1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with the US olympic team?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by jwdiho, Feb 19, 2006.

1. jwdiho

jwdiho Well-Known Member

Does it seem that there's a lot of selfish athletes participating in this years winter games? I watched the speed skater's post race interview last night, and he sounded like he had the biggest chip on his shoulder! From Bode Miller's comments (at least I don't have to make the long trip to the medals ceremony) to that girl blowing a gold medal in snowboard cross, it seems there's a general lack of class from our team. Do they think representing the US is their right? Personally, I think they should all have their medals taken away and made to sit in the corner for a time out. They are acting like children.

2. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

The snowboarder is Lindsey Jacobellis. I think she needs a good :spank: . I PRAY TO GOD she'll let ME do it.

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand elite athletes?

They dedicate so much time to winning and even if they become world chamption, what is the point?

There was an Aussie in some sort of sledding event and to get to the olympics he trained many hours, lost his girlfriend and sold his house and all of his possessions to raise about $300,000. In the end he came 22nd. Kudos for trying, but why?

Do they think that winning will bring them happiness and contentment? Everyone is different, but I suspect they will be disapointed. Maybe that is why some of them act poorly like you note jwdiho.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not against sports. Played for fun they are great. I played semi-elite rubgy union and hated every minute of it. Winning was such an anti-climax. Hence why I'm trying to live in the eternal now.:)

4. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

There are lots of unselfish athletes too. The stupid things people dont say are not of interest. Not all of them are asses and those are the ones I like and root for the most.

Marcus, I think its just passion. Dont expect them to understand why you are passionate about the things you are.

5. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

To each his/her own I guess.

An existentialist would say that passion is the most important thing. I tend to agree, though I "try" to be passionate in every moment in everyday life, not just in pursuit of success. Good luck to them though. I must not judge. They may be more enlightened than I think.:tucool:

6. Specialbear

Specialbear Well-Known Member

well, according to Bryant Gumbel (sp?), its because there are a lack of black athletes:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nope:

(if by all means anyone considers this political/racial/etc... pls delete)

7. badgolfer

I did not hear that. I really try not to pay attention to that bullshit.

I did however very much enjoy seeing the first gold medal given to an African American ever in the winter olympics. He seemed so happy and proud and that is what I loved about it and as long as he always eppears humble I will follow his career.

8. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I chuckle every time Bode fails again.

9. ba_zing

ba_zing Well-Known Member

I don't know how many times I've heard the announcers say.... "So 'n So wasn't even sure if they'd be at these Olympic games but they became a (insert country here) citizen just before the deadline.

These people don't live, train, or have their origin in the country they're competing for half the time.

Olympics are a bit of a joke in my opinion. I'm sure in another 3 months we'll find out some French judge was shaving points.... AGAIN. :nono:

10. badgolfer

Try not to pay attention to the media shitstorm.

11. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

New Rule: One of the guy networks like ESPN has to broadcast an old-school version of the Olympics that leaves out all the Hallmark moments and just shows the sports. ...Now, for you youngsters out there too young to remember a time before Oprah ruined everything in the old days, when we watched the Olympics, it was just the events! Nothing about the heartbreak and pain it took to become the best damn kayaker a man could be. The shot putter just threw a big iron ball. His mom's chemotherapy, his sister's glass eye and his dog, a wounded combat vet never entered into it. And if we'd been told that the decathlon guy overcame a lifetime of bedwetting to go for the gold we'd have just said, "Hey, if I wanted to sit through hours of melodramatic, personal backstory, I'd pay attention to my wife!" [indicates photo] This is Nancy Pitts of the U.S. women's wrestling team. Two years ago, the unthinkable happened to Nancy: she was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Happily, it was caught soon enough, and she was back to her usual training regimen: three hours of weightlifting followed by an hour of shaving.

Precisely why I don't watch. I really don't care a single bit about who these people are, what they overcame, and whether or not their aura was black because they missed the bus on the way to the ice-dancing competition. Television broadcasters have turned the Olympics into a joke with all of this stuff...the summer games are interesting, but the winter games are boring because most people don't ski or snowboard, i've been ice skating but not speed skating or figure skating, CURLING! is a sport, and no one goes out and goes luging for fun (except maybe Dr. Evil). Meanwhile at least in the summer games I've run, jumped, played basketball, played soccer, etc. etc. etc.

12. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Pursuit of standing gives a singularity of purpose. I've found myself that running in local races gives me one that I've never had in this way before. Even though I'll never be winning races, it's a measure by which to gauge myself and it's an incredibly productive distraction--getting fitter and faster. These people just take it to the next level. I admire people who have such a passion. Most people I know lack a passion. Nothing really riles them up. They go to work, make ok money, drive an ok car, drink on friday and saturday nights. Nothing really drives them besides the alarm clock waking them up for another day at work. There's a purity and objectivity to chasing time down a course or around a track. While training and performing, everything else in life is put aside.

13. eleven24

eleven24 Well-Known Member

In 2002 I went to the Salt Lake games and it was, without question, one of the best experiences of my life. Every event was like a giant party filled with people from around the world. Every athlete was just that -an athlete competing for Gold. There were no back stories about their struggles in life. There were no images of their tear filled parents in the stands. It was the Games as they were intended to be - an event that brings the world together in competition.

There is such a facet of the Games that go unseen by those who have never been there. I think it would be great if the networks, instead of a half hour expose on the life of Apolo Anton Ohno, filled their programming time with snippets of life at the Olympics for athletes and spectators alike. The Games are much more than just athletes chasing down Gold. Its about a Russian and an American on a street corner trading pins despite their language barrier. It's about so many cultures melting into one. Its about people from different countries gathered in a town center singing along with a band onstage.

But I suppose the Oprah-nization of American TV gains ratings. The tear-jerking story, and the underdog overcoming adversity is what people want to see. I'm just glad I was able to see the other side of the Olympics & would absolutely recommend everyone try to do the same at some point in their life.

14. eleven24

eleven24 Well-Known Member

Same here. Especially after I read his comment that went "Sure, I could win every event I enter if I doped like Lance Armstrong did". Classy guy.

I had another moment of "that's why the rest of the world thinks we American's are arrogant" this weekend. I cannot remember her name, probably because she finished 20th at best. During the women's downhill slalom (skiing) this American decided she didn't need to wear the protective helmet that every other athlete does. She decided to wear a tiara instead. Her teammate, who did wear a helmet, decided to accesorize herself with a bunch of Mardi Gras beads.

15. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I'm close enough to the border to be able to watch the Olympics on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp).

So much better... no drama, just athletic events.

16. TheLemonSong

TheLemonSong Well-Known Member

I wish I could say the same, and I'll bet if i was at a Luge event I'd love it :)