post workout nutrition and pre and post workout supplementation.
    ~ sufficient protein calories and sleep habits.

Could be any of the above, or a combination of any, or it could mean that your recovery parameters are better than average. Or it could simply mean that you don't get sore. Go through the checkpoints above, but most of all if you are getting stronger and leaner, you are on the right track. :tu:

4. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

Thanks

I thought that i as suppose to feel sore to know it was working i must sound stupid.

well i do notice a cgange so i guess that means it is working .

my goal is to get somewhat ripped. i have been using the info from in here wich is great:tu:

5. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Mastover made a good call. I am glad to see you have increased weights, Those old 5-15 lbs ones weren't giving you sufficent overload. Don't worry about soreness, focus on body/muscle changes. You still might be underestimating your strength

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sore means nothing, neither good nor bad.

You might consider hitting your legs a bit harder than your arms. You can walk around all day no problem, right? Consider just how punishing it would be to walk on your hands all day? Even one flight of stairs would be a massive overload. You see the one legged squat in my avatar? Most people who bother to try doing that can learn to do that in a few weeks. I am not aware of anyone at all can do that on one hand instead of one leg. So keep in mind: your legs are naturally strong, so if you want them to improve, you must challenge them.

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You can be sure that this competitive rower:

[​IMG]

trains legs and back easily as much, if not quite a bit more than arms. I would say she is pretty ripped.

8. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

well I increased after reading the book you suggested.

The reason I don't work my legs out more is because they tend to get big fast. I already have muscle there and I really don't wan't to look to buff. I want to have muscle def. and lose enough body fat were you can see my muscles. I want to keep a female look.

My arms are what gives me the most trouble.

I was reading elswhere that I should do about 4 sets and increase weight and decrease reps as I go along each set. do you think this is a good idea or will this just help strength wise.

remember I want goooood muscle def. not to big. not really interested in strength.

I really appreciate all the help. I have been at this for a while in this site and I have learned a lot. not to mention I have lost 6 lbs. and feel great.:claphigh:

9. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

I think, in general, there is an unreasonable fear of getting too bulky. Unless genetically you are very muscular, the kind of work to get big is extraodinary. Especially without proper supplementation. I think that picture Zen put up actually is a turn off to most women (Sorry, VERY presumptuous of me, I know).
    Take a look at Rockenmama's fitness journal and site. I would say that her work ethic is extraordinary. Yet, in her casual pics on her web site she looks very good with good muscle definition. (Those biceps and flexed quads pics are intimidating, though. :eek:)

10. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

were can I find this fitness journal.

and although I appreciate it I didn't want to be rude and say that about the pic. but no that isn't my goal. that is a little too bulky for me

:bb:

11. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

look, that rower is in the middle of her stroke; naturally, she's at the peak of her muscle contraction. you wouldn't look twice at her on the street. she'd look "like everyone else."

:rolleyes:

you don't get to look "cut" without muscle.

12. airila

airila Well-Known Member

yeah, I agree, I wouldn't worry about getting "big." I mean, I lift heavy in every exercise I do and my dimensions have actually gotten smaller due to the decrease in body fat. So long as you're watching your diet, there is no way you are consuming nearly enough calories to actually put on tons of size. Oh, and when I first began lifting I had the same concerns about training my legs. I thought I would get that bulky look if I lifted heavy weight. But I pushed through my fear and starting lifting morderate weight with my lower body and it's totally paid off. My legs have become smaller and more defined. So, don't be afraid to get in the weight room. Lift heavy!!

13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Right. If you're not eating above maintenance calories, you will continue to burn fat as you build muscle, so while your lean mass will increase relative to your fat mass, you won't get any bigger, you'll just drop in body fat percentage.

14. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Good advice here. The girl pictured rowing, probably weighs 20-30 lbs less than you do. Pics are deceiving. People always comment on my avater picture and think I weigh over 200 lbs. Yet in reality I am 163 in that pic.

The more muscle you build on your entire frame, the more fat you'll burn. And if you train your legs with intensity using squats, stiff leg deadlifts, leg presses, lunges, you'll burn even more fat and get one step closer to the lean, ripped look you desire.

One of the biggest mistakes a woman can make in her quest for fat loss and a lean, symmetrical physique, is not pushing the weights hard enough.

15. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

OK- I'm not a woman, but I had the same concern. I was already bigger than i wanted to be, and wasn't sure that lifting was going to get me there. In January 2005, I was 248lbs (I'm 6'3") and hadn't lifted since college (I'm 36). A good friend of mine was a former trainer, and during a conversation, I agreed to try lifting for 1 month.

1 month later I was 16 lbs lighter, and all of my measurements were down. Even my neck. Even my quads. I had exactly zero pairs of pants that fit me. I've kept lifting and have been around 202 for almost a year, despite a diet regimen that is not consistent.

My point is simply to echo the sentiments above. Muscle is smaller than fat, and it burns fat 24/7. The picture of the rower posted by ZP shows muscle that is under full strain - a flexed bicep, for example. Size and striation are enhanced under load.

For whatever it's worth, I'd suggest taking measurements and lifting heavy (and modifying your rep schemes for a month - preferably two). Check out your measurements after that. If it's not what you are looking for, then you can always change it.

Good luck - no matter how you approach it.

16. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

I wanted to pipe in with a couple things too:

Women who worry about bulking and think they bulk fast are often forgetting the amount of FAT they have marbled IN their muscles. When you lean out, so do they. Also, usually it's just a quick little initial gain and then nothing. It's HARD to gain muscle after the initial little spurt. I know it was reccomended you check out Pam's (rockenmama) journal - she is someone who IS one of the extreme few who CAN build muscle quickly. But even so, realize she is about a size *2* in person.

Also, don't confuse strength with size.You can have large looking muscles and not be able to lift as much as the person next to you who is smaller. I can bench more than some men, but I promise you I have MUCH smaller arms (though flexed is doesn't appear to be so in a photo. Photos are decieving.)

Lift hard. Lifting in a pyramid fashion as you mentioned is fine. it's just one method, and there are others. What IS important to remember is to SWITCH your exercises about every 3-4 weeks. Your body will adapt, changes will not be as forthcoming without the changeup. And being sore, as everyone said, is no indication of how you are working.

Also, more isn't always better. Effecient, strong, concise training is. Quality over quantity. And if you are trying to fit in mass quanities on one day, I promise you that you are not putting in the right effort on the last exercises as you are the first in your series - and that only cheats yourself.

Good luck! :)

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well not everyone ends up getting that ripped from exercise. Here is a picture of another Olympic rower who was the 2002 World Champion in her event:

[​IMG]

The idea that lifting will get you incredibly muscular is not false, but the other side of the coin is that you normally have to invest many years of exercise with the specific goal of getting incredibly muscular. And it takes longer for women.

So in case you don't want to get muscular, don't worry. Ask a lot of men around here who are actually trying to look ripped - easier said than done.

You still want to work those legs though. Good circulation in the legs becomes a cosmetic issue - regular exercise is one of the first things people will tell you about reducing varicose veins. There's a lot of health issues in favor of working legs, but that's one cosmetic reason just off the top of my head.

18. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

wow there is some great stuff here.

ok i agree i probably do feel a bit bulky on my legs because of th fat
    sooo I will work harder on my legs

after reading all this I went to the gym and really upped my weight
    today was arms and I was surprised at how much more I can lift

thanks yal

19. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

I agree with Savyart. Size and strength are two different things. I lift hard and heavy because I enjoy it and I like the way it makes me look. It's also fun to see the faces of the guys in the gym :neener:

An example of some of my work out weights (not all inclusive list)-3 sets of 10, when that gets easy, I up the weight

Barbell curl 60 lb barbell
    Bench press-95 lb flat, 40 lb dumbell
    deadlift-115 lb
    Shoulder press-35 lbs dumbell

I am by no means bulky- I am 5'6" and weigh 127
    my biceps are 10.25 inches
    Shoulders 38 inches
    Thigh 20.5 inches

It is very difficult for a women to get bulky, unless she has a hormone imbalance.

20. luv2spin

luv2spin Active Member

wow

zkat

I think I would rip my arms if I tried that

that sounds great

I can ony do about 40lb - 50lb bench press what a weakling

I am trying really hard to bring all my weights up I have only been at this for 1 month or so after a 5 year rest