1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

what straps do you use?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by davey_fl, Feb 2, 2004.

1. davey_fl

davey_fl Well-Known Member

Hi there all,

Just about to order some straps for lifting, and I see there's a few different choices.

1) Neoprene straps for wrapping
    2) Canvas straps for wrapping
    3) Hooker Lifting straps (glove type) eliminated the need for wrapping

Anyone have experience with these? Pros and Cons?

thanks!

2. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I have used all three. Hooks are my least favorite due to the lack of flexibility of my wrist range of motion. They are also the most expensive.

I used cloth straps for most of my 15 years. Once you get good at wrapping around the bar, they are very simple to use. When I use straps, I am normally lifting very heavy weight. I deadlift and shrug 455lbs during my normal workout. The cloth normally tears into my skin and almost feels like a rug burn.

I recently switched over to neoprene. I am assuming that you are referring to what look like normal cloth straps with a patch of neoprene that would go along the backs' of your wrist. The neoprene work AWESOME! My wrist have no pain or burning sensation no matter how much weigh I have on the bar.

3. davey_fl

davey_fl Well-Known Member

4. opela77

opela77 Well-Known Member

One problem I had with the neoprene straps is getting them tight enough around the wrist. They were more comfortable but because of the neoprene insert I couldn’t get them tight enough. So I ripped the neoprene off and used the cloth straps for a while. Now I am using soft leather straps and they are by far the best ones I have used. They are definitely worth the extra cost!

5. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Yeah, those are the type that I use now. I have never had a problem with getting them tight enough. I guess that there maybe a breakin period till they lose their rigidity and really conform to your wrist.

Ass for back belts, I have stopped using them completely for the past 5 years. I used to wear one when I squatted over 405lbs, but that was all. 'Muscle and Fitness' had a small fact article about how improperly people used weight belts. They really only need to be worn when doing heavy weight (heavy is relative to each person). People who use weight belts for bench or when using machines really make me laugh.