1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

What the *&* My belly looks fat now!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Thund3rbolt, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Thund3rbolt

Thund3rbolt Well-Known Member

Okay I'm one of those few men ( not on johnstones that is) that likes a nice ripped stomach. I've gone to huge lengths to try hard to get that definition and although I know it's a small group of muscles I personally think it's something most men don't pay enough attention too.

I really watch what I eat, no snacking after supper, and crunches etc. Recently I decided to notch it up a bit and bought the greatest ab bench I could find. It's a HOIST: http://www.hoistfitness.com/consumer-equipment/hf-4263.aspx

Anyway, starting off I didn't think it was working too well, since there was no stomach burn or after effects noticeable ... at first. 2 days after several aggressive sets on it I began to notice it was indeed having an effect. My stomach really hurt, so much so I had trouble sitting up for a day or so.

Great, or so I thought, as I continued to use it and build up resistance to it. I raised the levels and even began using it with weights piled on my chest to the point where it was hard to hurt that stomach!

The trouble is my tummy looks flipping FAT now. Right around my belly button! :( It's more noticeable after doing some sets on it but even after a couple of days it still imo looks much fatter than the flat stomach I'm used to.

My question is: Is this normal? Should I expect this to eventually fix itself? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Very frustrating! :mad:

2. Nate Buesching

Nate Buesching Active Member

Trust me on the desire to have a ripped stomach, most people have it, they just don't have the willpower, patience, and dedication. They want to get there quickly instead of taking the time to do the research and doing it the right way (I'm looking at you ab shocker belt :doh:) A common misconception in beginners is that by doing ab crunches you can spot reduce fat in that area and get a six pack. This is not true. What will reveal your abs is being at a low body fat percentage. I've heard the quote thrown around here and other good sites that "abs are made in the kitchen." I would definitely agree. If it is a six pack you desire (no no, not the beer!!!), than you might want to get the diet completely dialed in before worrying about doing huge amounts of weighted crunches. When I say dialed in; I mean counting and knowing as close as possible what your ins (calories) and outs are (Living;breathing, weight training, cardio). Also the reason why you are likely appearing "fatter" or "bloated" is that you have likely added mass to your ab muscles and they are pushing the fat in front of them out further. If you have ever heard of the "pump" where your muscles have taken in blood and water while working out, appearing swollen. The same applies to your abs. If you don't want a thicker stomach than don't do as much weight on the abs. If you want to see your abs, than reduce body fat. Take a look around here on some of the stickies. There is a lot of good information to help you reach the goal of reducing body fat. We'll give you the tools if you have the desire. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :tucool:

Hope that helps,
    Nate

3. Davie mac

Davie mac Active Member

as above:tucool:

4. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

:claplow: :dreamy:

Pretty much.

You've added mass to your abdominals, hence them sticking the fat out more. To get ripped you need to be very low body fat; abs are made in the kitchen. Truer words have never been spoken.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I haven't heard of a stomach looking fat after working abs, but on the other hand, I haven't heard of stomachs looking leaner after working abs either. My stomach looks leaner in the morning before I've eaten; otherwise it's pretty much the same no matter how I work out.

Is that you in your avatar? Based on that, I would guess that it's quite possible that you already have the muscle mass for a six pack, and just need to get a little leaner to uncover it.

6. Geo2007

Geo2007 Active Member

are you sure you did not get hernia with all those exercises? i am not sure if it's called that way but there is a condition when 'staff' comes out from inside between muscles under the skin.

7. Thund3rbolt

That all makes sense but for the life of me I couldn't find anything searching using google based on it. ie ab workout and fat bring up a lot of things but none of them relating to this issue. I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone with that problem in that building muscle mass can make the abs appear fatter.

... yes that's me in the avatar pic, although I think I need to update it though as I've improved since that was taken last year. More definition for sure.

In any case I think I will just do as everyone has suggested and start counting calories and see if i can get that 6 pack!

8. Geo2007

Geo2007 Active Member

9. Geo2007

Geo2007 Active Member

10. Geo2007

Geo2007 Active Member

the excerpt
    "In adults an umbilical hernia will not heal and go away and is often caused by sudden or repeated strain or stress on the abdominal muscles."

11. Thund3rbolt

Oh gosh

It's nothing like that Geo! Thank god!

I noticed that although my bench was good at first it doesn't seem to be hurting as much using it.

I also noticed using the Swiss ball to do my crunches was more noticeable now though. So maybe alternating between the bench and the Swiss ball is a good idea since each seems to be using a different set of muscles.

I'm also literally starving myself but it's a slippery slope because if I don't eat enough I can't lift the heavier sets ... tough to get 6 pack!!

12. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Here's what I think when I think of having abs by having low BF and abs worked with heavy weights and why they might "push" fat out a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brad.... :dreamy:

13. Thund3rbolt

That's exactly what seems to be happening. That little layer of fat is pushed out under the new muscle layer. It's driving me insane and now I'm considering not working my abs till I can loose that layer of fat. Uugh no milk, no cheese in my diet now. :mad:

14. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

I think I know what you're talking about

I have a weird kind of hump that goes from under my pecs to my belly button. it isnt necessarily fat but it makes me look like i have a larger than i should stomach. My diaphragm is in that area, and I wonder if thats whats causing the 'bloat' or its just fat being pushed forward from ab workouts

either way abs are my least concern :P

#14 KoNcEpT61, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  15. Thund3rbolt

Mine is the opposite. It's below the belly button but exactly as you describe. A bulge layer ... HOWEVER, it's actually starting to go away. Now I have no idea if it's diet or from continued hard working of the abs but I'm only eating enough to take the pain away. In other works I eat till it's tolerable and then stop. My weight hasn't changed though .. it's exactly the same within a pound or 2. very confusing but staying on course.

Attached Files:

16. Thund3rbolt

ps - I'm turning 52 in Aug.

17. 3x_umar

3x_umar Active Member

okay two things?
    how do we know that if we are over doing abs and they will become more muscular and will appear fatter?

secondly @thunderbolt, man you look at least 15 years younger than your age, nice going. here are my 2 cents, why dont you add mass to your chest and arms and upper body and dont touch your abs and make upper body big enough so your abs look proportioned.(which i dont understand, since they look pretty in shape to me)

18. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

Well said bro.:tu:

19. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

You look like you're under 40. :lol::lol:

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

When I initially cut I did not do any isolated ab work. Just compound lifting.
    One or two sessions on abs a week is more than enough along with the usual big 5 lifts.
    Get a bf% reading done and then take it from there. Aim for around 8% and you should get some nice definition happening. Everyone is different so just keep working hard and you will find out how low your own personal bf% has to get so you can see your abs.