1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best book about sports nutrition?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by wisedude, May 16, 2009.

1. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

Hey, guys, I was wondering what the best book is about lifting/sports nutrition for gaining mass? I'm a pretty scientific minded guy, and would love to really become an expert on the subject... Just need some good reading though!

2. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I don't want to throw around the word "best"out there. But. I feel Alan Aragon's book Girth Control is very strong. Very scientific in it's presentation. It is not light reading.

I've enjoyed Aceto's book and Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, I'm trying to think of others but I have to go through my stuff (even if there is some stuff I ignore in there)

I don't think anyone could create THE definitive book on nutrition since there are so many countering arguments out there. You take what you can from the resources you pull together.

3. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

If you could only choose one book to get that is fairly comprehensive, reasonably scientific, but still not a very dense read, which would you choose? I'm looking to buy just one at the moment

4. Nowhereman

Hmm, Alan Aragon (the author of the book I mentioned above) was asked the question recently on BB.com (for e-books).

I think Lyle's Rapid fat loss handbook is an e-book. Tom Venuto also has an e-book which has some good basic info. Leigh Peele's Fatloss Troubleshoot is excellent. As for training e-books, I think Eric Cressey has some good stuff, might also look into Mike Robertson, but I'm not positive whether the latter 2 guys have books available in e-format.

I haven't seen if Venuto how/if Venuto has updated his e-book (I purchased an older version). But to say this book is the best...well it's a pretty good START.

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

^^Good post.

Aragon's book is a great read in my opinion. As Nowhereman said, it's not light reading (I had to re-read several sections, lol), but OP I think you would appreciate and enjoy it. I've found several sections in it to be useful for me.

Aceto's book (Championship Bodybuilding, I think it is called) was also pretty good, but I was able to find more helpful information in Girth Control.

6. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

Isn't Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle more geared towards successful weight loss? I'm looking for something to help me bulk

Thanks for the responses guys

7. Nowhereman

Nope, Burn the Fat (shed fat) Feed the Muscle (gain LBM) :)

I think its a good addition to ones library but its a start not THE definitive book. It does focus a lot on Macro nutrient %'s. Aragon's book focuses on the needs per gram, which I think is more practical. It also seems that it's what more and more people are doing. Counting grams.

#7 Nowhereman, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. afraser42

afraser42 Active Member

So you guys think that Girth Control is worth it for $50? That's kind've pricey... but I am definitely intrigued.

9. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

I just finished reading Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle... need more.. What is a good second book to read?